Break-in for maxed out home
May 11, 2002 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my maxed out home. Great service from Headroom! How long does breakin take as it sounds a bit dry. Problem is that the interconnjects are also breaking in (MIT) which takes a LONG time. Any ideas about how long breakin of the maxed sounds.

Jay

May 11, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 13
I'll take them off your hands and break 'em in for ya
smily_headphones1.gif
but seriously, just keep sound running through everything and wait 'till it sounds good to you... that's how long it will take.

May 11, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 13
Dry? I didn't think the MOH (or the Cosmic) ever sounded dry.
confused.gif

(But to be fair these were very well used demos that I heard.)
Is this true regardless of the different switch settings and with crossfeed on or off?
What kind of MITs do you have.
Do you have other cables you can try?
(its hard to evaluate one component when you may have several that are new.)
What's your source?

May 11, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks Bootman:

Headphones are Grado RS-1's

As things break in, the sources are a Linn Pekin tuner or Linn Ikemi CDP. MIT cables are impedance matched, based on the input impedance of the equipment the signal is going to. The cable is a low-impedance variety and MIT has advices a high impedence variety for this headphone amp. (I spoke to MIT Over the phone). Additionaly MIT cables take a long time to break in and they are NEW. I am using the MIT shotgun (low impedance) as an interim until my high impedence cable arrives on tuesday.

I connected the unit as it came out of the box without any thought to the switch settings. Should the brightness filter be engaged even if the processor is not engaged.

Thanks a lot. Any further suggestions?

Jay

May 11, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

I connected the unit as it came out of the box without any thought to the switch settings. Should the brightness filter be engaged even if the processor is not engaged.

Not normally. The brightness filter is designed to compensate for treble loss in the crossfeed process. Then, filter on usually works best, but not always. Depends on the recording, and other equipment. Choose what sounds best for each record.

May 11, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 13
When I had the Max in seemed to "open up" after a couple of days. I have not noticed this with the Cosimic. It was a demo though.

May 11, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 13
[size=xx-small]taken from dictionary.com[/size]
break in
1. To train or adapt for a purpose.
2. To loosen or soften with use: break in new shoes.
3. To enter premises forcibly or illegally: a prowler who was trying to break in.

a. To interrupt a conversation or discussion.
b. To intrude.
5. To begin an activity or undertaking: The Senator broke in during the war years.

In other words, your brand new undies are more comfortable after you wash it a few times...

For all other "burn in/break in" questions, search!

May 12, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 13
Humm. It just might be the cables.
Never underestimate the importance of system synergy.
While the MITs are mighty fine cables, it may just be that they might not be the ideal match for your particular system.
Lynn has a reputation of sounding on the warm side.
(well all British systems seem to have this rep)
Do you find this to be the case?
Try listening with the crossfeed engaged and see if the sound is any better.

May 12, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 13
I am using Spectral pre-amp and amp which require MIT cable. I am beginning to feel that it is far too early to tell. The MOH only has about 7-9 hours of use so far. The MIT interconnect going from the tape-out to the MOH is not the optimal impedance match and more importantly, It only has 9 ours of play on it. MIT suggests a minimum of 100 hours of break-in time for serious listening with 2 weeks to achieve full break in. Its soooo hard to be patient.

Jay

May 12, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 13
I recently sold my old MOH (the orginial model) and bought a new MOH ref, with the two inputs. I was on my way to work when it came in the mail so I could only hear it for five minutes the first time around. My first reaction was I had made a mistake. My old MOH sounded warmer and more musical. I left the new MOH on for a day before going back to it. Happy to report that one day was all it took for my MOH ref to break in. In comparison with the old MOH the new ref. model is ever so slightly more revealing. Having more flexibility in adjusting the sound of each CD is a plus. What I needed and was looking for were those two inputs rather then better sound. For those people who may be thinking of upgrading their MOH to a newer model, try out the newer MOH before selling your old one. You may decide that a headphone or source upgrade is better vaule for the dollar.

May 12, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 13
I also have the original MOH, so this is valuable information. I understand that the new one is better now but it may burn-in more, 50 or 100 hours are not unusual for full burn-in. It becomes increasingly difficult to hear differences, so this is rather floating.
If you just had the MOH on, it seems more like warming up than burn-in. For a basic burn-in you need to play it for 24 hours. When I received my MOH five years ago, I was not attentive to the burn-in process, so I have no idea of how long time it took.
There is a reason why it is important to consider burn-in. If you borrow a product or buy it with a return option and test it: the result may be misleading, leading to a wrong decision, if you dont know the state of burn-in. For example: borrow two cables from a shop where one is well burnt in and the other new. The new one has to be much better to sound better from the beginning, and may even sound worse.
Of course it is easy to make mistakes in these auditions because your own mood changes and one may be affected by expectations. A few times I have been so critical of myself that auditioning became impossible. I heard a difference but it may only be my expectation? You try again and again, becomes anxious and tired and looses your sensibility. Now, it is time to turn off the system and return some other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back