Bubblegum suggestions.
Apr 1, 2006 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
You know you like it. You know of some songs that have merit as shamelessly catchy, possibly manufactured, possibly mainstream pop music who's grooviness is impossible to ignore. If music is brain food, this is the stuff at the top of the food pyramid...pure glucose.

It's ok. Posting it isn't admitting you listen to it.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 16
Love Bubblegum...here are some of my recent favorite spins...

"Kill With my Car" - Spray - Spray is pure Euro Dance
"I am Gothic" - Spray
"Ladykiller" - Alice in Videoland - Derivitive Syth pop with a Toni Basil voice @ 120 BPM
"Enemy" - T.A.T.U. - Goth Pop. Depeche Mode if they didn't take themselves seriously
"Hung Up" - Madonna - uh who hasn't heard this?
"Ride a White Horse" - Goldfrapp - Disco Redux
"Number 1" - Goldfrapp
"Rock n Roll Machine" - Client Syth Pop with a dancefloor edge.
"Scientist" - Dandy Warhols * - New Wave Rock Fun
"Neon Human" - Felix da Housecat * Electroclash with a heavy dose of House
"Picture Me" - Republica - Techno Rock
"Bubble Boy" I Satellite * - Synth Pop
"If Only" - Xero G - Synth Pop

* Male Vocal

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm happy to say that I know very little current bublegum. My daughter, on the otherhand, is just getting up to speed on it.

Older bubblegum from the 70's is a different story. Grooviness is subjective, so I'll let you decide if any of these have merit. These generally caused me to load an 8-track, or change stations. They may be to your liking.

Niel Sedaka - everything he did was bubblegum in my opinion.
Tony Orlando & Dawn - is that song in your hear yet? Let me help you out!
Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree.
It's been 3 long years, do you still love me?

I don't remember who sang Kung Foo Fighting, or the CB radio song (Convoy?)
How about Reunion - "Life is a Rock"

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 16
I admit it. I have Kelly Clarkson and Christina Aguilera on my computer. But I'm about to delete them! Really. I am. Really. Maybe after just one more listen.... Really.
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Does J-pop count? Cause I've been really into Uverworld, Po*no (replace * with r
wink.gif
) Graffitti and Ayumi Hamasaki lately. Some of the most catchy music I've heard in a long time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for the most recent favors of American bubblegum I don't know any. I've stopped listening to the radio and watch very little TV.
confused.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 16
Might wanna try out deerhoof. theyre....different, but all kinds of catchy. Them, and The Boy Least Likely To.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 16
This steps out of the mainstream, but The Go! Team has got to have some of the catchiest music I've ever heard. Their Thunder Lightning Strike album is probably the most horribly recorded disk I have in my collection, but it's just so damn addicting and poppy I can't even take it.

Seriously. Who would have thought saccharine melodies mixed with intermittent cheerleader vocals could make for such an enticing mix?

This isn't really something I feel ashamed to listen to, though...at least, not until ESPN or some network picks up a track for a sports promo. Which, if it doesn't happen, would be a shock.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 16
A lot of half-forgotten names: they used to irritate me to no end when they were in power and their music filled the airwaves. Now their CDs are selling at a dime a dozen in used stores, so pick your ear-junk food:

Jamelia (I actually like her song "Super Star")
Spice Girls (who can pronounce their name without shuddering?)
Shampoo (same as the Spice Girls but even more irritating)
T.L.C.
Kris-Kross (two kids trying to be hip)
t.A.T.u (have they expired?)

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
This steps out of the mainstream, but The Go! Team has got to have some of the catchiest music I've ever heard. Their Thunder Lightning Strike album is probably the most horribly recorded disk I have in my collection, but it's just so damn addicting and poppy I can't even take it.

Seriously. Who would have thought saccharine melodies mixed with intermittent cheerleader vocals could make for such an enticing mix?

This isn't really something I feel ashamed to listen to, though...at least, not until ESPN or some network picks up a track for a sports promo. Which, if it doesn't happen, would be a shock.

You stole my post!

I bought The Go! Team for a niece and have yet to give it up. It's great, and I'm 40.

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 16
Jamelia, James Blunt? Come on, they are not that bad
orphsmile.gif
Mainstream and washed out maybe but not bubblegum trashy

Does Eurodance count as bubblegum? Whats that group called...Vengaboys
tongue.gif

I completely agree with Shampoo
orphsmile.gif

This brings back memory of Top of the Pops/ Smash Hits. I can't believe I used to read those a bit

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 16
I think we need a clear definition of what bubblegum pop is. To me, it's music who's target audience is 12 year old girls. A lot of the songs mentioned are just catchy pop songs.

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Outside the mainstream? man, the go! team are regularly featured on MTV now-a-days. The mephis industry days are long behind them.

With that said, i say give J+J+J and gravy train!!!! a shot. They're irratating, obnoxious, and catchy as music could ever be.

Just imagine yourself singing along to the gravy train!!!! classic "you made me gay"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back