Source
Meridian G08

Attenuators (Volume Controls)
Promitheus Standard TVC (RCA)
Promitheus Ref C-Core (XLR & RCA)
Lightspeed Optical Attenuator (RCA)

Amp/DAC
E-MU USB 0404

I need to mod my sig as i no longer have the Weiss Minerva DAC and have also acquired some other bits of kit. Some of you guys have some serious thread counts. I have been a member for near on 5yrs and haven't even racked up a hundred posts yet!!!

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #32 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm pretty far away from the city so the thought of driving to the city and then a similar distance is almost a deal breaker.

AdventJah? I'm too young to have gone to those
frown.gif
. I wish I could have though
tongue.gif

yep adventjah, and before was even better my friend
evil_smiley.gif
but thats a lifetime ago now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome to have you along qusp! I really want to hear your markl d2000's, see how they stack up against my stock ones
wink.gif

hehe, will probably have a new cable on them by then too, balanced (dont worry I have an adapter for SE) the jena cable I put on there is green as my lawn :eeew:

Quote:

Hmm that would be a bloody interesting comparison!

I'm also interested in hearing what a quality psu can do.

problem with the PSUs i've got though is they perform best if the load is known so I can tune them, some have sense wires that should be attached to the load for best performance, but will see what I can think up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...interesting is one way of putting it, I am worried it will become expensive. Once I hear his I might get that itchy trigger finger again.

might have them for sale
wink.gif
the mod was actually done by me, its not 100% markL mod, I found that the full mod took some of the fun out of them, so I dont have any damping on the back of the drivers

Quote:

Well some more folks have said they are interested. The list of gear is getting ridiculously huge which wasn't expected.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

like I said, cant bring all of that, its too much, but will bring quite a bit, so if people would like to hear something specific, please do let me know. so far the denons and PSUs are defo coming, plus all my faves and anything new.

yes the buffalo II will be portable, its the dac in the DAC amp i'm putting together, that I cant lay claim to, but working on my own poutput stage as well as combinations of well known circuits and will see what performs best, then some of my portable gear will be up for sale
wink.gif
I cant see anything being released for the portable arena that will take things as far as i'm planning to, so with any luck i'll kill the upgraditus bug for a while.

at the moment though i'm using the buffalo II as the base for testing for the ackodac PSUs/regs with transformer coupling, the ackodac will be out in a few weeks and then i'll be set to start working on the B32v2 permanent battery powered home.

its not going to be a product, not making any more, just got sick of waiting for what I want, so took it on myself.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #33 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrisles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh forgot can bring the following

Source
Meridian G08

Attenuators (Volume Controls)
Promitheus Standard TVC (RCA)
Promitheus Ref C-Core (XLR & RCA)
Lightspeed Optical Attenuator (RCA)

Amp/DAC
E-MU USB 0404

I need to mod my sig as i no longer have the Weiss Minerva DAC and have also acquired some other bits of kit. Some of you guys have some serious thread counts. I have been a member for near on 5yrs and haven't even racked up a hundred posts yet!!!

cool, interested in the REF C-Core, how do you find the lightspeed? I bought some PCBs, but decided not to use them for the moment, the reports of distortion put me off. It was aimed at the ackodac, but the distortion measurements are orders of magnitude higher than the dac, so would seem disingenuous to blow serious dollars keeping noise and distortion to ridiculously low levels only to add some. going with digital volume control using the dac registers IE, the 'perfect' volume control with DNR still well above what the content is capable of.

regarding post count, havent actually been that active lately, put up heaps last year with craploads of research and banter. doing business here kinda requires a bit too.

<100 posts in 5years, now thats just lazy
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #34 of 408
Quote:

I have been a member for near on 5yrs and haven't even racked up a hundred posts yet!!!

sheeesh, and I thought I was bad....
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #35 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like I said, cant bring all of that, its too much, but will bring quite a bit, so if people would like to hear something specific, please do let me know. so far the denons and PSUs are defo coming, plus all my faves and anything new.

If you could bring your sources and dacs, that would be super. I wonder what the COD sounds like
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #36 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool, interested in the REF C-Core, how do you find the lightspeed? I bought some PCBs, but decided not to use them for the moment, the reports of distortion put me off, was aimed at the ackodac, but the distortion measurements are orders of magnitude higher than the dac, so would seem disingenuous to blow serious dollars keeping noise and distortion to ridiculously low levels only to add some. going with digital volume control using the dac registers IE, the 'perfect' volume control with DNR still well above what the content is capable of.

regarding post count, havent actually been that active lately, put up heaps last year with craploads of research and banter. doing business here kinda requires a bit too.

<100 posts in 5years, now thats just lazy
tongue.gif

To be honest i haven't yet heard the Lightspeed in my head-fi rig. I heard it last year in a speaker rig and thought that it was very good. So i ordered one and waiting for delivery to try for head-fi. So will have this in time for the meet. Re distortion etc i really don't care too much for "specs" etc. (no disrespect intended). I just listen and if i think it sounds good & is within my budget i bite the bullet. I guess if i worried about distortion specs etc i wouldn't have bought any valve amps?!!
wink_face.gif
However my Promitheus TVC's were bought unseen and unheard. I just liked the concept of TVC volume controls and the outlay for these didn't break the bank.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #37 of 408
I gave EthrealApril a buzz because I seem to remember he's also located in Brisbane.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #39 of 408
Quote:

To be honest i haven't yet heard the Lightspeed in my head-fi rig. I heard it last year in a speaker rig and thought that it was very good. So i ordered one and waiting for delivery to try for head-fi. So will have this in time for the meet. Re distortion etc i really don't care too much for "specs" etc. (no disrespect intended). I just listen and if i think it sounds good & is within my budget i bite the bullet. I guess if i worried about distortion specs etc i wouldn't have bought any valve amps?!!
wink_face.gif
However my Promitheus TVC's were bought unseen and unheard. I just liked the concept of TVC volume controls and the outlay for these didn't break the bank.

yeah well normally I would agree, but when building a full bore high resolution integrated DAC/pre/headamp, pulling all stops on everything I would prefer for the volume control not to be a bottleneck, otherwise I may as well just use something that doesnt boast 140DB DNR specs (I didnt choose it for the spec, but I wont lie and say it doesnt matter to me at all), i do a bit of production. for kicks, so need monitoring capability, if iI want some sort of colour I search for it in things other than source, like speakers or headphones. for a standalone amp or separate volume control that can be switched out of the system no problem. plus it just seemed kinda strange for a unit that supposedly gets out of the way of the signal (it quite literally isnt in the signal) to impose such distortion due to the mechanism itself .

the digital volume really is about as out of the way as you can get, this particular type doesnt use a separate DAC chip and resample the output of the dac/amp, it quite literally IS the dac, its like a digital shunt volume in that it controls the data that lies under the signal (actually above) so has literally zero effect on what is heard other than volume, input and output impedance remains constant

besides, isnt distortion what tube amps do best
biggrin.gif
hehe yes i'm a SS guy, i've heard some nice tube amps, but in general they arent my thing.

BTW got some leads on venues in paddington if thats central enough?

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #40 of 408
tisbob and MomijiTMO, thanks for the PMs. I'm definitely interested, though it looks like I'll probably be over in NZ early in July. For a venue, I suggest looking at schools or unis, which usually have rooms available for a reasonable rate.

I'll be able to bring:

RWA Isabellina (USB) DAC
Cambridge Audio Azur-840C (if I still have it - it's for sale atm)
Woo Audio WA6-SE
Sennheiser HD-650

I can't foresee any changes in my gear between now and then. My wallet's fairly beaten but luckily I'm pretty satisfied with how everything sounds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #41 of 408
Well we'll probably go for the last weekend of July then. We'll ask the unis what they charge for room hire as it could be a good bit cheaper than what the other places charge.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #42 of 408
I should be able to come, and bring DacMagic, Keces Ha-171, K702, Cowon S9 and Triple Fi 10's.

Are you able to try other people's custom IEM's? And how long do these meets usually go for?

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #43 of 408
Well it seems most places want to do a full day hire on the weekends or 1-2 hour sessions which won't be long enough. However, you can come and go as you like. I'd imagine most would stay for 3-4 hours.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #44 of 408
Quote:

Well it seems most places want to do a full day hire on the weekends or 1-2 hour sessions which won't be long enough. However, you can come and go as you like. I'd imagine most would stay for 3-4 hours.

With all that gear you're putting together I dont think anyone would want to leave.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #45 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbossner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should be able to come, and bring DacMagic, Keces Ha-171, K702, Cowon S9 and Triple Fi 10's.

Are you able to try other people's custom IEM's? And how long do these meets usually go for?

errrmm, even if you could, eeewww sorry I wouldnt want a complete stranger trying my customs, mine are specifically very deep fitted. by chance some peoples ears it seems are close enough to get a reasonable idea, but fit with them is crucial and I could imagine my JH13 not being so awesome without it. I was lucky enough to get a great fit first go so only experience I have of it is not having mine in properly.

the iceworks in paddington has rooms, undercover parking and apparently shouldnt cost more than ~100-150 for the day, checking out details to confirm, thats not recent info, so will see. its right diwn the beginning of paddington near caxton street, not up the top, so still pretty central and undercover parking = win

Users who are viewing this thread

Back