BROOKO'S REVIEW & DISCUSSION - FIIO F9 IEM
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #16 of 70
Ok soo..

RHA T10
HiFiMAN RE600
TFZ Balance 2m.

As a side, are the margins of sonic difference or superiority clearly audible when comparing this price bracket with something like Campfire/64 Audio/Noble etc..?? I do not have the financial means to buy anything over £400 really.

I basically am on the hunt for the best iem i can get for upto and including £250.
I like bass but i like a big soundstage too. I love many a genre of music from Mingus and Mahavishnu to alternative to old rock. I listen too various rates of FLAC and DSD (atm that is only 5 albums!)

Any advice you could give @Brooko would be most welcome.
Thanks again in advance

If you like big bass (and you cannot lie), then I don't feel that the F9 would be suitable for you. It's certainly not a case of the F9 lacking bass, but rather that it seems to have the correct amount of bass. Apart from the treble spike, it really doesn't favour any other particular region of the frequency spectrum. The Pinnacle P1 has more bass, and even with it quite a few people complained that it was lacking bass (it wasn't, they were just more accustomed to a fat bass, v-curve sound).

If you're not in a rush, hold off for a bit and see what mee's upcoming Pinnacle P2 is like. It might satisfy your bass needs more

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #17 of 70
If you like big bass (and you cannot lie), then I don't feel that the F9 would be suitable for you. It's certainly not a case of the F9 lacking bass, but rather that it seems to have the correct amount of bass. Apart from the treble spike, it really doesn't favour any other particular region of the frequency spectrum. The Pinnacle P1 has more bass, and even with it quite a few people complained that it was lacking bass (it wasn't, they were just more accustomed to a fat bass, v-curve sound).

If you're not in a rush, hold off for a bit and see what mee's upcoming Pinnacle P2 is like. It might satisfy your bass needs more
Hmm interesting, but some of those other muvvas are so soo fly?
Well, i am not in a rush so i will definitely take your advice there and see what Mee's can do there

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 70
Hmm interesting, but some of those other muvvas are so soo fly?
Well, i am not in a rush so i will definitely take your advice there and see what Mee's can do there

The M7 Pro might also be to your liking

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #19 of 70
Hi Paul,

Would you consider comparing the F9 with the Oriveti basic? I've tested the Basic and really liked the fit and comfort. My signature preference is similar to yours (I loved my Ex1/Titan1) but in your review of the Basic you've said you loved the EQ'd Basic so much you'll prefer it over the Titan 5(F9). I really want to consider the Basic since i really really find the fit to be amazing. Looking for an upgrade/sidegrade for my EX1.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 70
Sure thing. Here's how they measure comparatively (it helps explain)

For my tastes, I'd still go with the F9 - simply because I have to EQ a lot of the Basic to get it where I want, but I hardly have to touch the F9 (just 7 kHz). The Basic has a pretty good mid-range, but its overpowered by a tonne of bass. Some will like the warmth - its just not my preference.

So Basic = very bassy with smooth lower treble. F9 = a lot more linear int he bass, more upper mid-range, and then the treble spike.

f9 basic.png

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #21 of 70
Thank you so much! How did you find the comfort level compared to the Basic? Is the F9 as light?

On another note, what will I miss if I replace my EX1 with the F9? Having 2 similar signatured iem isn't really friendly for my wallet.. (very new into hifi. Still afraid to spend too much hehe)

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 70
The F9 is super light too - 21g compared to the Basic's 15g - but both are still pretty light. The F9 is slightly larger, but the ergonomic design makes it super comfortable anyway.

If you've actually heard the Basic and liked the signature - then go for it over the F9. Both are good IEMs. But for someone who likes a more neutral signature, I'd suggest F9 as the way to go. For much more warmth and smoother upper end, then the Basic gets the nod.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 70
Paul, would it perhaps be possible for you to post some measurements of how the F9 responds to the different tips, please? Of course that would include both types of included tips, but I am particularly interested in what the measurements will show with Spiral Dot, Spinfit, and Sony hybrid tips.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #24 of 70
Paul, would it perhaps be possible for you to post some measurements of how the F9 responds to the different tips, please? Of course that would include both types of included tips, but I am particularly interested in what the measurements will show with Spiral Dot, Spinfit, and Sony hybrid tips.

Thanks in advance.

Agreed. I wonder if Mandarin tips fit well?

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #25 of 70
Agreed. I wonder if Mandarin tips fit well?

It would also be great if Paul could measure the F9 with the Veritas without using any tips (unless he has perhaps done that originally). Just for the sake of getting as many data samples as possible to compare how the tips affect the final sound

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 70

Thanks in advance.

Will have a look tonight. Just don't expect supreme accuracy or reliability. Silicones are terrible to get consistent results with - as more prone to angle and seal. Foams are much easier to get consistency which is why I always use them for comparable results. But I'll see what I can do for you.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #27 of 70
Will have a look tonight. Just don't expect supreme accuracy or reliability. Silicones are terrible to get consistent results with - as more prone to angle and seal. Foams are much easier to get consistency which is why I always use them for comparable results. But I'll see what I can do for you.

Cheers buddy, I'm sure you'll do your best

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #28 of 70
Here you go Theo - you'll have to take them as they are, because I didn't save them.

f9 crystal.png

First up - Crystal foam at review time (a few weeks ago when I first got them) vs measuring today (I did the left earpiece in case wondering). See how consistent the rig is :)

f9 Comply.png

Next is Comply vs Crystal - nulls the 7 kHz a bit (pretty well actually)

Spiral Dot.png

Spiral dots - almost same as Comply

Spinfit.png

Spinfit - PITA to get a good seal on - took me quite a few tests. Similar to Crystal foam but with less sub-bass (probably the coupler)

Sony Hybrid.png

Sony Hybrid (Isolation tips) - similar to Crystals

Ostry Blue.png

Ostry Blues - likewise

No tip.png

No tip must have finally got the seal right or the bass would have measured differently.

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #29 of 70
Here you go Theo - you'll have to take them as they are, because I didn't save them.

First up - Crystal foam at review time (a few weeks ago when I first got them) vs measuring today (I did the left earpiece in case wondering). See how consistent the rig is :)

Next is Comply vs Crystal - nulls the 7 kHz a bit (pretty well actually)

Spiral dots - almost same as Comply

Spinfit - PITA to get a good seal on - took me quite a few tests. Similar to Crystal foam but with less sub-bass (probably the coupler)

Sony Hybrid (Isolation tips) - similar to Crystals

Ostry Blues - likewise

No tip must have finally got the seal right or the bass would have measured differently.

Thanks A LOT Paul. What I find particularly interesting (and confirms what I hear) is that the Spiral Dots do tame that 7kHz peak a bit despite having that massive bore. Any change that you could include measurements with the 2 types of tips included with the F9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back