Brief Odac impressions
Sep 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,009 of 2,018
Just got my ODAC with RCA outputs from JDS Labs. Very impressed by the construction and sound so far (clean and clear by all accounts), with no problems from my laptop's USB outputs (2.0 or 3.0).

Right now I have been using just a PA2V2 amp into my modded T50RP's, but am looking to scale up to a desktop amp with preamp functionality. Does anyone know the status the preamp capabilities of the ODA that will be released? 

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,010 of 2,018
Quote:
Just got my ODAC with RCA outputs from JDS Labs. Very impressed by the construction and sound so far (clean and clear by all accounts), with no problems from my laptop's USB outputs (2.0 or 3.0).

Right now I have been using just a PA2V2 amp into my modded T50RP's, but am looking to scale up to a desktop amp with preamp functionality. Does anyone know the status the preamp capabilities of the ODA that will be released? 

Seems like it will likely have a preamp, but I don't think it's been designed yet.  Go bug the guy about it, and maybe it will be more likely to show up.  I think he's on hiatus at the moment though.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #1,011 of 2,018
Cool, I'll probably try to give him a message. I was sort of wondering what was up with him given the last update on his blog about anything was May. Hopefully he's back on the grid soon with some new info,

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,018 of 2,018
I've been enjoying the ODAC a ton. It's my first external dac. But are there any comparable DACs that have the same amount of resolution but are maybe a little less bright? Perhaps its that I'm pairing it with the O2/HD600, but there are times it can all get a little too much for me and I'm not really treble sensitive. I've had the O2 and HD600 with my Ipod classic and not noticed this as much... If that hadn't been the case, I'd consider I need a warmer amp, but I've been happy with the O2 in the past.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,019 of 2,018
Look at this picture really makes me want to buy parts of ODACs and DIY to save some money.

What do I need to order from jdslabs? Look like I will have to order these two things.
First is the board of an ODAC then second is this (a 3.5mm jack for the line output). However I do not understand this line from JDSlabs which is "Solder SMT jumpers J1 and J2 on bottom side of the ODAC. The exposed pads of each SMT jumper should be completely covered to form a single solder joint".

I have an empty metal case of Fiio E10 and I think ODAC can fit that box.

Thanks for reading my problems.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #1,020 of 2,018
LoveKnight,

Yup....order the board and the 3.5mm jack...solder to the board and bridge the items you mention...if not you will get no sound from the jack....

I dont have a picture to show you handy...when you look at the bottom side of the ODAC you will see under the mini jack area some gold lands that are not connected....

They are marked and easy to use a hot iron and flow solder across the small gap...so the DAC output will go to the Jack. Its really easy to do.

You have a case...if it fits and you can make the hole for the cables your all set...

Enjoy..

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back