Broken ATH-ESW9
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

redwires

Head-Fier
The plastic swivel part of my ATH-ESW9 has broken (see attachment). I am not sure how common this is, but has anyone had this part break? It's only the left side, but I also noticed a crack on the swivel piece on right side, so that one would have been gone soon as well.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Almost tempted to machine a replacement piece out of aluminum.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm pretty sure others have mentioned this happening to them as well

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 21
Sounds scary.

I wish more cans could be taken apart, like 650s.

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 21
Damn, that makes me worry about my ESW10JPN's.

I would love it if we could order back pieces.

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 21
I would just suggest you contact AT's customer services where ever you can and ask them if they can help.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 21
I'd be annoyed, but I'd buy a replacement without hesitation. Maybe some 10s.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 21
I was planning to order these within the near future, but if it has a good possibility of breaking, I wouldn't be getting these anytime soon....

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 21
FYI my head is larger than average, though these did fit properly (with the ear pieces extended fully), and I think that may have cracked the swivels from the extra tension on them.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 21
I read about that and that is why I've always made sure to put on and take off the headphones by holding the band (as opposed to holding the earcup assembly).

Having a small head helps too.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by redwires /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI my head is larger than average, though these did fit properly (with the ear pieces extended fully), and I think that may have cracked the swivels from the extra tension on them.

I've got a big head too. This definitely puts me off to these as well as their more expensive brother that everyone is all excited about these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read about that and that is why I've always made sure to put on and take off the headphones by holding the band (as opposed to holding the earcup assembly).

Having a small head helps too.

Ok, fine... makes sense to take care while putting them on and taking them off, but what's being described in this thread suggests that they're pretty darn fragile. I've tried them and quite liked the sound, just in terms of the overall presentation they provide. Thought it was quite amazing for such a light weight and fragile looking pair of headphones, but little did I know how fragile they apparently are!

I've been known to drift off to sleep (or close to it, kind of a trance like state) while listening to headphones, and I'd be concerned about doing that with the ESW9 or ESW10. Definitely not a pair of cans to wear to bed!

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 21
How many have had a problem with the swivel breaking. Are the headphones still usable after they've broken? I was planning to get a pair of esw9. Like others I'm concerned about this issue.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 21
You can still use them, just you might have to glue it back together unless you like having to hold one side up all the time. And yeah, if you have a warranty, go ahead and send them back for a replacement. Audio-Technica USA probably won't honor a Japanese warranty, but with the ESW9A now being on the U.S. site, you never know. If not, you'll have to ask whoever you bought the headphones from if they can help you with service from the Japanese side.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been known to drift off to sleep (or close to it, kind of a trance like state) while listening to headphones, and I'd be concerned about doing that with the ESW9 or ESW10. Definitely not a pair of cans to wear to bed!

Well mainly for me the fact they're $300 'phones.

If they were $100, I wouldn't really care. Specially bought a DAB radio which plays off an SDHC...in fact can a D2 be bluetoothed with a dongle so I can buy a pair of little bluetooth speaklertrons for nighttime listenages?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back