broadband
Sep 17, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by akar
That's horrible

Really?
frown.gif

On 56K, I could only get about 7kbps... and I just downloaded a 31mb file in 15 minutes... What should I be getting speed wise?

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #32 of 35
Duncan, it isn't bad actually. I assume you say you are getting 60KB/sec downloads, not 60Kb/sec. There is a difference, the lowercase "b" is a bit, while the uppercase "B" is a byte (there are 8 bits in a byte). Intenet speeds are most often reported in bits per second, which tends to confuse people.

If that is true (which from the download time you got it seems to be) you are getting an actually throughput of about 480Kb/sec. That leaves about 32Kb/sec for routing info and such. You really can't get much better than that.

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 35
Duncan,

You're getting about what I'd expect. I had a 768 SDSL connection (which is just 768 both ways), and I typically was able to receive data at 80-100k/s. Somtimes it would be a bit faster, sometimes a bit slower.

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #34 of 35
Thanks CaptBubba and ACS236, that'll be what I was saying wrongly...

Well, here is a little status indicator snap-shot that I took after 6 hours of being online... by no means was this constantly downloading... but should clear things up well and truly...

You'll have to ignore the fact that it says its connected at 28.8, i've been told that that is because I didn't remove my modem before installing ADSL... oh well...

attachment.php

Sorry for the appaling quality... I had to compress it loads to fit in the 25600 byte file size limit
frown.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #35 of 35
Ricochet wireless broadband will be back up and running soon. The infrastructure is already up (even in Texas) and the company has been purchased and reorganized.

They are back live in Denver and will be live here in San Diego very soon.

Sign up to be notified when they'll come to your city HERE (https://www.ricochet.com/Order/getit.aspx) .

Before they folded the first time, the service was awesome. Our people used it when traveling to give demos and it was great.

The problem was that the infrastructure was very expensive and they weren't able to recoup the money fast enough. After they folded, their technology was purchased for pennies on the dollar and it's coming back.

Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back