Bring my system to 220V country what to do?
Mar 28, 2002 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nattapong

Head-Fier
Hi,

I am taking all my systems to my country where electrical is 220V.
What are the options? I am an engineer though not electrical. So I am willing to learn what necessary DIY project for this move.

What I can imagine conceptually are.

1. Buy A/C converter 110/220 is available for imediate buy rated by Watts. Effect on sound??? ..

2. Change transformer inside each equipment. I would be much cleaner look for my new space. However, I am not sure how the power section inside work. Books???? Are they A/C D/C transformer or AC AC transformer.... ?? I have absolutely no idea that electrical inside most hifi... i.e amp, cd player .. are A/C or D/C .. only thing I am sure this that .. there are transformer which will transform 110 to something lower (But don't know A/C or D/C) I seem to interest in this choice... but is this viable?

Mar 28, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 5
Some transformers come with primary windings for both 120 and 220V. Then you can use a switch (solder one) to select voltage.

Remeber that the frequency of current is different as well (50 vs 60Hz). For audio it mostly doesn't matter as you rectify AC to DC. I'd think a transformer with 2:1 to convert 220 to 110 would be enough for equipment that doesn't care about Hz. Transfomer shouldn't have any effect on the sound. There are people though that claim that certain types of transformers (i.e. toroidal) sound "faster" than others; if it's properly sized it shouldn't matter.

Mar 28, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 5
YES !
aos is correct,you look at the primary winding,the AC side of the transformer and you will normally see two wire going direct to the AC plug coming in and two primary side wires connected together.
Split thos apart and attache one of each to the present primary wire inputs

Mar 29, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 5
I open my CD player up today. (Sony) Pretty confusing. Power supply section has more than that big transformer. Transformer was on top of PCB (separate from player PCB) with so many small connection solded to PCB. A/C line actually go into PCB at one corner. On that PCB has some more things on it includind something look like smaller transformer. Main connections has about 10 lines connect power supply PCB to player PCB like plug power supply on computer mainboard. On top of that there is separate lines (3-4 lines) from that other small transformer connect to player PCB ... ..

so.. I have absolutely no idea where ... are those thing you mention... I can supply photo is that help.

Mar 29, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 5
My DVD player has similar setup. I think they are using switching regulators for some reason.

Anyway, AC goes to the PCB so that they can connect it to the power switch or whatever. Eventually, there are only two wires going to transformer with AC, one way or another. You'd need to follow the route of AC from the mains where it gets connected to the board until you see where it goes to the transformer.

But if you are unsure of what you're doing, better don't try to do any modifications yourself. Just buy an off-the-shelf solution rather than destroying your player or killing yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back