Brooko's known Bias and Preferences (or "about me")
Dec 14, 2019 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1
This section is here simply so that anyone reading my reviews is aware of my preferences, bias and methodology (measurements).

Who Is “Brooko”

PB-BoT-238x300.jpg

My name is Paul Brooks, and I live in a small city in New Zealand, I’m 53 years old, happily married to a wonderful lady who tolerates my “audio enthusiasm bug”, and have two growing children (currently young adults).

My reviews at Head-Fi can be found at this page.

I don’t call myself an audiophile, I’m simply a music lover who enjoys writing, and have found that people seem to like reading my descriptions of audio products.

My current gear
My main listening gear (for personal use) includes:
  • DAPs = FiiO M11, HifiMan R2R2000 and iPhone XR
  • Portable amps = FiiO A5, Q5 and Q1ii, NRK NHB, xDuoo XP-2
  • Desktop = PC > USB > iFi iDSD and VE Enterprise
  • Near-field speakers = JBL LSR305, Celestion F10
  • Headphones = Sennheiser HD800S, HD600 & HD630VB, MS Pro, AKG K553, Audeze Mobius, Sony WH1000Xm3
  • IEMs = Jays q-Jays, Alclair Curve2, 64Audio U10, FiiO FH7.
My known preferences, limitations and bias
I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock. I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock. I am particularly fond of female vocals. I generally tend toward cans that are relatively neutral or balanced, but I do have a fondness for clarity, and suspect I might have slight ‘treble-head’ preferences. I am not generally treble sensitive, and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and the Beyer T1 and DT880. I have a specific sensitivity to the 2-3 kHz frequency area (most humans do) but my sensitivity is particularly strong, and I tend to like a relatively flat mid-range with slight elevation in the upper-mids around this area.

I have extensively tested myself (ABX) and I find aac256 or higher to be completely transparent. I do use exclusively red-book 16/44.1 if space is not an issue. All of my music is legally purchased (mostly CD – the rest FLAC purchased on-line). I tend to be sceptical about audiophile ‘claims’, don’t generally believe in burn-in, have never heard a difference with different cables (unless impedance related, different volume etc), and would rather test myself blind on perceived differences. I am not a ‘golden eared listener’. I suffer from tinnitus, and at 53, my hearing is less than perfect (it only extends to around 12 kHz nowadays). My usual personal listening level is around 65-75 dB.

My measurement system
Those who have followed any past reviews will know that I tend to listen and note what I am hearing (subjective), then measure and try to figure out what I’m hearing (objective), then blend the two when I write a review. I know I can’t trust the filter my brain often puts on what I think I’m hearing, so that’s why I rely on measurements as a cross-check. I simply know they are more accurate.

I use a relatively cheap USB based sound card which only measures down to about -110dB, but its perfect for measuring IEMs. I couple this with a FiiO E17K amplifier (low noise, flat frequency response and very low output impedance), and use a Vibro Veritas coupler.

I generate frequency response graphs using ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else’s, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response – especially if you’ve followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use (where possible) crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) – and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler.

I also use a calibrated SPL meter and test tones to volume match whenever I am making comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back