Brisbane NOVEMBER 2012 Meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #196 of 236
Quote:
Hi Guys

Momiji has just made me aware of the change of date. I was wondering what happened to April. All good from my end i think. I am pretty sure i will be able to get there.

With respect to gear check out my profile with the gear i currently own.

Although this will need to be updated as i have now sold off my Yamamoto HA-02 amp and in its place i have a DNA Sonett amp.

I also have a Octave Metrum DAC that i will bring along.

And i also will have by then (i hope) a special pair of Headphones 
happy_face1.gif
 ... details provided closer to the day.

cheers j

I meant to post this earlier :) Anyhow the negotiation was successful and i am now the proud owner of these headphones.

So if you are coming along to the QLD Head-Fi show you will get a chance to have a listen.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #198 of 236
I meant to post this earlier :) Anyhow the negotiation was successful and i am now the proud owner of these headphones.

So if you are coming along to the QLD Head-Fi show you will get a chance to have a listen.

heavy or light?

how are they terminated?

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #199 of 236
Quote:
heavy or light?
how are they terminated?

The heavy version apprantly - terminated with a single 4pin balanced cable -  i have a "pig tail" to hook directly into an amplifier which i will also bring along. The amp i will be brining is a Nelson Pass F5 clone to hook these into. I find that neither the DNA or EC amp when using direct out of the headphone outputs really has enough "grunt" to power these. These are best directly hooked up to the outputs of an amplifier (just like a speaker) imho :)

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #200 of 236
I ask, just so I can see what /I can do about bringing these

14W class AB, these are my tweeter amps but should work well, I was going to try to bring them anyway, will see.

speaker taps dont really have much to do with it, just many suitable amps happen to be low power speaker amps

i'll be interested to hear with F5, would have thought that was a little bit voltage limited for highish impedance. great amp though!

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #201 of 236
Quote:
I ask, just so I can see what /I can do about bringing these
<snip>

14W class AB, these are my tweeter amps but should work well, I was going to try to bring them anyway, will see.
speaker taps dont really have much to do with it, just many suitable amps happen to be low power speaker amps
i'll be interested to hear with F5, would have thought that was a little bit voltage limited for highish impedance. great amp though!

Run the numbers for the K1000 through the LPUHP (the amp in qusp's photo for those who haven't seen it before) spreadsheet that I sent you a while back :wink: I might even do it tonight, it needs tweaking to take sensitivity in SPL/mW rather than 2.83V/1m ratings that I was using when doing the calcs for tweeters.

If my calcs on back of an envelope just now are right, should need a touch under 15V swing to produce 1W (the full rated power, probably utterly ear destroying at that power too). Giving the envelope another bit of punishment, I figure the LPUHP @15dB gain into the K1000 should be good for 108dB peak output ... I'll check that tonight. Sounds fun!

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #202 of 236
yeah I was thinking i'd lower the gain, my point above re F5 is mainly due to it being class A biased for lowZ speaker loads and fairly low rails, you wont get much class A into K1000 with 15V rails (standard for an F5) just not sure how gracefully the F5 transitions to AB given its primarily a class A amp. 15V rails on an F5 will probably net more like 10v usable swing once the drop across the fets is taken into account.

thats not to say it wont work at normal listening levels, but in standard format it probably wouldnt be my first choice, pretty sure it could be modified though

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #203 of 236
You guys are too technical for me. I didn't buy the F5 for the K1000's - it is the only amp that i have that is simple to wire the pig tail to. I have other amps lying around that might do a better job but these amps have like 8 bindiing posts and i would need those shorting strips to short them out to make is a simple connection which i don't have.

Other amps i have are the Unison Research Unico P or the Pioneer A400x. Let me know if either one of these is likely to do a better job and i will bring either one of them (or both along). I also have a Unison Research Simply 2 integrated valve amp that might work also? I haven't tried that yet either ... the S2 is a Class A Set amp.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #204 of 236
It's the curse of being an engineer, I simply overthink everything technical. Sorry for derailing the thread with a technical sideshow!!

The F5 is quite likely a very good amplifier for them, at just about any sane listening level. Me, I would love to have an F5, maybe one day I'll get to building one. qusp was really mentioning the absolute upper limits of the amplifier for dynamic range, when listening loud. 

My post was 100% related to the LPUHP amplifier in qusp's photos, because I also have a pair of them that I have built to use for tweeters in a speaker project. We had previously discussed using them as headphone amps and I had a spreadsheet to work out the different limitations of the amplifier that I used while selecting tweeters, I was just mentioning the changes that would be needed to that spreadsheet to get it working for headphones and the way that they are normally specified for efficiency.

One more sleep.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #205 of 236
nope, you missed my point, I was mainly on about the F5 class A bias, which is aimed at a specific load and headphones are pretty far from it.

far from the loudest levels, it'll probably be the softer levels you would notice it if anything =) ie crossover and intermod distortion

but lets just talk about it at the meet, bring it along, i'm not really familiar with the other amp you mentioned for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back