Bruce Springsteen's, Devils & Dust (DualDisc)
Jun 28, 2005 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
I know that I have made some pretty strong statements against the new DualDisc format, but I got home from my West Orange Public Library and spotted his new album. I am playing it right now in my universal player with absolutely no problems. This is shocking! Shocking! I thought it would mess up my modestly expensive source component beyond repair. Knock on wood, it works! My universal DVD player truly is universal!

I will try to rip and burn the quasi-CD side using RHFC4 SELinux and XCDRoast along with my Plextor PX-708UF (1.10 firmware) later. If that works, then I might investigate this newfangled DualDisc format more deeply. Be of an open mind and I stand ready to eat crow on what I have written about DualDisc technology. I will also try to rip and burn the DVD-Video side using WINE and DVDShrink along with K3B on a blank 4.7GB DVD-R disc too. Reports on http://www.allmusic.com say that the quasi-CD side is copy protected (as I had predicted) and there should be no reason why the DVD-Video side would not be as well. Knock on wood! Go Linux go!

The quality of recording and mastering on Devils & Dust DualDisc is phenomenal! Truly three dimensional and holographic with a "you are there" presence! Amazing! Truly stupdendous!

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 17
AFAIK, the dual discs pose the most danger to slot loading multiple disc players, especially the ones in cars. It is supposed to be a result of the extra weight and thickness of the discs compared to regular cds. I haven't had any trouble playing the disc in any of my home players, but I am leery of putting it into my laptop drive because it is also thicker than a conventional disc.

I'll be very interested in knowing whether you were able to rip it, and also whether there is some anti-piracy program to scramble everything up.

Edit: Sony has posted a warning against playing the dualdiscs in their players. I wonder if this has to do with the format wars going on or whether there really is a serious danger there.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Sony has posted a warning against playing the dualdiscs in their players. I wonder if this has to do with the format wars going on or whether there really is a serious danger there.

It would seem the Sony warning is valid, because Linn, the Scottish audio equipment company, has joined them in warning that dualdiscs may not be compatible. Anyway, some divisions of Sony are actually manufacturing dualdiscs, so I wouldn't expect they'd want to rail against the format too much.

M

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 17
Well, it worked for the quasi-CD side. I was pressed for time throughout the day and I could not copy the DVD-Video side. However, I may very well do so tomorrow if the DualDisc is still present for rental. For a skeptic of the format, it does have its merits.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 17
Welly,

I think I'll try to rip my copy with itunes holding down the shift key, ofcourse. Hopefully there wont be any problem in the dvd player on my laptop, or would you recommend an external drive for this?

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 17
Call me paranoid, but any drive you can and wouldn't mind to replace is probably the best drive for this job. That having been said, I'd recommend an external drive.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 17
I'm beginning to think that it's just going to be too much anxiety for me to do this. already I'm having second thoughts.
eek.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 17
welly,
i'm glad it works for you - but that's no reason to "eat crow" on what you have written about the technology per se; your points about compatibility still stand. the 'dual danger' is real (disc not playing and risk of damage to player), but as of yet we don't know how big a danger it really is - the warning from sony might be part politics, but linn and meridian... car players... laptops...

still...
now that you're hooked, keep us informed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 17
I bought the dual-disc Springsteen to test on the Wadia players. I was concerned that the thickness might be too much for the full-disc clamping of the Teac mechanisms. I was also concerned that clamping on a valid data layer might not be the best of ideas either. However, everything seems to work fine. Soundquality is a different an issue, but I think it's just because the levels are really hot on this particular recording.

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 17
I had big problems with several other, and this dual disc too. Wouldnt play properly in any of my three cd sources. In the Meridian G08, you also couldnt change tracks, or do anythign except let it play through, or it locked up everything.
I also have a friend whose wife unwittingly put a dual disc into her cars cd player and not only locked it up, but damaged the mechanism.
Just say NO to dual disc! Its NOT worth it.

JC

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 17
DualDisc...when will man learn?

Seriously, though, I wonder when the record companies are going to discontinue their lines and reevaluate the format. A disc that damages equipment has some problems that need to be addressed.

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 17
Well, that does it. I'm not ripping this one at all. Btw, I've been told that in Europe the Devils and Dust was released in two formats: cd and dvd-a, and that they were sold together at the same price. That would have made better sense to me than pushing something which is so incompatible with equipment.

Just as a point of interest, has anyone had problems with dvds that are two sided, with widescreen on one side and pan and scan on the other? I had one of those that never loaded properly on the wide screen side so that I had to return it.

Jun 30, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
...Just as a point of interest, has anyone had problems with dvds that are two sided, with widescreen on one side and pan and scan on the other? I had one of those that never loaded properly on the wide screen side so that I had to return it.

Besides not being able to visually read the name of the movie off the tiny little label in the center of the disc, I've never had a technical problem with the dual-sided DVDs. They seem somehow dumb to me though, and I'm always a little disappointed when I find out I've bought one though. Who watches in Fullscreen anyway?

Jun 30, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
I had big problems with several other, and this dual disc too. Wouldnt play properly in any of my three cd sources. In the Meridian G08, you also couldnt change tracks, or do anythign except let it play through, or it locked up everything.
I also have a friend whose wife unwittingly put a dual disc into her cars cd player and not only locked it up, but damaged the mechanism.
Just say NO to dual disc! Its NOT worth it.
JC

I bought the dualdisc of the new Ben Folds album and the Meridian wouldn't play it. My computer will allow me to rip the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back