Brief Odac impressions
Mar 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,981 of 2,018
  Since I sold my ODAC+O2 already, I'd like to provide some review: This is one of the most soulless sounding DAC/headphone amp ever... I'm surprised people are paying $200+ for it.

Thanks for your informative insight. How could so many people have got it so wrong?

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,985 of 2,018
I have one ODAC in my home speakers setup and one ODAC+O2 in my office workplace to drive many headphones 8, 16, 60, 100, 250 ohms. And I don't know an alternative.

However, only ODAC module costs 100$ assembled. O2 costs only 30$ as DIY parts. And 2..3 hours of soldering.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,986 of 2,018
   This is one of the most soulless sounding DAC/headphone amp ever..

That is exactly why people are buying them for. If they don't have a soul in the first place, then the audio devil's sweet-talk won't work.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,988 of 2,018
Short question...

Has the USB Port of the Microsoft Surface 2 (RT Version, if matters) enough power to "drive" the ODAC (don't want a powered usb hub)?

Thanks!

May 6, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,989 of 2,018
Tip for those who find the ODAC a bit thin in the mids. Don't upsample your ODAC to 24-bit/96Khz on Windows, instead go for 24-bit/44.1Khz if you're listening to CD quality material. Mids gain a hint of warmth and become more liquid, though at the expense of a smaller soundstage. Try it.

May 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,990 of 2,018
  This is one of the most soulless sounding DAC/headphone amp ever... I'm surprised people are paying $200+ for it.

Because that "soul" is usually coloration, like how you can get a Moon or Sun HDAM vs Earth. Imaging is fantastic on that for $200, although it's better heard on a speaker set-up than headphones. From what I remember it was nearly as precise as the Arcam CD72, still relatively "dry" by comparison but the Arcam isn't typically what people refer to as "musical," at least not in the same sense as for example a Rega Apollo (previous gen I listened to at the same time as the CD72 was too dark, Norah Jones sounded like she had a cold) or the really sweet midrange out of a Cayin CD50T or CD17 (CDT23 and the CD100i typically have a more "live" sound - all these tested on speakers with ribbon tweeters and my HD600).

------------

I think one of the problems for some, or at least with how the percussion and bass guitars are presented anyway, is that they are being imaged farther back. Whether speakers or headphones that sounds like they are "weaker," but the perception can be worse on headphones because you don't get a lot of perceptible depth in the soundstage to trade off vs how, in a treated room with a lot of space between the walls and the speakers,  it's a lot easier to hear it coming from farther away. Second is that even if it' a bit "weaker" in terms of dB at the ears, with speakers are moving air as they do and if you're using large towers you can feel the bass drum on your entire body, while a headphone is just outside the ears. Dynamic headphones already aren't flat (not that it's even possible), and typically have a boost in the upper bass; despite that, the perception on most of them is that the bass is weak. In some cases people just aren't aware of the noise floor since they don't hear a distinct sound, but it's still around 30db to 40db, and a lot of that gets in the way of an open headphone's sound; in other cases, it's that lack of a kick in the chest that aids how the bass is perceived.

May 7, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,991 of 2,018
  Short question...

Has the USB Port of the Microsoft Surface 2 (RT Version, if matters) enough power to "drive" the ODAC (don't want a powered usb hub)?

Thanks!

In case anyone is interested in that.
I meanwhile got my ODAC and it perfectly connects my Microsoft Surface 2 (with Windows 8.1 RT) with my O2. No problems here...

May 7, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,992 of 2,018
Hey guys, I've decided to try the ODAC with my Z1 Compact (Lollipop) after acquiring a USB OTG cable. To my disappointment, it didn't work. USB Audio Player claims that it can't read the USB DAC, but the kernel could, however. I tried using a powered hub, still a no-go. I'm almost certain that my phone supports USB audio. Any solutions?

May 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,993 of 2,018
  Hey guys, I've decided to try the ODAC with my Z1 Compact (Lollipop) after acquiring a USB OTG cable. To my disappointment, it didn't work. USB Audio Player claims that it can't read the USB DAC, but the kernel could, however. I tried using a powered hub, still a no-go. I'm almost certain that my phone supports USB audio. Any solutions?

No problem with Z2 (also on Lollipop) and UAPP, HF Player, Walkman app or Neutron. If what you mean by 'kernel' is system sound, I'll guess your smartphone default driver has 'locked' onto ODAC and therefore UAPP is unable to access it. Try going into UAPP, select and deselect 'play through android' and see if it will re-trigger the USB driver. If not, try a restart.

May 7, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,994 of 2,018

No problem with Z2 (also on Lollipop) and UAPP, HF Player, Walkman app or Neutron. If what you mean by 'kernel' is system sound, I'll guess your smartphone default driver has 'locked' onto ODAC and therefore UAPP is unable to access it. Try going into UAPP, select and deselect 'play through android' and see if it will re-trigger the USB driver. If not, try a restart.

Cheers mate! Gonna give it a try. Also gonna try and nuke Viper4Android, maybe that's messing with it.

When I mean 'kernel', UAPP gives me that message. In reality, no sound actually plays.

May 7, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,995 of 2,018
Then make sure you didn't select any odd setting (USB tweak and such). Last but not least, make sure you didn't turn the digital volume all the way down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back