Budget ear phones to suit my needs
Nov 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Nathanlgd

Head-Fier
I'm looking at a budget setup of a Sansa clip and FiiO e3 amp but need some suggestions on ear phones. I'll set a not so strict budget of circa £60.
I listen to all types of music but mainly techno, minimal, deep house and similar so I like my punchy bass and volume but clearity and balance is important too.
I'd prefer in-ear headhpones but thats not strictly essential. I'm new to the scene guys so have very limited knowledge, be gentle with me
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 20
I did have a quick look and found nothing of any use to me. I'll try again though, cheers.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 20
Thats what I did originaly mate, but found nothing tailored to my requirements. I've just spent another hour or so searching again. I've found lots of correctly priced IEM's but nothing described seems to suit what I want from a pair of ear phones.
I'm going to order a Sansa clip and FiiO E3 along with a pair of IEM's just as soon as I can pick out a pair
smily_headphones1.gif
I just don't want to jump in and buy the wrong thing. With my PC I use HD25's which I quite like but I'm soon to replace them with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's because I think these would please me more
smily_headphones1.gif
abit more fun, warm and punchy bass friendly over the HD25's I think. I'd like somethin in the IEM department to go with my Sansa clip and FiiO E3 (or 5 if I can wait) to give a similar style of performance for around £60.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 20
I have no idea how the various IEMs I've heard compare to fullsize headphones as I haven't listened to any fullsize phones long enough to get a feel for them. However, if you are getting an E3, the Head-direct RE2 or the Etymotic ER 6/6i would be a good option, but again I don't really know how they would sound compared to your HD25s; generally you have to dump more money into IEMs to get a comparable sound to headphones of a certain price range, and the ER 6i's and RE2s are about half the price of the HD25....

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 20
Ditto. Not sure how 60 quid IEMs would match up to the HD25 or DT770s, neither of which are bad cans. You seem to like you bass a lot, so I dunno about the ER-6i recommendation, even with the E3. I think I'll suggest Denon AH-C551. I think they're a shade under 60 on iheadphones.co.uk or something. The RE2s are a good recommendation too, but check chinesekiwi's posts on how they work with the E3s. I don't remember his conclusion, but they might not work well together.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stretch ur budget a tad and id suggest a pair of Shure SE210's, they play nicely with the FiiO but the Denon's may be better if u want really thumping bass

I have my doubts to the 210 unless they play REALLY well with the fiio. I tried some (friend works at best buy hehehe) and found them a step down from my ER 6i's in clarity etc but I did like their bass for a few songs.

I'd think the C751's would be MUCH better if you stretch your budget a little bit ($100, so about 65 pounds)

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 20
Ahh - thank you very much guys!
I think so far I'm liking the sound of the Denon AH-C551. The price is just right and they sound like they'll give me the sound I want.
Just one thing, I was recommended I used a Fii0 E3 with my Sansa Clip - will this work well with these Denons? some of you seem to be a little unsure. Would it be better to use a different amp or none at all? Excuse my ignorence guys but I'm really clueless in this field.
Thanks very much so far!

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 20
Those shure SE210's also look pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif
and are more or less the same price as the Denon AH-C551's (both are £60-£65). Thats just the price I'd like to pay. So its looking like a toss up between these two although Marks comment about the Denons having "thumping bass" maybe sways my decission a little.
Now the ear phones are narrowing down I'm a little concerned about the amp. I was just recommended I use a FiiO E3 (or 5) with my Sansa Clip to better the sound. I didn't realise it might not work well with certain ear phones. Would this amp work well with either of these two suggested above? would I be better off with a different amp? or is at that these don't take well to being amped?
I'll try and find that post about the RE210's and E3 amp, Jonathan.
Thanks

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 20
C551s > SE210s, definitely. And the Fiios don't do much for the 551s. I'm ABing them now, and I can't tell much of a difference besides the obvious volume boost.

It's the Head-Direct RE2s and the E3 amp, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back