British 10 Most Stupid Laws
Nov 7, 2007 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Contrastique

Headphoneus Supremus
I came across this on the internet (well, where else haha) and I just lolled my ass off and thought I'd share with you. This is for real. About 4000 people voted on what they thought was the most stupid law in Britain, so that's why you can see the percentages after each quote.

Here we go:

ON the day of the Queen’s Speech, the BBC shows us “The UK’s top 10 most ridiculous British laws”:

# 1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

# 2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen’s image upside-down (7%)

# 3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

# 4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (5%)

# 5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

# 6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman’s helmet (4%)

# 7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)

# 8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)

# 9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%)

# 10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

Now this can't be a healthy country now can it haha
icon10.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 20
We keep some of the good laws just in case. You should see how many tropical fish stores there are in Liverpool!

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should see how many tropical fish stores there are in Liverpool!

Yes. Yes I should!

Better be careful I don't carry a bow & quiver in York though. People can sense the Scot in my blood.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 20
Hmm I don't see what's so odd about most of them.. but of course taken out of context...

although the whale one is a bit odd, I have no problems with no. 10, armed scotsmen in york was quite a problem back in the day.
wink.gif

It's not like we don't have soome doozys here in the US too

http://www.dumblaws.com/
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
# 9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%)

But security can wear bullet-proof vests. The Royal Chainmaile Manufacturers Society shall hear about this and set a lobbyist upon them.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Here's an odd law

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.scotiapipers.co.uk/history.htm
The playing of the Bagpipe was banned in Scotland after the uprising of 1745. They were classified as an instrument of war by the loyalist government. They were kept alive in secret. Anyone caught carrying pipes were punished, the same as any man that bore arms for Bonnie Prince Charlie. In 1746, in York, James Reid, a piper who bore no arms against the English king was tried for treason. The court came to the conclusion "no highland regiment ever marched without a piper and therefore his bagpipes in the eyes of the law, was an instrument of warfare" He suffered death on the 6th November 1746.

After the ban was lifted, Highland Bagpipe playing really began to emerge. They became very popular with Scottish Soldiers who carried the instrument the world over making the sound of the instrument more popular and encouraging others to learn. This has helped the sound of the pipe to survive and to ensure that wherever you travel in the world that there is a Scottish presence you can be sure to hear the sound of the great Highland Bagpipe.

edit:
n.b. there are still plenty of local pipers (my brother included)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 20
if you care to look up the laws of your own country, you will find some equally bizarre laws i am sure.

most country's hold archaic, legacy law.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this can't be a healthy country now can it haha
icon10.gif

that is one funny ironic quote coming from someone living in holland, where it is legal to smoke yourself to death with marijuana on every street corner and have promiscuous sex in prostitute dedicated zones!

thats real healthy!
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 20
I live in Kennesaw, Georgia. In Kennesaw you *must*, by law, have a firearm (with live ammo) in the house. I kid you not! Needless to say, a lot of folks break the law around here.

As a point of information, this law was passed in 1982.
blink.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 20
Most of those laws are really old.

I remember reading somewere about this old law in the state of california.

It says that a man can beat his wife with a belt up to 2inches thick. If he desires to use a belt that is over 2 inches and up to a maximum of 4, then he needs authorisation from his wife.

And another one: In Natches, Mississipi, elefants are forbidden to drink bear alone

I'm sure there are plenty other odd laws around. I'll try to find one or two from Portugal.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 20
Oh, there's a belt width law. I was more accustomed with the rule that you can't beat your wife with a stick thicker than your thumb.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also illegal to pass loud flatulence at the dinner table when the Queen is present during a banquet.

However it is legal for the queen to do it, and anyone who disagrees will be beheaded.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back