Broken Re0's...How do I fix it?
Jul 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kumquatism

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi...I've owned my RE0's for a while now, probably almost 2 years.  Recently, I let my cousin borrow them for a weekend to test them out (she was headphone shopping).  She brought them back, and my left driver's not making any noise now.  She says she didn't do anything out of the ordinary to them, and I believe her. 

How do I go about determining what is broken so I can fix it.  Or perhaps I should just get a different set of IEMs, if the cost is too much.

I tried playing around with the cable to see if I can make out a faulty connection from the cable somewhere, but I still can't seem to produce any sound from that driver.  The cable is still connected to the driver, and I took the back of the driver housing off to take a look, and I still can't find anything wrong.  There doesn't seem to be any physical defects of the IEMs or anything.  The only thing I can seem to find that's wrong with it is that one driver doesn't work.

I thought about re-cabling it, but if there's something wrong with the driver and not the cable, then I just wasted time and money cabling to a faulty driver.

I've included a picture of the driver.  Note:  I took it apart after it broke; it wasn't originally like that.

re0.jpg

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 7
The same exact symptoms happened to my RE0. I couldn't get a resistance reading from the terminals. Continuity from the jack to the terminals is ok. I assume this means that the driver is shot. Anyone have any experience with trying to get a replacement driver or parts from head-direct?

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Ive had this happen and recabled them, all was well, I had some leftover cables to test them out though luckily.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 7
I contacted headdirect, and they said they don't sell any replacement parts for the re0.  I soldered off the cable and swapped the drivers from left to right to test and they work.  So it's definitely the cable for me.  They're still sitting around somewhere.  I just don't have the time and skill to recable them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back