Brief Comparison: Toxic Cables Silver Poison VS Whiplash Audio TWAg
Aug 28, 2012 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
Introduction:

This is a comparison I know a number of people had wanted to read about.  Since I've had a chance to listen to both, I thought I'd share what I hear.

Now, I probably won't be doing a full write-up, but just cutting to the chase and talking about sound.

In case it's not obvious, the "ag" of TWag is the chemical notation for silver and it's a pure silver cable. The "Silver" in Silver Poison, well, you get the idea, it's also a pure silver cable (although it does have a very small amount of gold as well).

I used the same set-up to listen extensively to both cables: The lovely stage monitor the Future Sonics MG6Pro. Listening via the Heir Audio 6.A, another top-tier custom iem, showed the same sound characteristics for each cable. For amplification, I used the musical and detailed portable amp the TTVJ Slim.

The TWag:

The TWag has what I consider to be a typical silver cable sound. Let's compare first to the stock cable for a custom iem (yes, they may look slightly different, but the stock cables for most custom iem companies from UM to JHA to Westone to Heir Audio to Future Sonics to 1964 Ears, etc. come from the same company). Okay, so against the stock copper cable the first thing I notice is that the TWag sounds noticeably more detailed. I find that silver cables tend to sound more detailed up and down the spectrum compared to stock.

It's also a thinner sound in the midrange and less warm. The bass on the TWag doesn't have that slight mid-bass hump that a person might not have realized that the stock cable has until they had something else to compare it to.  On the other end of the frequency range, the treble is audibly brighter with the TWag.

Now, we have our silver sound in a nutshell: Detailed, thinner, boosted up top and not as robust down below. Let's compare this to the Silver Poison.

The Silver Poison:

My full review of the Silver Poison is here, for anyone interested.

The Silver Poison has a small amount of gold mixed into the silver. Whether this is what gives the Silver Poison it's special sound, or something else, I can't say, but the Silver Poison definitely has a different sound than the TWag.

Actually, let me start with a similarity: They both have excellent detail.

The Silver Poison, however, clearly has more and deeper bass than the TWag. The Silver Poison is like the TWag in that it doesn't have the mid-bass warmth of a copper, but the Silver Poison gives you sub-bass extension and body the TWag doesn't. In this way, the Silver Poison will make a lot of people happy who might otherwise have stayed away from a silver cable. You've both the detail and the bass.

In terms of the mids, the Silver Poison avoids the thinness of the TWag. Everything is clear and detailed, but there's just a touch more fullness to the sound. There's a greater sense of presence to the note and I'd say this is true not just for the mids, but all along the spectrum. I don't want to exaggerate it as this is a subtle effect, but I think it's audible and important as it balances out the silver sound.

For the treble, the TWag is brighter and those who like a bright sound should go with the TWag. The Silver Poison, however, is smoother and again has that little extra fullness. You get a little extra volume in the treble from the TWag, at the cost of a bit of harshness in some recordings. It's bright versus smooth and balanced.

Conclusion:

We've got a different sound for each cable and both are excellent. 

The TWag is a great complement for those who like what silver cables are known for: A bright sound, thin, very detailed and clear. It's for those who want an analytical type of sound.

The Silver Poison is for those who want the clean detail of a silver but want a more balanced sound that gives very nice bass. The little hint of extra richness and smoothness goes very nicely in the treble and midrange for a more musical take on a typical silver cable.

Like I say, both are excellent, but I know which one I reach for.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 12
Nice comparison~ also I found Silver toxic has faster note decay than twag. Twag is a bit more flexible than silver toxic because of the thickness of the cable.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Nice comparison~ also I found Silver toxic has faster note decay than twag. Twag is a bit more flexible than silver toxic because of the thickness of the cable.

Hi tupac, thanks for chiming in. I'll listen for the note decay. While both cables are well burned-in (just in case), the TWag I'm using has months more real-world use. I didn't comment on the flexibility both because of that and because I wanted to focus on the sound. You're right, though, the TWag coils a little more easily than the newer Silver Poison.

Quote:
Hey Kunlun, can you comment on similarities/differences in their ergonomics?  Thanks bud

Hi there. I find they are both very comfortable to wear. The TWag is more limp, which is good, but I've had no problem coiling the Silver Poison. Let me say that in terms of wearing and coiling, the stock cable is going to be better than the thicker TWag and Silver Poison. I'd say personally as someone who uses these cables in a commuting environment, I've had no problems. Actually, the stock cable seems to get more easily caught on things, but that could be random chance.

I have one further note: The sockets of custom iems. The sockets of ciems are actually delicate (several owners of custom iem companies have told me this), so I don't recommend a lot of cable A/B'ing. Get something good and stick with it. I was quite careful, but even so, I won't be doing a lot of cable reviews for this reason.

Also: Don't walk around with your custom iem hanging by the cable, it can slip off if you change cables!

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the comparison, perhaps i'll pick up the silver poison in the not too distant future.

Quote:
Also: Don't walk around with your custom iem hanging by the cable, it can slip off if you change cables!

That happened to my friend, he lost one side of his customs - dropped somewhere in Australia, never got it back :frowning2:

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 12
You should be aware that different setup gives different sound.
You should list the IEM you're using, perhaps it's alrdy bright and linking it to a silver cables will only make it sound harsher 

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
You should be aware that different setup gives different sound.
You should list the IEM you're using, perhaps it's alrdy bright and linking it to a silver cables will only make it sound harsher 

Oh wow, I thought everyone who would be interested in this thread would already know that both the Silver Poison and the TWag are pure silver cables.

I'll add that to the top post, thanks.

Although it seems obvious, I'll also note that I used the same iem and set-up for both, thanks again.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Say Kunlun, you said the silver poisons are relatively warm and fuller compared to the twags. How warm and full are they compared to the stock cables?

Hi there, I'd say they are less warm than stock copper cables, having a more balanced and more detailed sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back