Breaking-in headphones, the final verdict!
Apr 3, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #331 of 685
That is some funky ****!

it's like a sleep mode for depression. when it reaches peak speed, it's just barely turning into The Cure at slow speed.

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #333 of 685
Contradiction in terms? Uncolored DACs should sound the same, shouldn't they? The coloration is what would make them sound different!

Speakers would be more easily calibrated with EQ. I have trouble finding a good EQ app for my mobile devices
big.snot.i mean.shot.png

UAPP

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #337 of 685
everybody should do whatever he wants with his property. even if I said the opposite, it's not like I can stop you from deep frying your headphones if that's you're style. we're not here to tell people what to do. at best we try to find out if there is a reason behind what they do.

"when you believe in things, that you don't understand, then you suffer. superstition ain't the way. "
tumblr_on3pitShzX1um2igbo2_r1_540.gif

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #338 of 685
It is not going to do any harm if the level is at comfortable listening level. If anything does break then you found a fault that would have happened soon anyway, and you can get them back within any return period.

It will also reassure you that you are hearing them run-in if that exists (hint: it does) and you can judge if you want to keep them within the return period.

So everyone is happy, except some here on sound science (otherwise know as the denied theory team) :wink:

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #339 of 685
Well, anyway, thanks to this thread I'm going to make the effort to get 100 hours of pink noise through my headphones in the future.

I've read that burn in only works if you are wearing the headphones during the pink noise. Something about the open ear cups not doing the job... The shape of your ear canals affect the burn in and customize it for your head. Also you need to turn the volume up to 80dB. Go for it!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #340 of 685
indeed I'm not a big fan of that general line of thought. I don't carry a rabbit foot, don't buy lottery tickets and don't use homeopathic sugar pills. just because it's cheap and doesn't have much of a side effects isn't to me a valid justification to go for it. (well homeopathy should maybe not be in here because many take it instead of the proper drug, which might not be side effect free).

TBH doing it to get rapidly past the "infancy death period" for a given product, that sounds to me like a very valid reason. it's probably the best reason I've ever seen written in a burn in topic. except I don't have the nice hyperbolic curve from manufacturer's data about my headphone showing how after X hours of use the risk of it breaking goes down by 20%. so we're kind of back to the perfectly legitimate point applied by random guessing. for my new headphone, should I stop at 2hours? 50hours? 300hours? 2000? no idea. I could play music for an insignificant amount of time relatively to the statistic point where I can expect minimum issues, or I could be long into stability hours and basically be aging my headphone for no reason. it's the same issue as burn in, with proper data for a given headphone, of course I'd be with you. because we make a model based on reliable data and when that model is showed to work well enough, we use it to predict a behavior and make the best of it. very rational, very effective. Science!
but random rituals at random loudness with random signal for a random amount of time based on a guess, with no clue about the actual consequences... why? and then that weird arbitrary ritual somehow becomes the reference of what to do to all new headphones and maybe all new gears. at least that's how it looks when I read burn in propaganda. all that ultimately determined how? not through measurements, no, that's no fun at all. instead some dudes thought real hard about the problem at hand and went "hey let's trust our memory over anything else, because memory has never let anybody down in the history of mankind!!!". yeahhh!

the amount of fallacy and malpractice needed to arrive to some audiophile claims about burn in and burn in methods is just staggering. I can't. not with the amount of data we have(pretty much nothing).
but as I said, my issue is about making empty claims and all the people who think there is nothing wrong with that. I have no issue with people burning in their gears using whatever method they like. if it makes them happier, it's a job well done.

I've read that burn in only works if you are wearing the headphones during the pink noise. Something about the open ear cups not doing the job... The shape of your ear canals affect the burn in and customize it for your head. Also you need to turn the volume up to 80dB. Go for it!
the sad thing is that your argument is just as legitimate as any other. but pink noise is too boring, it will make your headphone boring too. I suggest square waves then sine sweeps(that way the driver learn to make all sounds at once and also one clear tone at a time. accurate, and versatile!). and as we keep it on our head while burning in the headphone, as Samuel L Jackson said in Loaded Weapon, if it's tingling, "that means it's working!"

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #341 of 685

80dB at 100 hours is possible permanent hearing damage. I know you don't like some of these opinions but there's no need for retaliation! Naughty.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #343 of 685
80dB at 100 hours is possible permanent hearing damage.

Not if you do it five minutes a day for 3 1/2 years!

(The extra half a year is just to be on the safe side!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back