Brief comparison of CD sources, etc.
Jul 24, 2002 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
I first switched from a Marantz CD5000 player, to an Audiophile 2496 card installed in my PC. Sound clarity, instrument resolution, sound fullness, and depth of the sound field improved noticeably. I then upgraded to a Marantz SA8260 SACD player, and the additional improvement was dramatic. I've had this player for only two days, and I've used it with only regular CDs (i.e., no SACDs), but the sound quality in terms of the preceding criteria is amazing. I can't imagine my AKG K1000 headphones sounding any better. The rest of the system includes a ASL AQ-1005DT amp., Creek OBH-10 passive preamp., DiMarzio cables connecting the SA8260 to the Creek, and Creek to the AQ-1005DT, and a 12 inch Klipsch powered subwoofer. I'll add a Stefan AudioArt replacement cable for the K1000, and TJ mesh 300B gold tubes for the AQ-1005DT. This should complete my system.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 4
You went from standalone CDP to a PC soundcard + CDROM drive, and you noticed an improvement?

Maybe there is hope after all!

And you noticed that redbook playback on an SACD player was better? Hmmm! That's throwing convention on its head!
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

And you noticed that redbook playback on an SACD player was better? Hmmm! That's throwing convention on its head!

Now markl is going to storm in here screaming "told ya so! told ya so!"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back