Bronze + Beats = Heavenly Hybrid Headphone
May 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ruthieandjohn

Stumbling towards enlightenment
(Formerly known as kayandjohn.)
Seems to me that:

1. Headphones that are highly accurate and analytical, while providing great transparency, treble, and midrange, do not provide bass so strong that you feel it, while...
  2. Headphones that provide visceral, thumping bass tend to be "flabby," distorting the upper harmonics of that bass (and everything else in the mid and upper range).

Also, we know that bass frequencies have a longer wavelength and can penetrate the body to greater depth than higher frequencies.

So we knew that it would not be long until some time, some idiot would conceive a solution to this dichotomy.

The time is now; the idiot is... ME!

The Shure SE 535 bronze is a great, neutral in-ear monitor, with great sound stage, good transparency, small size, yet great isolation capability as it fits tightly into the ear.

The Beats Pro over-ear headphone provides great thumping bass that you can feel as well as hear, bass that grabs you by the throat and shakes you.  It also has a plug on each earpiece, allowing you to drive it through one and daisy chain a second headphone with the same signal through another.

Introducing... The Heavenly Hybrid Headphone!

• Plug the Shure SE535 IEMs into the daisy chain signal jack of the Beats Pro;
  • Insert the Shure IEMs into your ears as you normally would;
  • Place the Beats Pro headphones over your ears that already have the Shure IEMs in them;
  • Plug the other Beats cord into your signal source, and Prepare To Be Amazed!

Most of the signal comes unaltered through the high-fidelity Shure SE 535 IEMs.

However, the deep visceral bass, which the IEMs do not replicate, come in through the Beats Pro over your ears, felt via bone conduction and not obstructed by the Shure IEMs in your ear canal.

Here is a picture, which shows one of the IEMs placed in the earcup, and shows the black Shure cord daisychained from the Beats right earpiece, as well as the red Beats cord bringing the signal in from the source.

Sort of like adding a subwoofer to your high-fidelity speaker system.

(And to think that some folks here state that they can only use ONE headphone at a time!)

May 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 8
There's always the Mad Dogs and DT770 for much cheaper than this.

May 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 8
  There's always the Mad Dogs and DT770 for much cheaper than this.

Which one goes on top, the Mad Dogs or the DT770 (then I assume the other is inside, underneath.... right?)

May 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Mad Dogs against your ears, DT770's outside. The one with better detail retrieval should be closest to your ear, the one with more visceral bass around, so bass frequencies have more time to form, and the detail of the nicer can can still dominate.

May 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Finally Beats has found it's true place in headfi....u deserve a prize John!

May 24, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Finally Beats has found it's true place in headfi....u deserve a prize John!

Thanks... I LUV Beats!  In my FIAT automobile (Beats Audio), on my iPad (Beats Music), and on my head (Beats Studio 2013, Beats Studio 2013 Wireless, Beats Pro, and most recently, Beats Heartbeats (Lady Gaga IEMs))!

Are they going to drum me off of head-fi.org?

(Edited addition):  Hey, I just learned that the post starting this thread was my 100th post... where do I send the address to which the obligatory 100-post Sennheiser HD 800 will be sent to me?

May 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 8
U are doing just fine for the economy, beats is koooool:)
Forget hd800....it ain't got the pumps to do The Beat! Lolz

May 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 8

Which one goes on top, the Mad Dogs or the DT770 (then I assume the other is inside, underneath.... right?)

You take the magnets from the DT770 and dump them into the diaphragm of the Mad Dogs. Then magic happens.

Your headphones will probably explode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back