Broken Beyers?
Oct 30, 2008 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mikeg88

Head-Fier
I've had my DT880 pro's since August, and they've begun to clip on me. I have a few tracks with really low bass and sub-bass frequencies (and lots of it!) that were, up until now, totally clean, and punchy. Now they clip, with the EQ flat - even on very moderate volume levels.

I listen through a HeadRoom micro amp portable, through my MacBook's optical out, which has always been really good. None of my setup has been dropped, or damaged in any way I can think of. Also, the problem is not present with my other cans (like my sonys and shures). I tried the same songs on my HeadRoom Total BitHead, with no probs (although, my TBH can't quite power the Beyers).

Maybe someone can try and see if they get the same results I do. A good test track would be "Point Des Arts" by St. Germain (from the album "Tourist").

Is it possible this is some minor issue like a hair that has snuck through the foam, and is touching the driver? If so should I try to disassemble them to get it out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Hmm.. You'd have to have pretty pointy hairs I think.
wink.gif
I hear clipping as well, though it's my X-FI.. I'm pretty sure of that..
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 9
Are the batteries fresh in your portable amp?
(If you are using batteries, not a wall-wart plug)

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 9
yea...I'll charge it, and see if that helps.
Thanks apatN for trying as well!.

Any other suggestions welcome...

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 9
I can't hear anything clipping on the track you mentioned. It is indeed possible that it's just a hair. Beyers are pretty easy to take apart so that's what I would do before trying anything else.

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 9
EnOYiN,

that's also a good piece of advice. And thank you for doing the test track. That helps quite a bit.

I've got my beyers apart now, so I guess I should just try to pick out any hairs and dust I see carefully until there's none left?

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Grado suffers from that problem as well. It is known as 'grattle' which indeed is a hair causing the rattle. I had it with my MS-1 and I would just take the pads off, place my mouth on the driver and suck very gently.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Yay, they're fixed! You guys rock for helping me sort things out!

I think my amp was actually the problem - I took apart my Beyers only to find that they're completely clean inside - only lint from the velour (but hardly any at all).

I guess when my amp nears the end of it's battery cycle, the voltage drops too low for my 880's!

I know what to do next time...

Thanks again, and happy listening.

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Glad it all worked out for you and nothing is broken (especially those nice DT880s). Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back