Bright IEM/bud for Sony a818
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

novasol

Head-Fier
Well after listening to my new sony a818 for a few weeks now, I've decided I don't like it's overly warmness. Well, actually I like the warmth, but not the laid back sound that seems to go with it. I am using the stock phones that came with it, but I don' t find them to be the issue. I guess I'm looking for an IEM/bud that will bring the soundstage more forward, more in the face...

My favorite matchup for home gear is NAD components with PSB/Paradigm speakers(Canadian). The NAD is warm but forward, PSB speakers tend to be bright and a little forward, with a very tight, fast sound. That's what I miss, this sound with more air, brighter, more defined. Some audiphiles may even consider my taste to be a little on the harsh side...

I'm getting a pair of Denon c700's wondering if these will match my wants. All suggestions are much appreciated.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 4
The highs are great with the A818 + C700. I think there are also people out there that uses the A818 + ER4 combo. I'm not experienced with soundstage, so I can't really help you there.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 4
I think you'll love the A818 + C700 combo. It still has the warmth that you love, adss beautiful highs, and brings the vocals right up front. Many people around here love this combo.

Amazon has them on a little sale right now $134.11:

Denon AH-C700

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the input on the c700's. I posted in the portable section and a few people suggested the ER6i's. Wondering if somebody can A and B these two phones. I haven't seen a comparo, just comments on the bass being weak with the ER6i(I'm not a basshead so no biggie) ER6i very detailed and distinct highs and the c700's maybe fuller sounding. I'd trade off the warmth for clarity though, if the ER6i is significantly more detailed, with better clarity than the c700's.

Comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back