BROOKO'S REVIEW & DISCUSSION - LZ Big Dipper IEM
Aug 24, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #16 of 45
about the topic's main purpose, I'm very confused by the new site. I can't say anything about who decides to put stuff on the front page, or if they should take your word for it when you say it's good ^_^, but I've stopped looking at reviews altogether, it sucks to have them sorted by dates instead of "likes" as before. browsing reviews or looking for them is just annoying IMO.
also I can still see only 2 of my reviews under "your items"(I'm guessing they're here because I was the one to add the gear). is there a list of our own reviews somewhere? or a way to see the list of reviews from a member? if I add half a sentence to an old review do I get to be at the top as most recent review like a damn cheater hungry for views? can lightning melt a rock? if I paint the same side of all mountains black and the other side white, can I change the rotation of the planet thanks to the sun? so many questions.

It's actually really hard to find full lists - I had to create a page so I've got all of mine in one place. I don't know how the showcase thing works - If I relied on that, 1/2 of mine are missing. Now I just have a full list of everything here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/brookos-reviews-past-future.762394/

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #17 of 45
It's actually really hard to find full lists - I had to create a page so I've got all of mine in one place. I don't know how the showcase thing works - If I relied on that, 1/2 of mine are missing. Now I just have a full list of everything here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/brookos-reviews-past-future.762394/

Yeah, I've also got a list in my review thread but last time I checked not a single one of the review links were working. To me it's hard to put the effort into reviews knowing most likely no one will read it unless it's featured on the FP....

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #18 of 45
Fantastic review Paul, I think this is is your finest work yet! The fact that you enjoy it to this degree makes me lust for this headphone even more! Really nice to see LZ rise to the occasion and doing well with their first really expensive iem.

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #19 of 45
Honeymoon period hasn't worn off either. Still the earphone I reach for more often than not if I have spare time. Have to admit I found it funny that it didn't make the front page. They were aware of it too (the review). This earphone needs more exposure

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 45
Honeymoon period hasn't worn off either. Still the earphone I reach for more often than not if I have spare time. Have to admit I found it funny that it didn't make the front page. They were aware of it too (the review). This earphone needs more exposure

Perhaps the fact that the site sponsor's iems didn't compare too favourably with the Big Dipper might have something to do that, but thats just the paranoia in me haha.

Would you say the base model, that is to say no switches, would still be a great choice? I usually don't mess with filters or tunings and prefer to stick with one tuning (And its a bit cheaper as well). I would be lying if I said the thought of buying the base model didn't cross my mind a few times. Or a hundred.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #21 of 45
BUILD AND DESIGN

9934828_l.jpg
9934829_l.jpg
External face of the shellSide view
The LZ Big Dipper has what I would call a half circular shape – and one which is very akin to fully customised moulds. The body is made (by hand) using UC Curable Resin. It is 26mm across at its widest point, approx 20mm high and the main body is approximately 12mm deep. There are no sharp surfaces anywhere on the IEM, everything is well rounded, and beautifully form fitting. The shell on my pair has a carbon fibre look to the outer face plate, and is slightly translucent, allowing viewing of some of the BAs and their crossovers.

9934830_l.jpg
9934831_l.jpg
Rear view and tuning switchesInternal face
The internal side is well rounded with gentle ridges and valleys designed to perfectly fit with the main contours of your ear. The nozzle is set toward the front, and has a slight angle up and forward (which aids the fit even more perfectly). It starts with a gentle flare of around 5mm in height away from the body, and this further extends by another 5mm being the nozzle itself. The nozzle is 6mm in diameter, is mesh covered, and has an excellent lip which greatly aids possible tip choices.

On the rear side of the Dipper is a serial number, and also (if you've taken the tunable option) a series of switches. Mine has 3 small micro switches marker 1,2,3 and the top marked “On”. The switches are pretty small and to successfully engage them, you may need to use a pen or paper clip.

9934832_l.jpg
9934833_l.jpg
Beautifully formed to fit the ear2 pin 0.78mm connectors
At the top of the Dipper shell is a recessed 2 pin (0.78mm) socket. The socket is firm and fits well with the cable. The cable is a braided 4 wire on each side (ear-piece to y-split) then braided 8 wire to the jack. The wire is silver plated 6N copper wire, and the sheath is a very flexible plastic compound. Whilst the cable is somewhat on the bulky side, it is also very pliable, and the added weight actually helps it hang properly without the need for over-ear loops. There is a short relief at the ear-phones, none at the y-split (which looks to be just a plastic or resin tube), but good relief at the 3.5mm gold plated jack. I'm not to worried abut the relief at the y-split, as it is essentially just a split of the cable and unlikely to see any wear (and also the cable just looks and feels really strong). At the y-split is a very good and well designed rubber cinch. And at the jack end is a simply Velcro cable tie (affixed to the cable). It works pretty well, but long term I may remove it. I do get some minor cable noise (microphonics), however once the cinch is in place, and cable secured under clothes, this is eliminated completely.

9934834_l.jpg
9934835_l.jpg
Y-split and cinch3.5mm SE jack and cable tie
Internally the LZ Bid Dipper uses a 7 BA set-up, configured 1 low/sub, 2mid-low, 2 mid and 2 high. I'm pretty sure they are Knowles. LZ does use crossovers, and I think that for the models including the switches, they are also configuring where the crossovers occur for the overall tuning.

All in all, I would say that the design and build quality is excellent (absolutely no issues), and looks very durable.

FIT / COMFORT / ISOLATION
Isolation is extremely good with the Dipper but ultimately will depend on the tips you use and how good the seal is. I've already used these on a couple of flights, and can definitely say that with a pair of Comply Comfort (Ts series), they were brilliant – eliminating most cabin noise and easily achieving the same sort of isolation as well fitting Shure IEMs.

9934846_l.jpg
9934839_l.jpg
Worn over ear – housing is extremely comfortableComply Ts and Shure Olives
Turning to fit and comfort, and these thoughts are more subjective, and will vary from person to person, my experience has been one of complete satisfaction. As I mentioned earlier, the Dipper has been designed very similar to a custom IEM, and it shows with the overall fit. Saying these are ergonomic is a bit of an understatement. For me they are a perfect fit, fit flush with my outer ear, and basically disappear within a few minutes of wearing (I could forget they are in). I have slept with them intact, and woken hours later with them still there and no discomfort. The lack of hard edges, the super-smooth finish, and the gentle moulding around the contours of the ear all contribute to an extremely positive experience. The LZ Big Dipper is designed to only be used cable over ear.

9934837_l.jpg
9934838_l.jpg
Spiral Dots and Ostry Tuning tipsSony Isolation and Spinfit tips
The LZ-BD has an excellent lip on the nozzle, and because of this you can have a reasonable variety of tip choices. I tried Spiral Dots, Spin-fits, Ostry tuning tips (which gave me quite a good seal), and Sony Isolation tips, and all fit pretty well. I did find foam tips tended to give me a little more overall comfort and better seal – but that is principally because I have one wider ear canal (left) than the other – so often getting perfect fit for me can be problematic. Because the BD isn't a vented design, I did find that if I got a full seal with a silicone tip (eg Sony Isolation) it could cause some pressure issues – so I stuck with Comply Ts series foams.

So the general build is extremely good, and the shape is (for me anyway) perfect. What about the filter options if you go for the tunable model?

FILTER / TUNING SYSTEM

This always a tough one – as there are so many options, and without measurements, it is very easy for our brains to throw a filter over everything we hear. Because of this, we can grow quickly accustomed to its tonality and lose sight of its performance against the other options. Hopefully this summary will allow people to dial into their preferred curve early – and then experiment from there.

9934841_l.jpg

The filter system is controlled by a series of switches on the rear of the Dipper shell. Depending on the model you bought, it will come with no, 1, 2 or all 3 switches. The switches are simply on-off, and if looking into the three option model, control:
  • lower mid-range, mid bass and sub-bass
  • lower mid-range and upper mids
  • lower and upper treble
As I understand it, the switches control the crossovers – which in turn gives you fundamental shifts in the overall tuning. They are very tiny, and I found best way to move them was with either a fine-tipped pen, paper clip – or for me, A FiiO tray popper (for their DAPs).

Looking at the bass switch first, it raises everything from sub-bass to approximately 1.5 kHz, but in different increments. Sub and mid-bass are raised by approximately 5-6 dB fairly evenly from 20 Hz to around 300 Hz, and from that point it diminishes down to about 2-3 dB at 1 kHz and tapers off after that. It definitely gives a nice bass boost – but it is quite evenly applied. I like – but would imagine that some bass lovers will possibly get more satisfaction from a hardware or software targeted EQ boost.

9934859_l.png
9934861_l.png
9934862_l.png
Bass adjustmentMid-range adjustmentTreble adjustment
The mid-range switch is quit subtle and is the switch with more changes to shape than quantity. With the switch off, there is quite a sharp rise from 1.5-2.5 kHz. Turning the mid-range switch on slightly rises the lower mid-range by 2-3 dB at 1 kHz, goes slightly higher (not much more than 1 dB) at just over 2 kHz, and softens the peak. It really doesn't touch the lower treble or sub/mid-bass at all. The effects are definitely audible, but very subtle.

The treble switch really doesn't have any effect except above 5 kHz, where it raises everything by around 3-5 dB including the already existing 9 kHz peak. Treble heads will possibly really like this switch (depending on their other choices), but I found that I didn't want any more treble than what was there originally, and kept this one turned off.

Because the biggest change over all comes from the bass switch, I'd imagine this may be the best switch to target for those who cannot afford the 3 switch option. I have shown below all possible options. I found the switches really quite good, although my personal preference would have been to have more control (split) with sub and mid-bass, and possible an option of lowering both treble and mid-range below their current “off” designations though. This is probably nit-picking because I find the bass on, mid off and treble off combo extremely good, and as a default tuning (if there was only one), I find it a very well balanced signature overall.

I've shown below all 8 possible combinations / filter choices – click for larger images

9934820_l.png
9934821_l.png
9934822_l.png
9934823_l.png
All switches off-bass, - mids, + treble-bass, + mids, - treble-bass, + mids, + treble

9934824_l.png
9934825_l.png
9934826_l.png
9934827_l.png
+bass, - mids, - treble+bass, - mids, + treble+bass, + mids, - trebleAll switches on

SOUND QUALITY

The following is what I hear from the LZ Big Dipper. YMMV – and probably will (also because we are talking about an earphone with many tuning options) – as my tastes are likely different to yours (read the preamble I gave earlier for a baseline). Most of the testing at this point (unless otherwise stated) was done with my FiiO X5iii (single ended) no EQ, bass filter on, and both mid and treble filter off, and Comply Ts Comfort tips. I used the FiiO X5iii simply because it gives me a transparent window to the music with low impedance, and more than enough power. There was no DSP engaged.

9934842_l.jpg
9934851_l.jpg
My trusty FiiO X5iiiNew FiiO X7ii was equally impressive
For the record – on most tracks, the volume on X5iii was around the 40/120 level which was giving me an average SPL around 65-75 dB. I did lift this to 45/120 at times especially with male based vocal tracks. Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.17556

Relativities
  • Sub-bass – has good extension and even at my lower listening levels the rumble is clearly audible, but is not really visceral (I often find BA bass does not have the same impact as dynamic). Does not dominate at all with tracks like Lorde's Royals, but does give enough thump to give a sense of impact without overshadowing vocals, and there is no bleed (or masking) into the lower mid-range. Balanced and quick rather than slamming.
  • Mid-bass – has a natural mid-bass hump – providing good impact, and sitting nicely balanced with the actual sub-bass. Mid-bass is elevated over lower mids, but roughly equal with upper mids with this filter combination.
  • Lower mid-range – there is a recession compared to sub and mid-bass, and also the upper mid-range, but does not sound overly recessed or distant (there is a sense of distance there though). Male vocals do not quite have the same presence as female vocals (and I sometimes have an urge to turn the volume up slightly), but they do have enough body to be enjoyable.
  • Upper mid-range – elevated compared to lower mid-range, and there is a rise from 1 kHz to a first peak at just over 2 kHz. The result is a clean and clear vocal range, with very good cohesion and some euphony for female vocals to sound sweet and elevated. There is also good sense of bite with guitars.
  • Lower treble has very good extension, and really is quite sustained 2 kHz through to 10kHz with just some minor dips in the 6, 8 and 10 kHz areas. But it isn't over-emphasised with this filter combination, remaining at about the same amplitude as the upper mid-range and bass. This presents a lot of clarity and detail, but without any sign of harshness.
  • Upper treble – rolls off with this filter combination, but I don't feel as though I am missing anything. It could be simply my measuring equipment – it tends to struggle with accuracy over 10 kHz
Resolution / Detail / Clarity
  • Clarity is excellent – its something BA's tend to do extremely well, and the Dipper is fantastic in this area. Cymbals are crystal clear and show good decay without over-doing things with too much upper harmonics in the 7 kHz area. Tracks like Pink Floyd's “Money” display a tremendous amount of detail without any sign of smearing.
  • Breaking Benjamin's “Diary of Jayne” is a really good track because there is plenty of high-hat action, but over the top are the vocals and a lot of guitar. The Dipper handles it all with ease, and there is never any sign of confusion or missing / masked micro detail.
  • Seether's live version of “Immortality” from their “One Cold Night” live album was a good track for checking the ability of cymbal decay to come through clearly despite the amount of acoustic guitar presence, and the ensuing mix in this track alone was simply addictive.
  • Overall I feel as though I'm hearing everything in the recordings – and this is even at my lower listening levels. Older rock recordings are pleasantly easy to get every nuance. The balance is really good.
Sound-stage and Imaging
  • Directional queues are excellent – very clean and clear, and presentation of stage is just outside the periphery of my head space with binaural tracks. The LZ Dipper is nicely expansive and does present a bigger stage than their LZ-A4.
  • Separation of instruments and imaging is fantastic, and I would say it is one of the strengths of this earphone.
  • One of the more spherically presented sound-stages I've had with an IEM – with virtually no L/R dominance, and good sense of depth.
  • The applause section of “Dante's Prayer” was extremely well presented with a realistic of flow around me. Does not quite come to the level of the RE2000, but at half the price it is in the same league. Impressive.
  • “Let it Rain” had a wonderfully three-dimensional sense of spatial presentation – it is the way the track was miked. There was a slight hint of sibilance with Amanda's vocal – and I know its present in the recording – so not unexpected. What was great is that the sibilance was not overly highlighted, and the overall detail was still in abundance.
Sonic Strengths
  • Overall tonal balance and clarity – while retaining a smoothness in the lower treble
  • Imaging, separation and sense of space in the staging.
  • Both sub and mid-bass have good impact with the filter turned on (enough for me anyway) but do not dominate otherwise
  • Very good portrayal of both male and female vocals, although male vocals are not as full or rich as their female counterparts.
  • Very detailed at low listening levels
  • Extremely good transition between lower and upper mid-range
Sonic Weaknesses
  • A little sense of distance with male vocals particularly, leading me to tend to push volume up a little.
  • Inability of filter combos to flatten out amplitude frequency response – basically to bring the 1 kHz area a little closer to bass and treble peaks.
AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

The LZ Big Dipper is not a hard IEM to drive with its 25ohm impedance and 115 dB sensitivity. It was easily driven with all the sources I tried, and this included my iPhone SE and players like FiiO's X1ii (neither are power houses). My iPhone SE only needed about one third of its volume for a comfortable 65-75dB and going to 50% volume was simply to loud for me on most tracks (pushing into the 80-85dB range).

9934843_l.jpg
9934844_l.jpg
iPhone SE and IMS HybridX5iii and FiiO A5
But I went back and forth (volume matching with test tones and fixed volumes using a few different combos – iPhone SE & IMS portable valve amp, X3ii & E17K, and X5iii & A5, and did not notice any appreciable difference between amped and straight out of a DAP. My advice would be to further amp if you prefer it – but its definitely not needed. One of the interesting things was using the A5, and you could really push the sub-bass with its targeted bass boost. Not my “cup of tea”, but I could see some enjoying it. I did really enjoy the IMS Hybrid (digital out from iPhone to the IMS DAC and amp), and I'm looking forward to trying the new Q1ii when it is eventually released.

EQ / BALANCED PERFORMANCE

I'm still waiting for my balanced 2 pin cable, so might add to this section once it arrives. My interest here is more in trying to see how differing impedance would affect frequency response.

As far as EQ goes, that is ultimately what the tuning filters are there for, but I did use hardware EQ in the form of the E17K and A5 bass boost and both times the LZ Big Dipper responded well with no clipping issues. There seems to be no real issues with EQ if applied properly, but for me personally its not something I need with the tuning options I've settled with.

COMPARISON WITH OTHER IEMS

A hard one to try and compare – mainly because of the filters (there are not a lot in this price range). So for this one I looked simply to show the overall performance compared to some IEMs in a similar price bracket.

For the source, I wanted something very neutral, but with a good digital control, to make sure I could volume match. So I chose to use my old work-horse combo – the FiiO X3ii and E17K. No DSP or EQ was used. Gain was low (I didn't need any more). I volume matched using a calibrated SPL meter and fixed 1kHz test tone first. My listening level was set to an average of 75dB.

I chose to compare Dunu's DK-3001 (~$500), HiFiMan's RE800 (~$700), 64 Audio's U6 and U10 ($900 and $1300 respectively), and finally HiFiMan's USD 2000 RE2000 – simply because I could.

LZ Big Dipper (~USD 860) vs Dunu DK-3001 (~USD 500)
9934847_l.jpg
9934853_l.png
LZ Big Dipper and Dunu Dk-3001Frequency comparisons
Dunu's DK-3001 sonically would be one of the best IEMs I've heard this year, and especially when price is taken into account. Putting it up against the Big Dipper was an interesting exercise, as there were many similarities, but also many differences. Physically, both are incredibly well built, with the Dunu having a slight edge on permanent materials, but the Dipper having a landslide win on ergonomics and comfort. The DK-3001 has a pretty good accessory package and that includes the SE and balanced cable options. But the Dipper has the tuning options, and the cable which is included is definitely quality. Overall on build, fit and overall design, the Dipper is definitely worth the extra outlay IMO.

Moving to sonics, we're comparing the Dippers 7BA set-up vs Dunu's quad hybrid design. And the two are incredibly close with the mid-range and lower treble sounding practically the same. The big (or not so big) difference is in the bass, where despite the graph telling me the Dipper's bass should be more pronounced, the dynamic driver of the DK-3001 does seem to give a similar overall amount of bass (to my ears anyway). The DK-3001 sounds a little fuller and more robust, where the Dipper is quicker and more refined. Staging and imaging is definitely superior on the Dipper, and the upper mid-range and lower treble does actually seem a little more refined too – despite being so similar on the graph.

Ultimately this one is a really hard one to call, because both sound fantastic. My preference would be for the Dipper though, simply because they both sound fantastic, but the Dipper is night and day more comfortable.

LZ Big Dipper (~USD 860) vs HiFiMan RE-800 (~USD 699)
9934848_l.jpg
9934854_l.png
LZ Big Dipper and HiFiMan RE800Frequency comparisons
The RE800 is one of those IEMs where HiFiMan got just about everything right and stumbled at the last hurdle. And its really apparent when you compare the RE800 with the Dipper. In build quality, the two will end up being very close, especially with the change to a replaceable cable in the final RE800 iteration. The Dipper does feel more sturdy to me though, but I'd say they are pretty evenly matched with fit and comfort.

Sonically the RE800 is actually closer to what I would call true reference (as long as you ignore the 7 kHz spike). Its flatter (leaner) overall, and the transition from lower mid-range to upper-mids is delightful. The Dipper comparatively (in the configuration I have) has more pronounced bass, but a lot smoother and more articulate upper mid-range and lower treble. If the 7 kHz peak in the RE800 is taken away, then these two are pretty close in overall performance. But the fact that I can mimic the RE800s bass response with the Dipper (if I so chose), and that I don't have to EQ an obvious fault (RE800 treble peak), leave me with the obvious choice. For me the Dipper is simply the better overall option.

LZ Big Dipper (~USD 860) vs 64 Audio U6 with ADEL G1 (~USD 899)[/SIZE]
9934850_l.jpg
9934856_l.png
LZ Big Dipper and 64 Audio U6Frequency comparisons
This is a good comparison – 6 BA vs 7 BA. Both tunable using different methods (the U6 via different ADEL modules. In terms of build, fit and comfort – both are pretty good, but I'd give the nod slightly to the Dipper in terms of overall build quality and also ergonomic fit. The tunable options are pretty good on both – and you can change both bass and mid-range with different ADEL modules. The downside of course is cost of the modules themselves being add-ons. ADEL does give the benefit of reduced pneumatic pressure and does actively help with my permanent tinnitus.

Sonically (in the configurations I've chosen), the Dipper does have more bass presence, but on both, it is nicely balanced with the rest of the frequency, so I think the matching is pretty good. The main change is in the mid-range, where the U6 is a lot flatter and closer to a reference tuning, where the Dipper is a little more vivid and fun. Both have excellent detail. Imaging is also very closely matched, but with the ADEL modules, the U6 has a natural advantage in openness and stage size. The U6 does have a 7 kHz peak but its nicely balanced with the rest of the signature, so not an issue like the RE800. This one is very tough to call, as I both really like both. If I was forced to make a call, I may slightly lean toward the Dipper due to the tuning versatility (no need to carry modules with me), and the slightly better ergonomics – but its hard to compare it with the benefits that ADEL brings to me personally. I'm calling this one a tie. Both are excellent IEMs and although slightly differently tuned, both are very easy to get used to. Both could easily be end-game at around the $900 budget.

LZ Big Dipper (~USD 860) vs 64 Audio U10 with ADEL G1 (~USD 899)[/SIZE]
9934849_l.jpg
9934857_l.png
LZ Big Dipper and 64 Audio U10Frequency comparisons
This is going to be largely a repeat of the U6 comparison – as the U6 and U10 are very close in overall design. The U10 is of course much more expensive and has 10 drivers to the Dipper's 7. I won't go over things like ergonomics again as it would simply be a repeat of the U6 observations.

Sonically the U10 and Dipper are again similar, great treble extension, very well balanced between bass, mids and treble – and again the main change is that the U10 is more reference (flatter) while the Dipper tends to be a little more v shaped, and a little more vivid. It is also more euphonic for female vocals (which make up a large part of my library). I can't deny that the U10 has steadily grown on me over time though, and nowadays I find myself listening more to it than my U6. The Dipper isn't embarrassed at all in this company, and I know some will find it superior to the U10 (those liking a little more colour). Again – both could be considered end-game, and at the Dipper's price point, it would win on pure value. This would be another toss up if someone asked me to choose, and I could see myself possible going with the U10 purely for the ADEL module. But if my budget was being stretched, I'd take the Dipper (in fact I'd probably take it over the Andromeda as well).

LZ Big Dipper (~USD 860) vs HiFiMan RE2000 (~USD 2000)[/SIZE]
9934852_l.jpg
9934855_l.png
LZ Big Dipper and HiFiMan RE2000Frequency comparisons
Whilst the RE2000 has the better specification regarding permanent materials, the actual build quality on both IEMs is extremely good. Aesthetically the RE2000 probably has the edge in terms of looks – but for actual fit and ergonomics, the Dipper wins on both fit and comfort. The RE2000's power requirements is higher due to its lower sensitivity and higher impedance.

Sonically these two are somewhat similar. Both have a similar transition from sub and mid bass to lower mids and even somewhat similar in upper mid-range. The Dipper has a little more bump at 2 kHz, but it is minor. Both have very similar treble disposition and extension. In direct comparison, the difference is not so much in terms of tonality – but in terms of presentation. The Dipper is a little more clinical, reference, and cleanly defined – where the RE2000 is smoother, bass has a little more richness, and that term musicality comes to mind. The RE2000 has a more romantic, less clinical overall presentation – the sort that allows you to easily get lost in the music. The Dipper can do the same but its only in direct comparison that you listen to the Dipper and go “wow the RE2000 does this with a richness that I actually like a little better”. The Dipper is an IEM I could easily live with as end-game, as long as I'm not directly comparing. Sonically I like the RE2000 more – but the question is whether the difference is worth more than double the price.

VALUE

So how do I see the overall value of the Big Dipper? Quite simply, it reaches that performance which has me definitely recommending it at its current price point. Although many will find this on the expensive side of things, its versatility and base tuning are extremely well thought out. Add to that the practically perfect ergonomics and you have an overall package which (for me anyway) is absolutely worth the asking price. In fact I'm already wondering what I can sell amongst the products I actually own – as I'm tempted to buy it – despite the fact that I can hang onto this sample. The reason is easy. I want to own this one. The more I listen, the more I realise that if I had to call any single IEM as my end-game, and forsake all others, the Big Dipper would easily sit in the top three.

LZ BIG DIPPER – SUMMARY

Before I start, I really want to thank LZ and duyu again for allowing me to review this wonderful little IEM. I fear I will be contacting you again soon to see about buying this pair. I'm going to be using it a lot I think, and right now I'd be uncomfortable with the thought of parting with it. If thats not recommendation enough – I don't know what is.

The Big Dipper is an incredibly well designed and well built 7 driver BA IEM, and I know a lot of thought has gone into the overall build quality and ergonomics. It fits like a custom IEM, and is easily one of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever worn.

Sonically the Big Dipper could be described as a well balanced, but slightly V or U shaped signature, with an excellent sense of stage, imaging, and resolution. The tuning switches are quite well implemented and my only wish (maybe a future model LZ?) would be to see if they could bring up the lower mid-range just a little (ie flatten the overall signature) without ruining the balance and overall extension.

In terms of value, I personally think the Big Dipper hits a sweet spot for those who may be considering an end-game IEM but not having the funds to chase some of the TOTL offerings out there. I know on my budget, the Dipper represents the same sort of “bargain” (and I use that term loosely) that my purchase of the HD800S represented. There may be better out there – but the Dipper would be able to satisfy my requirements enough so that I wouldn't be asking “what else”.

I just want to close with thanking Lao Zhong and duyu (Frank) once again for arranging the review sample.

9934845_l.jpg
I dont know if headfi rewards their community members for excellent write ups but if they do then u r definitely at the top of the list....awesome keep it up

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #22 of 45
Perhaps the fact that the site sponsor's iems didn't compare too favourably with the Big Dipper might have something to do that, but thats just the paranoia in me haha.
Would you say the base model, that is to say no switches, would still be a great choice? I usually don't mess with filters or tunings and prefer to stick with one tuning (And its a bit cheaper as well). I would be lying if I said the thought of buying the base model didn't cross my mind a few times. Or a hundred.

I'm a bit puzzled by it - but I wouldn't think that has anything to do with featuring it. Maybe they just think I get too much front-page time (although that doesn't make sense either with multiple reviews from the current crop of reviewers dominating sometimes). If its a business model thing - then I'll leave Head-Fi (I solely review here, and have turned down other offers, simply because they have always previously been impartial). If the rules have been changed, then I'd rather know about it and move on. I doubt thats the case though. Perhaps my reviews are simply too long :)

Re the switches - you'll probably end up using one combo most of the time anyway - but its getting the right combo for you which is the question. I wonder if LZ could make a demo version of bass+, mids and treble- and get that around the community in a tour. Even just getting a version with the one bass switch might be a good idea (it has most influence sonically).

I dont know if headfi rewards their community members for excellent write ups but if they do then u r definitely at the top of the list....awesome keep it up
Thanks Sam - appreciate it.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 45
I'm a bit puzzled by it - but I wouldn't think that has anything to do with featuring it. Maybe they just think I get too much front-page time (although that doesn't make sense either with multiple reviews from the current crop of reviewers dominating sometimes). If its a business model thing - then I'll leave Head-Fi (I solely review here, and have turned down other offers, simply because they have always previously been impartial). If the rules have been changed, then I'd rather know about it and move on. I doubt thats the case though. Perhaps my reviews are simply too long :)

Re the switches - you'll probably end up using one combo most of the time anyway - but its getting the right combo for you which is the question. I wonder if LZ could make a demo version of bass+, mids and treble- and get that around the community in a tour. Even just getting a version with the one bass switch might be a good idea (it has most influence sonically).

Thanks Sam - appreciate it.

I was just pulling your legs Paul, but it does seem rather odd that the Big Dipper is not getting any front page love, especially in light of the work put into the review itself. You don't exactly slack off on your other reviews but with this one, I could tell a lot of time was put into it. The big dipper definitely deserves more recognition, based on your assessments, and having a smaller brand play at the big boys table is never a bad thing in my eyes. Competition is always a good thing and what spurns the industry forward.

I agree, the three switch version would let me see which of the combinations work for me. As a compromise, I might opt for the one switch version since you are saying that the bass switch produces the most noticeable difference. On that note, I do hope LZ will consider tweaking the baseline treble, or atleast give an option to lower it (I am sensitive to strident or grating treble or even treble spiles), based on reading your review anyway.

I have a funny request (don't think less of me because of my music preference :p) but can you tell me how the new Taylor Swift song sounds through the big dipper? I have been listening to it since morning and its stuck in my head!

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #24 of 45

1a1df7782f24ee80822270c64570bd99--gag-funny-hilarious-memes.jpg

confirmed! ^_^

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #25 of 45
I will be pulling the trigger on either the LZ Big Dipper (no switches) or the Dunu DK-3001 in the next few days. I know that this has been touched upon in the above review (and believe me, I've been scouring the DK-3001 reviews as well), how do these two compare when it comes to resolution and micro-details? It seems like there is some disagreement regarding resolution in the Dunu. Anyway, thanks.

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 45
Pretty much on par - both are sonically fantastic. For comfort though - I'd take the Dipper. If Dunu can ever get their ergonomics right, they will be right up there with the best. They produce marvellous sounding IEMs and build quality is impeccable. They just make some questionable design decisions (hard angles) which don't work with soft ears.

And I'd suggest going for either 1 or 2 switches. Definitely take the bass switch as it has the most effect. And if you can afford it, adding the treble switch gives you best of both worlds and better control over IEM as a whole.

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 45
Pretty much on par - both are sonically fantastic. For comfort though - I'd take the Dipper. If Dunu can ever get their ergonomics right, they will be right up there with the best. They produce marvellous sounding IEMs and build quality is impeccable. They just make some questionable design decisions (hard angles) which don't work with soft ears.

And I'd suggest going for either 1 or 2 switches. Definitely take the bass switch as it has the most effect. And if you can afford it, adding the treble switch gives you best of both worlds and better control over IEM as a whole.

I am considering the bass switch, but it's an unusual boost. I mean, it adds db all the way to 1.5k, whereas I am used to dealing with bass boost ending a 100 or 200 hz. I'm going to make an EQ preset to recreate the boost and play around with it on some 'phones I have, see how it does. Seems like it would intrude on the mids too much for my taste, but we'll see. I am loathe to spend $80 a switch if they are just going to remain off all the time.

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 45
If you're comfortable with EQ - then no need to bother :) A lot aren't, and thats where the switches help. I use them with a variety of sources - so the switches are good in those sorts of situations.

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #29 of 45
Ok, so I've spent a couple of days with the BD now and found my preferences with the switches and tips for them so here's some initial impressions and pictures:

First thing first: the switches.
Bass: Putting the bass switch to ON gives great subbass but unfortunately also too much midbass for my liking. A side effect of this is that soundstage width is seriously compromised and goes from a very wide and airy presentation to a intimate, more focused presentation. I definitely prefer the first alternative so this in itself is kind of a deal breaker for me when it comes to using the bass switch. I do also feel that the midrange becomes to distant when turning the bass on.

Midrange: Being a midrange lover I definitely prefer the presentation with the midrange switch set to ON. The midrange quality of the BD is crazy good with exceptional detail and clarity and I most definitely like to get it in focus.

Treble: Putting the treble switch to ON gives a really airy top end but to my ears it's just too much if a good thing and makes the sound less coherent, maybe even unnatural.

So in sum so far the only switch I'm using is the the midrange one.

To start with I found the BD to be really bass light and this sounding an I was honestly quite puzzled and a bit disappointed. Eventually I realized that I wasn't getting a perfect seal although I was sure that I did. Now, with some double flange tips, I get great bass impact and a full midrange with very little (if any) bass bleeding into the midrange. As a matter of fact I've never heard such a a full and rich midrange on any IEM's without feeling that they've got too much upper bass intervene with the mids. I'm also totally amazed that a pair of IEM's can offer such high resolution and clarity without ever sound fatiguing. I've also never heard so many perfect "s" in any IEM's before. Yes, if the recoding is sibilant the BD will show it but less so than many other IEM's I've heard. For me personally I tend to not enjoy IEM's or headphones that doesn't show sibilance if it's there in the recording as it is a sign that they're not detailed enough or roll off too early for me to enjoy them.

I'm comparison to the BD the Super Audio 6 (one of my all time favorite IEM's) sounds really mushy and the bass on the Magosi K3 HD (which has one of my favorite bass presentations) sound really boomy.

Lately I've pretty much been listening to full sized headphones as I've acquired both the HE560 and HD800S the last couple of months and the BD is the only IEM's that I can move directly to from either of these two excellent headphones without feeling initially (until my brain adapt) underwhelmed.

Unfortunately I have only heard a couple of other IEM's in this price range but the BD is undoubtedly the best IEM's I've ever heard. They're just so totally natural sounding, much more so than any other IEM's I've heard.

Isolation is also top notch and both build quality and comfort seems great so far.

20170914_175628.jpg
20170914_175641.jpg
20170914_175659.jpg
20170914_203923.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #30 of 45
Ok, so I've spent a couple of days with the BD...
Very nice review sir. Your presentation and Brooko's makes this a shortlist future iem for me to look into. Unfortunately, I take months/years to pull the trigger. So don't look for a review from me soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back