Broke College Student Audiophile Guide
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LynetteCullen

New Head-Fier
Warning: This build focuses on portability and cost. It is heavily influenced by what I had on hand. I am by no means an expert, but here is what I did.

Note: All important items are listed in red. Unnecessary items are listed under Extras. The price that I paid for the item is listed in blue while the listed price for an item is indicated in purple.

Media Player: iPod Video (AKA iPod 5.5) [$70] [$0]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzUZ6uJUCczLF5J8

Headphones: Shure SE215 [$100] [$98]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzk7nTgryRCtFtU7

Amplifier (For Modularity): Biosciencegeek (BSG) Headphone Amplifier cMOY Premium Amp [$50] [$50]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzHogVw6qQaX76G-

LOD Cable: FiiO L9 Right Angled Line Out Dock Cable for iPod, iPhone and iPad [$15] [$5]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhx0AbsJl8s8pmhrCl

Extras:

Bluetooth Headphones: Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headphones [$76] [$55]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzjYSjfbLQeEFlCO

Bluetooth Adapter: Jaybird OEM iSport Bluetooth adapter for your iPod/iPhone 4 or older Gen [$20] [$15]

Custom In Ear Monitor Conversion Mod: Amazing Mold Putty (200 grams) For Push Molds for Choc, Polymer clay& much more [$6] [$6]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhx0LWwLXeJasxRL0F

Amp Mods (For Future Proofing and Customizing Sound to Specific Headphones):

1. TLE2082AC [$3] [$0.15]

2. AD712JN [$1] [$0.35]

3. OPA2227PA [$2] [$0.90]

4. LM4562NA [$2] [$0.87]

5. JRC4556AD [$2] [$1.30]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzLu8g1ahkhY3uAT

iPod Mods (For Future Proofing):

1. mSATA PCI-E SSD to 40pin ZIF CE Cable Adapter Card for IPOD Classic 5th 6th [$8] [$8]

2. 3000mAh Battery Upgrade replacement for iPod Classic 6 6.5 7 Video 5 5.5 Thin [$15] [$15]

3. Crucial MX200 mSATA 500GB SATA 6Gbps (SATA III) CT500MX200SSD3 [$109] [$0]

Important Items Total: $235

My Total: $255.57

Grand Total: $479

s!Arf4KtDfq0xhx0RXwsKQRGtuWFvy

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 7
Warning: This build focuses on portability and cost. It is heavily influenced by what I had on hand. I am by no means an expert, but here is what I did.

Note: All important items are listed in red. Unnecessary items are listed under Extras. The price that I paid for the item is listed in blue while the listed price for an item is indicated in purple.

Media Player: iPod Video (AKA iPod 5.5) [$70] [$0]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzUZ6uJUCczLF5J8

Headphones: Shure SE215 [$100] [$98]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzk7nTgryRCtFtU7

Amplifier (For Modularity): Biosciencegeek (BSG) Headphone Amplifier cMOY Premium Amp [$50] [$50]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzHogVw6qQaX76G-

LOD Cable: FiiO L9 Right Angled Line Out Dock Cable for iPod, iPhone and iPad [$15] [$5]

Extras:

Bluetooth Headphones: Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headphones [$76] [$55]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzjYSjfbLQeEFlCO

Bluetooth Adapter: Jaybird OEM iSport Bluetooth adapter for your iPod/iPhone 4 or older Gen [$20] [$15]

Custom In Ear Monitor Conversion Mod: Amazing Mold Putty (200 grams) For Push Molds for Choc, Polymer clay& much more [$6] [$6]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhx0LWwLXeJasxRL0F

Amp Mods (For Future Proofing and Customizing Sound to Specific Headphones):

1. TLE2082AC [$3] [$0.15]

2. AD712JN [$1] [$0.35]

3. OPA2227PA [$2] [$0.90]

4. LM4562NA [$2] [$0.87]

5. JRC4556AD [$2] [$1.30]
s!Arf4KtDfq0xhxzLu8g1ahkhY3uAT

iPod Mods (For Future Proofing):

1. mSATA PCI-E SSD to 40pin ZIF CE Cable Adapter Card for IPOD Classic 5th 6th [$8] [$8]

2. 3000mAh Battery Upgrade replacement for iPod Classic 6 6.5 7 Video 5 5.5 Thin [$15] [$15]

3. Crucial MX200 mSATA 500GB SATA 6Gbps (SATA III) CT500MX200SSD3 [$109] [$0]

Important Items Total: $235

My Total: $255.57

Grand Total: $479

s!Arf4KtDfq0xhx0RXwsKQRGtuWFvy

What smartphone are you using? If your focus is portability and cost nothing beats using a smartphone you already have to play off a streaming service like Spotify Premium and driving an IEM with very high sensitivity and not too low impedance (ie, an IEM that can be easily driven by a smartphone), as well as good isolation.

I've been using an Aurisonics ASG-1.3 with a Galaxy Note 3 for three and a half years as my portable rig. And since power isn't a problem while I do have a smartphone with a processor, I run NeutronMusicPlayer which has an up to 10-band parametric EQ (I only use two with the ASG-1.3).

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 7
What smartphone are you using? If your focus is portability and cost nothing beats using a smartphone you already have to play off a streaming service like Spotify Premium and driving an IEM with very high sensitivity and not too low impedance (ie, an IEM that can be easily driven by a smartphone), as well as good isolation.

I've been using an Aurisonics ASG-1.3 with a Galaxy Note 3 for three and a half years as my portable rig. And since power isn't a problem while I do have a smartphone with a processor, I run NeutronMusicPlayer which has an up to 10-band parametric EQ (I only use two with the ASG-1.3).

I wish I could do what you did, but I currently have the 64 GB Galaxy Note 5. There is no expandable storage, and I don't have the money to shell out for high quality streaming services, even with the student discount. My music library is currently 76 GB. So, I raided my family discorded electronics drawer and found the iPod 5.5. All the upgrades to the iPod happened because it kept breaking. Both the hard drive and the battery died. So, I modded the hell out of it, and it became what you saw above.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 7
I wish I could do what you did, but I currently have the 64 GB Galaxy Note 5. There is no expandable storage, and I don't have the money to shell out for high quality streaming services, even with the student discount. My music library is currently 76 GB. So, I raided my family discorded electronics drawer and found the iPod 5.5. All the upgrades to the iPod happened because it kept breaking. Both the hard drive and the battery died. So, I modded the hell out of it, and it became what you saw above.

It doesn't have to be a premium music service like Tidal MQA, you can just go with Spotify Premium which even with the "Premium" label isn't as expensive as Tidal MQA and such other lossless services (I'm paying $3/mo). Past that the only other problem is if you have a data cap (you can just use WiFi wherever you find it). I wouldn't have spent that much money on the iPod, but since you already have, then you'll just have to sacrifice on the quality of the earphones.

That said, what you can avoid spending on is the amp. Find some earphones with a not too low impedance but still have well over 100dB sensitivity for the iPod, like the VSonic VSD5. Costs less than the SE215 and you can skip the amp.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 7
I have the SE215, it sounds quite nice for $100 and is pretty durable. I use the foam olive tips for the best sound, a little more work to put in the ears but the bass is better, more solid. Currently I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a set of Bose QC20 and Spotify premium (for my portable, easy to use setup). I got the phone free (hand me down from my stepson) and use it wifi only, and already had the QC20 from my days when I did a lot of traveling.

The sound quality of this combination (or with SE215) is far better than anything I could have afforded when I was a college student, and the HUGE amount of music available for $10/month from Spotify is something I couldn't have imagined back then. We really have it good now compared to the old days.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 7
I wish I could do what you did, but I currently have the 64 GB Galaxy Note 5. There is no expandable storage, and I don't have the money to shell out for high quality streaming services, even with the student discount. My music library is currently 76 GB. So, I raided my family discorded electronics drawer and found the iPod 5.5. All the upgrades to the iPod happened because it kept breaking. Both the hard drive and the battery died. So, I modded the hell out of it, and it became what you saw above. This is a great solution for those who face restrictions in terms of finances and access to streaming services. Your ability to take available resources and turn them into something unique and effective is inspiring. Students will definitely love this. I barely found assignment writing services for myself, I use https://ca.edubirdie.com/assignment-writing-services for this. Everywhere they did anything to me. What I mean is that any advice will be useful for students. I would also like to commend you for choosing the Aurisonics ASG-1.3 and using the Neutron Music Player for maximum control over your audio experience.
The idea of using an old iPod 5.5 and modifying it to optimize the music experience within storage limitations is simply genius.
Thanks for the detailed review and sharing your experience! Good luck creating the perfect sound setup for your college life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back