Brubeck, Anyone?
Jun 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
So many great recordings, but I think my favorite is "Jazz at Oberlin."

What totally blows my mind, though...and I mean TOTALLY BLOWS MY MIND, is that he's been putting out great recordings for over 60 years - 60 YEARS!!!

How truly amazing and wonderful is that?

What are some of your favorites from this Legend of Jazz?

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 17
Live In Mexico is my favourite (needledrop) but I've got more Leon Redbone than Dave Brubeck.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 17
I've gotten attached to "Time Further Out." It's one of those rare sequels that equals, and maybe surpasses, the original. Found it on vinyl a couple years ago and I've given it many spins.

Also, I'm jealous of my parents. In the 1960s, Brubeck used to play a little bar in Hermosa Beach - they used to head down there for a few drinks and a listen. Wish I could go back in time to drop in there.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 17
I agree that Jazz at Oberlin is fantastic. It has real staying power and there is almost palpable excitement in the audience reaction.

One of my recent favorites is the Brubeck/Desmond duets album. While I always felt that Brubeck's playing was too bombastic, he's really fine on the duets album. And, as usual, Desmond is great.

Another favorite of mine is Dave Digs Disney.

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotten attached to "Time Further Out." It's one of those rare sequels that equals, and maybe surpasses, the original. Found it on vinyl a couple years ago and I've given it many spins.

Also, I'm jealous of my parents. In the 1960s, Brubeck used to play a little bar in Hermosa Beach - they used to head down there for a few drinks and a listen. Wish I could go back in time to drop in there.

I actually listen to and like Time Further Out quite a bit as well. It is an excellent CD.

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That reminds me of something that Orrin Keepnews once said about the Bill Evans dates at the Village Vanguard in 1961, noting that the place was fairly empty and the VV management wasn't happy about it. When I heard him say that I imagined going back in time to that day in 1961 -- there would be no problem getting a table for one of the greatest live recordings in jazz.

--Jerome

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 17
The bar in Hermosa Beach was The Lighthouse, which was owned by Howard Rumsey. It was a great place. It was small, smokey and crowded. I used to go there often. Never saw/heard Brubeck there, but I do remember hearing the whole Count Basie Band, jammed into the smallest of spaces, with me sitting just a few feet away, right in front of the band. I can still hear the sound---big, full, loud and swinging. Sorry for the diversion, but I couldn't resist.

The places to go in LA back then were: The Lighthouse, Shelly's Mannehole and Dynamite Jackson's (a place on West Adams, where Richard "Groove" Holmes was frequently in residence. It was all so much simpler then.

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 17
Jazz Goes to College

For a good recent one, London Flat, London Sharp

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 17
The Brubeck DVD in the Jazz Icons series has some incredible live performances with Desmond. If you like Brubeck, you need that DVD. (There are lots of other great DVDs in the series too...)

See ya
Steve

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion for your next album is: Jazz at Oberlin.

"Time Out" is one of my "desert island" albums. From start to finish, it's a master piece. No wonder why I've been having hard time looking for ensembles that sound like them. There isn't!! I guess it's time to give "Time Further Out" and "Jazz at Oberlin" a try.

Do you guys know any that sound like Brubeck? I just love his style.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion for your next album is: Jazz at Oberlin.

I've been such a huge fan for so long that I've got just about everything he's released, mostly on vinyl and his newer stuff, obviously, on CD.

What I think is very cool is actually listening to and holding a record that was released in the 50's and wondering about who had the record before me, what their life was like: Did they dance? Did they make out? What did they do while listening to the exact same record that I'd be listening to.

You know, kind of like the movie, "The Red Violin," only on a much shorter scale, timewise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back