Brighter HD650?
May 27, 2015 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
I love everything about the HD650's but they are too dark. The bass is nice and present, mids are great and have some weight too them without being too intimate, sound stage and imaging are good (not the best but good enough and realistic), comfort is great, look is also very nice. I am looking for an alternative to the HD650's that are brighter. I can get the HD650's new for $300 but my budget could be higher, I'll say $500 and if I need to go higher I can. 

May 27, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 17
It's a bit more detailed in the treble and doesn't have that low midbass hump you hear with the 650. The treble isn't nearly as bright as beyers are, but the detail is there. It has a fairly wide sound stage, wider than the 650 because it doesn't have that warm, intimate type of sound. I personally like the 600 more than the 650. 

May 27, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 17
It's a bit more detailed in the treble and doesn't have that low midbass hump you hear with the 650. The treble isn't nearly as bright as beyers are, but the detail is there. It has a fairly wide sound stage, wider than the 650 because it doesn't have that warm, intimate type of sound. I personally like the 600 more than the 650. 

Indeed same option for me

Okay well the 600 was what I was going to go with before I posted this thread but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else.

May 27, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 17
OP, what's your amp, DAC, and source material?

^ This ^

The 650 is capable of superb sound but it really does require some muscle to get there.

May 27, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 17

^ This ^

The 650 is capable of superb sound but it really does require some muscle to get there.

Still, it has a treble dip and that won't be fully compensated with any alternative gear. Equalizing might do the trick, but it's not the remedy for everything.

Okay well the 600 was what I was going to go with before I posted this thread but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else.

There is something else, but it really depends whether you are prepared to buy second hand and whether you want to go for electrostatics or not.

The alternative you might want to consider is a second hand Stax system. Those can be found in good shape between $300 and $500 (or much more, but I'm talking about entry level here).

I had the Beyerdynamic T1 and just out of curiosity I bought a Stax Basic system. I was so impressed that I sold the T1, I sold the Stax system and with that money I bought a Stax SRS-4040 system. I'm still very happy with my purchase. I used to have the HD580 which has the same drivers as the HD600 and from memory I can say that my current system is more detailed, has an even better soundstage, has better imaging and speed.

The Lambda series also has an energetic treble, which is what you are looking for. There is a significant roll-off in the bass, but with good equalization, the extension is very impressive without compromising the detail.

Still, the HD600 is the safe choice. If you feel adventurous you can go for second hand electrostatics. Worst case scenario is that you don't like them as much as the HD650 and unless something unfortunate happens, you can sell the Staxes for the same price you bought them. It would only cost you time (and gain you experience).

May 27, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 17
OP, what's your amp, DAC, and source material?

^ This ^

I have a O2+ODAC coming tomorrow, source material is a mix of 320 and aac256 files. I know the HD650's are great (I've actually owned them three different times lol) but they are just too dark for me.

May 27, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 17
I have a O2+ODAC coming tomorrow, source material is a mix of 320 and aac256 files. I know the HD650's are great (I've actually owned them three different times lol) but they are just too dark for me.

So is this your first amp?

I started out with an ODAC & O2 and thought it was very good. Then I heard the demo unit of the Project Ember and my jaw dropped. I sold the O2 and bought the new Project Ember MkII. It's valve dependent but the 650's treble sparkles, the bass is deep and solid & the mids are to die for.

May 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 17

So is this your first amp?

I started out with an ODAC & O2 and thought it was very good. Then I heard the demo unit of the Project Ember and my jaw dropped. I sold the O2 and bought the new Project Ember MkII. It's valve dependent but the 650's treble sparkles, the bass is deep and solid & the mids are to die for.

No I have had a couple of different amps before. I have owned and returned or sold the: Bottlehead Crack (Selling now actually), Schiit Lyr, Schiit Magni, and Schiit Vali. I will be the odd one out of a lot of you here I am sure but through my experience with any of these amps vs my motherboard's onboard amp (motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR3-Motherboards-Z97-G45-GAMING/dp/B00K23BYCI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432779287&sr=8-3&keywords=g45+gaming) I can't tell a difference that is worth the price of the amp (and dac for that matter). I basically just got the O2+ODAC because I hate adjusting the volume on my pc when I could just turn a knob and I like the look of the black O2. 

May 28, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 17
Fair enough, the HD 650 is not for you then
smily_headphones1.gif

I doubt you're going to hear much difference with the HD 600 though. They're more similar than they are different.

May 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 17
I understood you have the old black drivers HD650. Am I wrong? I own the new HD650 with the silver drivers and it has a great bright on the highs. I could not compare it with the HD600 but I also own a AKG K702, wich is extremely bright. The differences between it and the HD650 in the high frequencies is not to much. My HD650 is a little more smooth and warm than the K702 on the highs. I think the new HD 650 with the silver drivers would be great for you. What do you think about the Philips Fidelio X2? I have not tried it but the reviewers say it has a great bass, very balanced tone and great highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back