Budding audio engineer needs a quality pair of headphones for lab work and down time
Sep 11, 2007 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bkchurch

Head-Fier
Hey everybody, I was sent here by the AVS Forum folks who claim this is the place I need to be for headphone inquiries.

Here's the deal, I'm a freshman studying Audio Engineering and need a solid pair of headphones for my lab work (my cheapy $15 earbuds just ain't cuttin it) and I'd like to get the best over the ear headphones I can for $150 or less. Outside of lab work I'll probably be using them with my guitars amp, my audio receiver (for movies and games), and my listening to my iPod.

I was seriously looking into Sennheiser's HD280 Pro headphones for their good sound quality and nice seal to shut out outside noise (and keep the noise I want in) but was informed they may not have the best bass and don't sound as good with mid to high range stuff as other similarly priced phones.

Then someone over at AVS pointed me in the direction of the Beyerdynamic DT 250s and they seem like a great set of headphones but I figure I should check here first. Your opinions on the DT 250, the HD280 Pro, and any other recommendations are greatly appreciated and I could really use the help because I'm completely in the dark here.

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
crazy how audio engineers spell bass these days,anyway id suggest maybe something a bit higher quality,like hd600/650 or k701's

Lol, wow I must seem real intelligent. Sorry I was writing that in a bit of a hurry. Anyway I'll check those out, are they in my price range?

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 27
hd600/650 and k701(also all above his 150 dollar budget) are all open would that be wise for an audio engineer you need closed phones. Look into the sony v6/MDR-7506 not the v600 (standard in the industry), hd 280 are also good probable your best bet. do a search here for good closed headphones or wait till someone else recommends some bettter choices.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd600/650 and k701 are all open would that be wise for an dudio engineer you need closed phones

Yea I do, that's one of the things I liked about the HD280. I definitely want closed phones to block out outside noise (and to keep my noise in so I don't wake my roommate up if I'm up late playing a little Halo
eggosmile.gif
) and I just checked the HD600/650 and the K701, both are definitely out of my price range I really don't wanna go beyond $150. I'm not looking for the headphones to end all headphones, just the best in my price range for my lab work (and I assume if they're great for my lab work they'll be great for playtime too).

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 27
Ok, first of all out of question you don't want things like hd650/600. The only headphone that can be used well for monitoring out of the open ones I know is k701. Yet audio engineers I have spoken too would choose an Ultrasone Proline (2500 or 750) for their work over k701, and that is at equivalent price point. If you got a bit over $200 you can put into this, I would look for a used Proline.

That being said - within your current price range the best you got is Equation RP-21 for $100. =]

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 27
x2 on the prolines
750prolinebx3.png ultrasone smiley
and from what i hear, the RP-21's are great too. Anyway, I got my prolines new for 265$, so keep an eye out in the FS section (you'd need more posts to be able to post a WantToBuy there though). but be careful here at head-fi.. before you know it, you'll have a headphone amplifier.. a line out dock for your ipod, a better DAC.. although, things do sound better
biggrin.gif
I liiike... and, welcome.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the prolines
750prolinebx3.png ultrasone smiley
and from what i hear, the RP-21's are great too. Anyway, I got my prolines new for 265$, so keep an eye out in the FS section (you'd need more posts to be able to post a WantToBuy there though). but be careful here at head-fi.. before you know it, you'll have a headphone amplifier.. a line out dock for your ipod, a better DAC.. although, things do sound better
biggrin.gif
I liiike... and, welcome.

Not on my watch if he gets a Proline 2500. Amp is totally unnecessary, just need a decent source. Proline 2500 going price on FS seems to be $220, I might be selling mine fairly soon (after it takes appropriate trip for my good friend to try it out), I don't need it, E9s ftw
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 27
I have the DT250 you mentioned. They are really good but they are more inclined towards quality than isolation. Since you are going for closed cans I'd recommend reading this Comparative review of 15 closed headphones and more. It helped me get what I needed in that field when I needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back