Brooklyn Meet Impressions July 30, 2011
Aug 2, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #16 of 21
let me echo the sentiments of the other attendees, the hospitality of the our hosts, Dev & Dru, was absolutely delightful! and the eats (and drinks) were wonderful, especially those terrific home-made pies!
after having opportunities to listen to a bunch of fine rigs, and to chat with friends old & new, we were treated to a live performance. sorta like a more intimate, manageable, and tastier canjam.
the lcds sound pretty good but i find them too heavy, clumsy, bulky and uncomfortable. the he6 & he500 i find to be both livelier and more comfortable. both k1000s had their charms - the akg with it's unmatched openness, spaciousness, and clean & airy sound, and the kenwoods are one of the most comfortable phones out there with some real bass impact, unlike most phones out there. like almost every closed phone, it has some colorations, but nothing too extreme or quirky here, it seems like a pretty good buy, and may appeal to those who'd like to split some of the difference between an hd650 & a k701. many of these toys are really nice, but the classic joe grado hp2 is still one of the most neutral, balanced, and sublime phones ever made. the new todd the vinyl junkie arete amp sounds quite promising and this was brand new out of the box with no hours on it. i expect that after running in a bit it'll be quite a capable unit.
thanks again to our gracious hosts, as well as to all the participants who generously hauled their precious gear to this friendly gathering!

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 21
Truly this was a success!  Didn't get caught in any of the pictures!  
biggrin.gif

I wish I had more time with a lot of the gear.  Call me an old man when it comes to that stuff.  Audio Alzheimer.   Looking forward to more.  Thank you so much for the time; it was awesome!  Food and beer were awesome! People were awesome!

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #18 of 21
The meet was definitely a success.  I want to give my grateful, heart-felt thanks to Dev and Dru, who were the most consummate hosts one could ever hope for.  Thank you two for opening up your home for the meet and of course keeping us fed.  The food was wonderful and I think the fact that there wasn't a slice left speaks enough for the pie.

The headphones were wonderful and it was great to spend some quality time with the K1000.  They are definitely towards the top of my short list of must have headphones.

Dev, I never got time to tell you what I thought about your cover of the Wolf Rain song and I liked it quite a bit.  I had to compare it to the original quite a few times, but you pretty much explained it when you said you did it to a jazz arrangement.  I don't know if that's a near final version of it, but I'd love to hear it once you have it all completed.  Anyone that didn't get a chance to listen to Dev should check out his stuff.  The performance was wonderful and I looked forward to it.  Your friend's BB King cover was amazing.  I was stunned at such a large voice from a smaller frame and his ability on the guitar was impressive.  Best of luck with your new album and getting in touch with Yoko Kanno!

Dru, thank you so much for the wonderful conversation and the food.  I got to be introduced to a lot of great beers, which I have sadly forgotten the names of.  If you can list any, I'd love to try them out.  And no, the little lady didn't find out, so I was in the clear with the beer 
evil_smiley.gif
  Also your kitties were wonderful.  Taokaka was so friendly and fluffy.  Now I want a kitty so much more.  Also, you must be a ninja, I didn't even see you take pictures!

It was a pleasure to see everyone and get to know some people better.  Paul, Prashant, Steve, Dave, Ari, etc (sorry if I didn't put your name in) it was a pleasure and I hope to see you all at the upcoming meets.

As always, the head-fi community is welcoming and filled with overlapping hobbies that it is a pleasure to be a part of it.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 21
Man, this looked like a fantastic meet.  I really should write down a reminder on my lcd, I keep missing meets!  

Great pics all around!

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #21 of 21
Being a host of meets even year, has the one disadvantage of not being able to talk to friends and actually "listen" to the music. Bozeuttons and I shared a ride home and his first comment to me, was that this was the first meet that Tom actually saw me sit and listen to music. The whole Donald Fagan album, Dire Straits "Brothers in Arm's and and on and on"
I spent 6 solid hours in various chairs listening to music. I was in music heaven. A lot of new items have come out in the past 2 tears (before that, it was quite stagnant). We'll, I made sure to visit every station and sample the delicacies. It was like being at Waldbaums  and tasting everyhing that that was up for grabs. I was, and still am in music bliss. Thank you Dev and Dru for being such wonderful hosts ad for the first time, someone gave my wife a run for her money for he infamous cheesecake brownies and assorted dipped pretzels and other assorted goodies. I guess she'll have to be more innovative in her 3 a.m. cooking. Hat's off to Dru.
And if she smiled anymore, she will need botox shots and whatever the opposite of a face lift  is because, that woman lives in Nirvana (or at least it seems so. Every man needs a woman in their life like Telica and Dru, You could tell she is was in so much love with Dev, and she was the hostest with the mostest.
I envy both her and Dev because you could tell that they had something truly special
The size of the apartment was just perfect for the number of people that showed. I'm just glad that I didn't have to carry any crates or Pelican Cases up that 4 story walk-up.
Music listening. I'm not used to listening to music, except professionally. I enjoyed the Krell amp (which is Blackgated to death [16, I think]) with the HE-6 and the LCD-2's. out of all of the combinations that were offered.  
I have have the combo, and never thought to put together the HE6 or the 500's with the EF-5, but the combo had great synergy. My biggest surprise of the day was the HD800's playing through Eddie Current's Laconic EC-01 (that was the square black box that looked average, but I thought the sound was far better that average, and walked out with it to make Ari's suitcase lighter.

Looks simple but is great for the higher impedance headphones. Dense sucker, but like all of Eddie's creations (think Zana Deux,his screws all have about 3 threads on them and back out easily, but man, do I live the locking Neutrik connector. The LCD-2 and the Apache was a great match. surprisingly so. I've always had mixed emotions about the Apache (usually liking the B-52 better of the 2) but being that there wasn't a B-52, the Apache won, hands down, and transformer up :)>).
I found the Edition 10's to be a real let down when you factor in the price and the hype. I can, with all sincerity say, that the stand was the best part of the package,
I really liked the "beach chair" holder for the iMod. I could smell the Coppertone. There's something special to say about Nikongod's Silver Ghost. I find the sound to be something special. As usual, great job Ari.
I was a small loft and yet Dev and Dru maximized that save very wisely, Especially when you factor in the people and the equipment, I don't think, logistic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back