Broke BUT I got a gift card!
Jan 18, 2011 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yenwen

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So, as the title goes, I'm broke. But I do have a $164 gift card to the Apple store. I've been using the Iphone headset as my normal headset for listening to music. But I haven't always been like this I used to have a Vmoda Vibe 1 which were great for bass in a earphone but lacked a lot of clarity plus they broke on me the first month left volume died. I've had a Shure E2s that were absolutely incredible except they lacked a lot of bass ( I guess I have small ears). But anyways I'm now sick and tired of these iphone headsets and I want something nicer I would like something over the ear since I'd like to use them for music and movies. I'd also like to be able to wear them at a coffee shop and not have to listen to all of the chatter going on. Most importantly I'd like to buy them at the Apple store since I'm broke.

I'm very interested in the Skullcandy Rocnation Aviators because I like the classic look. I'm not a fan of Dre Beats styling at all I think it's disgustingly loud in design. But I'm open to hearing about the audio quality of both.

Also I hear that the Skullcandy Skull crushers are quite nice. Any comments on that? I found them on Amazon for 35bucks and that would save me my gift card and be dirt cheap to have.

Music I listen to, primarily hip hop in the car since I have a booming system. But when I study I listen to Mozart to help me focus. And definitely I'd like to watch movies with them so that I don't have to bother the rest of the family with my computer speakers. By no means am I an audiophile but I definitely am a fan of sound quality. I also consider myself a basshead but I don't like to have my music sound muffled. The Vibes sounded muffled.

Please help

Thank you very much,

Yenwen

Side note, If I later on when I have some money to spare I'd like to replace my headset for phone use and listening to music at the gym. If I send my Vmoda's back I get 50% off what would be a good choice to get from them?

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 15
A quick look on the website and it doesn't show that they have the Rocnation Aviators but I've seen them at the store. I see also that have Shure SRH240M+ as well and a few other that look promising.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 15
I don't know how Shure 240M sounded, so I can't comment on them. From the website, I see they have Senn PX100/200 II. PX100/PX200 II have a very nice all-around sound. They are portable headphones, pretty smaal, easy to carry. The PX100 II is open headphone, so it leak (both in and out) sound, while the PX200 II is closed headphones. But I don't think the isolation is that much better than PX100 II since they supra-aural (they sit on your ears, not around your ears). However, they are headphones, not headset, so you can't use them to do call. I don't know much about headset, so can't help you there.

edit: if you want to know how PX100 II and PX200 II sounded like, try search for the review here, I think I read some. Or try this one: http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-portable-shootout-px100-px200-portapro-k404-v-jays-tracks-oldskool-and-hd238/

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 15
B&W and Klipsch Image One are the best you're going to get at the Apple store, if you want circumaural/supraaural headphones.  If you don't mind IEMs, then the etymotic or shure are pretty solid sound.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Hey guys,

So, today out of just pure desperation I went to Apple store and instead of the Aviators I got the V-moda crossfade LP.

Sound quality is better than the Skullcandy. But I hate the styling... Simply despise it. I wanted to test out the Shure 240m+ But they didn't have a display model available to test. I spent 200bucks on these and I'm really thinking about taking it back. I hope they give me cash instead of a 200 dollar gift card. Just wondering if I return it and actually get 200 cash back in non gift card form What would you guys suggest for me in the bang for your buck headphone?

side note: beast for movies!

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 15
If you  end up returning them and willing to sell the card  to get cash or amazon credit look at Plasticjungle .com . It's where I sell the gift cards I don't want and nobody I know wants to buy off me . What they pay has always been fair when I have used them and have not had a problem with them.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #14 of 15
hey thanks that's really helpful!! My mom got a bath and body gc and it's completely useless in my house so definitely i'll check it out. I'm hoping that apple doesn't give me a gift card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back