BTG-Audio Cable Impressions, Reviews and Discussion | Sunrise, Starlight & FitEar
May 13, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #151 of 203
I believe all the issues have been resolved. The last 2 weeks I've been able to reply to every email I get in a few hours. I was pretty slammed in April as I do also go to school in addition to work this full time. But now that it's summer I have way more time on my hands. Feel free to shoot me and email and I'll definitely get back to you. Sorry for the lul of bad customer service. I do acknowledge it was pretty bad. I'll be offering much more realistic lead times and updates in the future. 

May 21, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #152 of 203
Hey guys, 

I have been on these forum for a few years but only as a lurker, not so much as a poster. But I recently had some cabling work done by BTG-Audio, and thought id share my first experience. 
I usually lurk on and off hi-fi looking at reviews on which kind of headphones and IEM's people recommend.   I decided that the Westone W4's were the best choice for me, and after happily owning them for a while, I noticed that the cable was starting to crack. Which is apparently a common issue with them. So I decided to swap out the cable to fix this annoyance, also to have a cool custom set of IEM's.

After a few google searches and lurking, I found the website BTG-Audio based in California; this was a plus as I did not want to risk shipping outside the US.
This was my actual first custom cable job, and I wasn't sure which cable to order, so I went ahead and emailed them. Brian emailed me back pretty quickly (a few hours!) and we had a small talk about which cable he recommends for my W4's.
​He recommend I have my W4's modified with a removable starlight CIEM cable; I saw that it was also a really popular cable job that is highly recommended for the W4's. 

I placed an order for a custom job, and sent in my W4's on a Monday, and and them shipped back to me in a nice padded envelope the following Monday! I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the cable and especially the entire turn around!  I sent an email thanking for the job and turn around, he mentioned that hes been working about 12 hrs a day 6 days a week so he can pump out orders as much as he can. From what I heard hes the only guy working on them! I think it's pretty impressive that one guy can do custom work on audio cabling and have a pretty good turn around.

A definite recommendation for any cabling or headphone work you need to get done! 

It sounds like some people had some issues with BTG, but my experience was pretty good. I think we have to remember its just one guy working all all these orders, for any problems try emailing him, he's pretty good at replying to any of the issues.

***Here's a link to a (****ty) picture of my W4's I had done***

http://imgur.com/ISKgFGq

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #153 of 203
Just wanted to send a big THANK YOU to BTG-Audio.  About a year ago I sent my Grado RS2es to be modded with a single-side detachable jack and a new cable.  The work was fantastic, but after some travel and almost everyday use I began to notice the sound knocking out.  This was most likely my doing as the cups can spin and the cables are only so hardy given how thin they are.  But I sent them back and they came home good as new.  And that's when you get to learn about the kind of people you're dealing with.  As a consumer it's always a little scary sending headphones you paid a lot of money for across the country for what amounts to minor surgery.  When you can go back a year later though, well that's just class.  I would not hesitate to recommend BTG to anyone in the market for cables, mods, or service.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #154 of 203
  Just wanted to send a big THANK YOU to BTG-Audio.  About a year ago I sent my Grado RS2es to be modded with a single-side detachable jack and a new cable.  The work was fantastic, but after some travel and almost everyday use I began to notice the sound knocking out.  This was most likely my doing as the cups can spin and the cables are only so hardy given how thin they are.  But I sent them back and they came home good as new.  And that's when you get to learn about the kind of people you're dealing with.  As a consumer it's always a little scary sending headphones you paid a lot of money for across the country for what amounts to minor surgery.  When you can go back a year later though, well that's just class.  I would not hesitate to recommend BTG to anyone in the market for cables, mods, or service.

Thanks for the review Kahster! Definitely have been working hard to make sure the products I put out have coverage if anything goes wrong. First and foremost is making sure everyone is happy with their cable for years to come! 

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #155 of 203
New to the forum (been a lurker for a while now), but finally posting because I'm compelled to share my awesome experience with BTG-Audio--

Earlier this summer, I had Brian convert my AKG Q701 headphones so I could use them in balanced mode with my Pono. He did a fantastic job, and the headphones sound truly remarkable. Customer service was great--he was very communicative, and had the headphones back to me quickly. Pricing was very reasonable, and he was even able to fix up my old cable so I could use the cans out of balanced mode too. In the past few weeks I've listened to more records on these modded headphones than I have in years because it is such a joy to finally hear every nuance of the music. Big thanks to Brian, and I highly recommend BTG-Audio!

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #156 of 203
  New to the forum (been a lurker for a while now), but finally posting because I'm compelled to share my awesome experience with BTG-Audio--

Earlier this summer, I had Brian convert my AKG Q701 headphones so I could use them in balanced mode with my Pono. He did a fantastic job, and the headphones sound truly remarkable. Customer service was great--he was very communicative, and had the headphones back to me quickly. Pricing was very reasonable, and he was even able to fix up my old cable so I could use the cans out of balanced mode too. In the past few weeks I've listened to more records on these modded headphones than I have in years because it is such a joy to finally hear every nuance of the music. Big thanks to Brian, and I highly recommend BTG-Audio!

Thanks for the kind words SonicV! Glad to hear you're enjoying the one of a kind balanced Q701's. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #157 of 203

Brian did an awesome job repairing my GR07's and converting them to use detachable cables. He was also very understanding of a travel commitment, and even expedited the work so the IEM's would come back in time!

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #158 of 203

Brian did an awesome job repairing my GR07's and converting them to use detachable cables. He was also very understanding of a travel commitment, and even expedited the work so the IEM's would come back in time!

Wow that's really cool. I have two cables on the way from Brian as well for my Earsonics IEMs. Maybe in the future, I can ask him to mod my K3003 to have something similar with detachable cables. Awesome that he can do that. 

-Collin-

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #159 of 203
I am thinking of getting a starlight and wanted your thoughts on a few things.
I have sources which have 3.5 mm TRS (SE), 2.5 mm balanced (trrs) and Sony 4.4 mm Pentaconn. I was told by brian that mini xlr would be the best way forward to enable me to use all my sources with respective adaptors. Do you guys have any insight on the kind of termination i should use to efficiently swap between those types of sources. I am thinking of two cables. One a 3.5 mm (TRS/ SE) and another with 2.5 mm/ Sony 4.4 mm? I am really confused about that.
I would appreciate any insights into this. Personally the most convenient for me would be to have 2 cables, one SE and the other balanced terminated with 2.5 mm trrs.

Thanks

P.s - Brian is super responsive and so helpful. Thanks Brian

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #161 of 203
Anyone know if BTG is still around?? Emailed Brian 2 times and haven't heard anything... He on vacation? :)

He was pretty responsive around March 2018 before he took my money and my pretty expensive headphones for a removable mod.. it's been 2 full months, haven't heard from him since then. I wish I'd been a bit more diligent reading reviews I would have gone elsewhere. I saw some people in Facebook complaining not being contacted for several months. I am amazed he's still getting orders tbh

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #162 of 203
Brian did great work for me a couple years back. He balanced my AKG K812’s which is considered by some to be impossible. He also did my balanced K7XX mod and made cables of two lengths that were interchangeable with both pairs via a LEMO adapter.

I haven’t had any cable needs in awhile but I still use my K812’s completely balanced on a daily basis and they’re wonderful. I’m fairly local, so I got to meet with Brian in person and he’s a very professional, hard working and kind guy. I recommend anyone going with BTG cables and supporting a young sole proprietor rather than some overpriced cables from a big company.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #164 of 203
I placed an order on 25 Apr. Site said 4-5 weeks lead time so I patiently waited. Last week I emailed them for a status update and have received no response. Will try again, but running out of patience.

Well I now find myself in the same boat. Placed my order April 17 and last heard from Brian on April 25th via email. I have sent multiple emails and heard nothing back since.

I should add I had him recable another set of headphones for me a month or so prior to placing this order and it went seamlessly; they arrived ahead of schedule in fact. So I'm at a bit of a loss here...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #165 of 203
Well I now find myself in the same boat. Placed my order April 17 and last heard from Brian on April 25th via email. I have sent multiple emails and heard nothing back since.

I should add I had him recable another set of headphones for me a month or so prior to placing this order and it went seamlessly; they arrived ahead of schedule in fact. So I'm at a bit of a loss here...

Same boat here.
Good communication until I shipped my SE530 for recabling, and now haven't heard from Brian in over a month.

Did you manage to receive your IEMs eventually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back