Broken ATH-EM7 GM
Mar 27, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 15
Bump, Anybody know how to open up the headphones!? I figure I could fix them myself but the biggest problem would be opening them. After that a soldering job should fix it up perfectly.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 15
Hey there, just got a soldering iron again after moving house (lost my old one)

Looking to replace the cable on the ATH-EM7's I have, and figured it was better to bump this thread than to make a new one.
Anyway, looking at the headphone itself, I see no real way to open it. It has three screws which don't look standard (Kind of look like a star/allen key to me)

Just really looking for a bit of help, and any time you guys could spare would be great, thanks !

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Hey there, just got a soldering iron again after moving house (lost my old one)
Looking to replace the cable on the ATH-EM7's I have, and figured it was better to bump this thread than to make a new one.
Anyway, looking at the headphone itself, I see no real way to open it. It has three screws which don't look standard (Kind of look like a star/allen key to me)
Just really looking for a bit of help, and any time you guys could spare would be great, thanks !

The photo isn't exactly clear but if it's a 6-pointed star it would be a torx screw, you can find a bit or a screwdriver that fits at most electronics or hardware stores.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 15
Kinda old thread by now, I was trying to gather some info myself and saw the question about what key to use. At least I got that far from asking some Japanese person who completely modified the cabling for this thing. According to them it was a 1.5mm hex/allen key, that didn't do the trick for me as I needed a 1.27mm one, so you may need one of the two to open it. Hope this answers the question asked by everyone else who wondered the same thing who browsed this page. Pretty sure the similar models aka ATH-EM700 and possibly ATH-EW9 all use the same screw. If you got no idea where to start looking for these smaller sizes keys, you can try looking at dealextreme or similar that ship worldwide, they are good enough, just get the sizes right.

I'm also having some problem with the wiring (same as OP, left one stopped working, but messing with the wire sometimes still gives it sound, so it's definitely a wiring problem.) If I had to make a guess, it would be the green wire that's being problematic. I do not have a solder at the moment so I am unable to fix the issue as of now, so the left one is still not fully operational.

As for the guy who changed the cabling, the entry is in Japanese, though: http://yonhongi.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2009/03/post-03f7.html

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Kinda old thread by now, I was trying to gather some info myself and saw the question about what key to use. At least I got that far from asking some Japanese person who completely modified the cabling for this thing. According to them it was a 1.5mm hex/allen key, that didn't do the trick for me as I needed a 1.27mm one, so you may need one of the two to open it. Hope this answers the question asked by everyone else who wondered the same thing who browsed this page. Pretty sure the similar models aka ATH-EM700 and possibly ATH-EW9 all use the same screw. If you got no idea where to start looking for these smaller sizes keys, you can try looking at dealextreme or similar that ship worldwide, they are good enough, just get the sizes right.

I'm also having some problem with the wiring (same as OP, left one stopped working, but messing with the wire sometimes still gives it sound, so it's definitely a wiring problem.) If I had to make a guess, it would be the green wire that's being problematic. I do not have a solder at the moment so I am unable to fix the issue as of now, so the left one is still not fully operational.

As for the guy who changed the cabling, the entry is in Japanese, though: http://yonhongi.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2009/03/post-03f7.html

thanks. i was wondering how to open my EW9 up as well, since torx doesn't work on it. I'll try allen when i get home. thanks alot!

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 15
So I tried using 1.27mm and 1.5mm hex key for my EW9... 1.27mm hex key is too small and 1.5mm hex key is too big. Am i missing something here? haha... I really want to open the EW9 to change the dampening and a possible recable xD

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 15
no worries, ill try to bring the EW9 at a hardware store and look for a allen wrench that will fit into the EW9.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 15
It should be the same screw from the looks of it, just black in colour. It's odd neither the 1.27mm nor 1.5mm fit, as tzijn mentioned, there shouldn't be any size that's between those and making a specially sized screw for those would only add more production costs. Are you sure you didn't pick a 0.89mm wrench instead?

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
hey i know its late but im looking for some if you still happend to have them broken or not il take them off your hands

They have been fixed, but I probably don't live in your continent, as I live in the Netherlands, so it's probably going to end up a little pricey and maybe taking long to arrive, not sure if you're needing them soon. I think places such as ebay should still have them? Although they may be a little on the high side considering they are not longer made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back