brickwall power conditioner useful for automobile dc->ac power?
Nov 7, 2002 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

freethetree

100+ Head-Fier
I just read the thread on the Brickwall group buy and a bunch of reviews on this thing and it looks like the way to go if some sort of power conditioner is necessary. Is there any chance of needing a surge protector like this if my power source is a 12v dc battery from a car, converted into ac using one of those dc to ac power converter things (not sure what theyre called, my friend had one for his vaporizer, it looked like a little power strip with a male dc plug instead of an ac plug and was made out of aluminum). Or would the battery provide a stable flow of power making a conditioner unnecessary? Or maybe the flow of power would be constant but the cheap ac->dc converter would make dirty power and this thing would be good to have anyway? As you can probably tell I know nothing about this sort of stuff. Thanks for any help.

Nov 9, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 10
Some of the dc to ac converters make a tremendous amount of noise in any audio electronics. A high pitched whine, that is nearly impossible to get rid of. If you can power your system off of the cars dc 12 volts, I think you will have fewer problems.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 10
Id like to but my dac and transport dont run off of DC power. What about a more hardcore filter like a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet? If I had to id spring for a Power Plant (that should definitly work since it regenerates clean power) but those are kinda pricy.

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 10
The Brickwall would be an excellent filter and suppressor, but a bit large and pricey.

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 10
Budgie - So given that my equipment is wired for ac I guess my best options are:

a) Buy a really nice dc inverter (ambulance grade) and a balenced power conditioner. or

b) Buy a normal, cheap plug-in dc inverter and a power regenerator. or even better

c) Buy an industrial type rechargable dc inverter and a power regenerator since the regenerator would be sucking up so much power the car batt would go dead real quick in choice b

?

Are there any solutions im overlooking? Ive been researching this stuff a little but im still not positive on everything.

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 10
(sorry, I lost track of this thread) I think that the best option would be to arrange to try the devices all hooked up in a temporary lash up to see how well it works. But that is a pain in the ass. The inverters made now a days are probably miles ahead of the ones I had exsperience with. I would see if you can get a hold of the least exespensive inverter first, and make sure you have the option of returning it if it is not acceplable. I will dig around and see if I can find any info.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Its no problem, and thanks for the link. Pure sine wave inverter with balenced power conditioner it is!
smily_headphones1.gif
I was thinking I would need a regenerator because all the inverters I saw had the cracked out since waves except for this one expensive looking "ambulance grade" inveter.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Let us know how it turns out. (I get this image of a big rack of electronics crammed into your vehicle!)

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Will do. Im also interested in how its gonna turn out. It could end up being really nice and integrated with a professional installment or it could end up a bunch of metal boxes and 12v batteries duct taped too the floor, lol.

Im gonna furthor investigate that ambulance grade inverter and see how much it costs. If the price is reasonable that looks like it could be the best because it has built in recharging capabilities and cool stuff like hospital grade GFI protected outlets, output frequency control and coated circuit boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back