Budget Chi-Fi recommendation help
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tail

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! Looking at TRN V90 vs CCA C12 vs Blon BL-03 vs GuideRay GR-i

Could you recommend me between these 4 earphones based on some things I'm interested in?
  • Sub bass - which has most of that low end sub-bass impact and slam
  • Mid bass - which has the least bleed into the mids, that veil
  • Mids/Vocals - which one has the most natural lifelike vocals
  • Highs - which one has best extension without being sibilant/harsh/metallic
I'd basically like as least mid bass bleed as possible but with as much sub bass slam as possible, mids should be clear but I'm OK with a bit recessed mids (V shape signature) as long as they sound as natural as possible.

Also comparison with KZ ZSX is welcome, I found them a bit too sharp and even a little bit harsh in treble, and I'd maybe prefer a bit more forward and natural mids. I know that all three of those earphones have their pros and cons and I'm trying to choose between the three. For example I understand that with sub bass feel that I like usually comes a little bit more bleed into mids, and with cleaner and more detailed highs often comes harshness and fatigue, but I'm trying to find the best all-rounder between these three.

Which one of the three did you like the most and why? Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd basically like as least mid bass bleed as possible but with as much sub bass impact/feel as possible, mids should be clear but I'm OK with a bit recessed mids (V shape signature) as long as they sound as natural as possible.

"Least mid bass bleed" probably rules out the Bl-03, but I haven't heard the other two.

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Ok so at the end I bought TRN V90, KZ ZSX and Blon BL03, also heard ZS10 Pro. So if anyone is still asking this:

KZ ZSX - cleanest sounding of the bunch - but also sibilant sometimes and pretty unnatural highs
TRN V90 - better overall with a bit more natural highs, slightly less sibilant and somewhat better sub-bass "feeling", however slightly less clear than ZSX
ZS10 Pro - worst of the 4 by far imo, lacking in bass in comparison and unnatural sometimes slightly piercing highs
Blon BL03 - winner of the 4 for me and my current daily driver, replacing my old Sennheiser IE80 - best sub bass feeling, best bass overall, very natural and smooth sounding highs still with sparkle but never sibilant, best midrange by far of the bunch, but also the least "clear" sounding one (probably due to tuning and lack of BA drivers for highs

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 7
Ok so at the end I bought TRN V90, KZ ZSX and Blon BL03, also heard ZS10 Pro. So if anyone is still asking this:

KZ ZSX - cleanest sounding of the bunch - but also sibilant sometimes and pretty unnatural highs
TRN V90 - better overall with a bit more natural highs, slightly less sibilant and somewhat better sub-bass "feeling", however slightly less clear than ZSX
ZS10 Pro - worst of the 4 by far imo, lacking in bass in comparison and unnatural sometimes slightly piercing highs
Blon BL03 - winner of the 4 for me and my current daily driver, replacing my old Sennheiser IE80 - best sub bass feeling, best bass overall, very natural and smooth sounding highs still with sparkle but never sibilant, best midrange by far of the bunch, but also the least "clear" sounding one (probably due to tuning and lack of BA drivers for highs

Nice list. Though I would say the ZS10 Pro IMO is one of the more bassier IEMs (midbass > subbass). In fact I think the midbass is too bloated for me (with a mild midbass bleed).
Bass is usually lost first in a poorly fitting eartip seal, so maybe u can try other ear tips (tiprolling) to see if the bass improves. What gives me a better seal than the stock KZ eartips is a spinfit CP100, though YMMV as we all have different ear anatomies.

May 10, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 7

thanks for the comparisons!

I recently ordered the Blon BL-03 and am excited to hear them. I've mostly been listening to KZ ED9 and KZ ZS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back