budget amp ~100-150US recommendations? (live in australia, so its hard to buy:P)
Apr 4, 2008 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nismohks

100+ Head-Fier
The time has come and i now want to expand my experiences to portable headphone amps.

but the thing is that i live in australia (sydney specifically) and there are NO stores that sell this stuff, and even if they do, they charge extravagant prices.

anyway, i want to spend around 100-150US or therabouts on something that is battery efficient (hopefully runs on 9V) and will sound nice with my UE SF5pro and ety er6i

i will use an ipod classic 160gb with a crossroads lineout.

atm i have been looking at these:

travagan's colors dogbone
Crossroads amp
C&C amps (XO, Box etc) <-- they look nice and have free shipping from the website
Ibasso P1 or something similar <-- can't find on ebay but read that the P1 is quite good on a review posted here on headfi
goVibe? <-- dunno much about it. just rings a bell

Can anyone give me some sources of information or suggestions? and online stores that will ship to australia?

thanks

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 14
I would look for used a Meier HeadSix amp on the amplifier FS forum. Good portable amplifier.

cheers
Simon

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 14
Get iBasso P2 !
I just bought it about 1 month ago. Love it.
I think i paid about $155 USD, shipping included to Adelaide.
Products

Check it out

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would look for used a Meier HeadSix amp on the amplifier FS forum. Good portable amplifier.

cheers
Simon

Headsix is another excellent amp and yes they do ship to australia.
But it doesn't has built-in rechargeable battery
frown.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 14
The Headstage Lyrix Pro USB is my next purchase as a temporary desktop amp that will become portable once I amass enough money and tools to build a premium SOHA with JISBOS and onboard Alien DAC. It's quite reasonably priced, and even though it's in a plastic case the build quality looks very impressive.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 14
x3 for corda headsix.
such an amazing portable amp, sq wise and appearance wise. the battery life is good strong 70-80 hours with my 300mah battery.
the new one costs more than your budget. look for a used one in the FS section. they do come up often.

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 14
The Corda Headsix looks quite nice and small, however i would prefer to buy new, mainly because i have ridiculously bad luck with electronics. Also, i would expect many sellers to prefer not selling/shipping to australia :p

The C&C amps i included because i know they are sold in Hong Kong and i do know some people who live there so that is also a possibility.

IBasso has a crappy looking website but have heard good things about them too, especially the P1 i read in that mega headamp comparison posted here on headfi :p

bbird1927: did u just buy from the website you provided?

any more suggestions?

does anyone know of any good amps sold in Hong kong?

thanks

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 14
haha yeah

i found that place on google :p

some prices seem pretty good such as for the C&C XO or the iBasso T1

would anyone recommend anything from there?

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 14
hmm think i MAY get something from C&C

atm thinking of F1 or XO

seems quite a lot of people like the XO!

any suggestions?

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 14
g'day mate! good to see another aussie head-fier

haven't heard the mini3, but it should definitely be a contender

another amp i like is the mSEED Spirit amp - a real warm, smooth amp that was very unoffensive

rare now as they're discontinued, but maybe you can pick one up used.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 14
lol aussie head-fiers are a rare breed thats for sure~

just curious, where do you buy your equipment from? like are there some good online retailers that ship to aus, sydney specifically without being too exp?

im still a uni student so im not exactly made of moneys.... however i do like my music to make my trips to uni much more satisfying
smily_headphones1.gif

it's soo hard trying to decide what amp to buy, and to make matters worse there are ZERO retailers in sydney (that i know of) to actually test them out.

i am thrown between the C&C range and the iBasso range atm. this is mainly because they both offer shipping to aus.

would anyone recommend iBasso over C&C or vice versa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back