Broken WASAPI with Dell Laptop
Oct 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

adam777

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
Since I haven't received an answer yet at the official fb2k forum, I figured I might as well try my luck here.
I've recently tried using the WASAPI output component, only to realize there's something wrong as it won't force exclusive mode.
Meaning, when playing in fb2k, whenever there's some other sound needed to be played on the machine (windows sounds etc.) the playback will cut, and usually not come back until fb2k is retarted.
Obviously, this is not how exclusive mode is supposed to work.
I've made sure both "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "give exclusive mode applications priority" are checked.
My machine is Dell Studio 1555, which uses the 92HD73C1 chip from IDT, and I'm running the latest driver from Dell (6.10.0.6217) under Windows 7 x64 RTM.
Thanks in advance, Adam.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't use Foobar much and I'm not familiar with its inner workings. Just presenting some options here for avenues to investigate.

Do you have another sound device, maybe a USB DAC, that you can borrow to check to see if it has the same behavior? It could be that the driver for your sound chip has a case of think different and causing exclusive mode to not behave as expected.

You could also try J. River Media Center. It comes with a 30 day trial. It supports WASAPI and has a checkbox to enable or disable exclusive mode. You can use that as a test to see how exclusive mode and shared mode behave with your audio drivers.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Hello all,
Sorry for this thread-bumping-from-hell (
smile.gif
), but I have recently decided to give this thing another try.
What have changed? first of all, I realized it's not a foobar issue at all, as XMPlay with the WASAPI plugin in exclusive mode showed the exact same behavior (audio cut in favor of some other sounds, while it should be the other way around), so it must be some general audio card / driver problem.
I noticed this behavior in lots of driver versions over this past few months since the original post (currently using 6.10.0.6272).
Any ideas now?
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back