Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Sep 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #1,156 of 2,720
@judge, if you're ever around where I live I'll buy you as much beer as you can drink that night. I owe you a few as well
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #1,157 of 2,720

Mine definately did not sound compressed out of the box, quite the opposite it sounded very dynamic (actually frequency response wise it sounds fine to me though its supposed to be limited in the highs, which I don't really like too much highs anyways - maybe you need some brighter phones).  And as the tube started to break-in the sound became much smoother.  Compared to the output from a receiver, quite a big difference.  The source could be the problem.

Quote:
After spending about a day listening though the stock bravo v2, i'm not particularly impressed with the sound. Granted i'm using a pathetic old clip+ as my source and phones that do not really need amplification, but the bravo seems to worsen the sound by make the frequency response more compressed. The lows and highs seem to roll off very early, compared to when unamped. So this resulted in cellos starting to sound like violins
eek.gif
. Also, the bravo is probably not very usable with iems since they hiss pretty badly when plugged into it. The only improvement that i noticed was a slight increase in soundstage especially when listening at lower volumes, but not exactly by a lot.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #1,158 of 2,720

Quote:
@judge, if you're ever around where I live I'll buy you as much beer as you can drink that night. I owe you a few as well
wink.gif

If I ever get back that way, I'll definitely take you up on that... but you owe me nothing. I got a better idea: lets go to Amsterdam and I'll get a prescription for my "glaucoma" and we'll drink until the dykes collapse... and the dams burst, too.

Oh yeah, I drink German lagers, when I drink beer. The best I can normally get are St. Pauli Girls and Becks. One day, you and I will discuss the availability of Hacker-Pschorr... I made it to Oktoberfest (Munich) in 1979 and 1980 and I haven't drank much American beer (except Sam Adams) since.

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #1,160 of 2,720

Quote:
The best I can normally get are St. Pauli Girls and Becks. One day, you and I will discuss the availability of Hacker-Pschorr... I made it to Oktoberfest (Munich) in 1979 and 1980 and I haven't drank much American beer (except Sam Adams) since.

If that's the best you can get I definately need to send you some real (Belgian) beer
biggrin.gif

@Pocketrocket: Did you snipe it? For how much did you get if if I may aks?

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,162 of 2,720
My Power supply Died in a Storm a while back. What kind of power supply am I looking for to replace it? I know the stock one is supposed to suck. 24V 1-2A? Switching or not? Any links to tried and true ones? 

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #1,163 of 2,720

Quote:
If I ever get back that way, I'll definitely take you up on that... but you owe me nothing. I got a better idea: lets go to Amsterdam and I'll get a prescription for my "glaucoma" and we'll drink until the dykes collapse... and the dams burst, too.

Oh yeah, I drink German lagers, when I drink beer. The best I can normally get are St. Pauli Girls and Becks. One day, you and I will discuss the availability of Hacker-Pschorr... I made it to Oktoberfest (Munich) in 1979 and 1980 and I haven't drank much American beer (except Sam Adams) since.

You were kind enough to help me out too, so I'll chip in and get you all the glaucoma medicine you need if you come this way
blink.gif
. Amsterdam mini-meet!

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #1,164 of 2,720

Quote:
You can't just cut a lead on the tube led. You must short it.

I found a pdf doc from a Rockgrotto forum guy, there's a schematic, it shows LED+resistor are shorted yet in the Indeed amp.

Edit: my G2 was 76$ shipping inc.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #1,165 of 2,720

Quote:
If that's the best you can get I definately need to send you some real (Belgian) beer
biggrin.gif

I'm more into german beer, but I wouldn't say no for some Chimay, Leffe or Gueuze.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #1,166 of 2,720
After another day of listening through the bravo v2, I seem to be gradually enjoying it more.
Its merits are most obvious when listening at low volumes. I no longer need to turn up to the volume higher to hear the details and open up the dynamic range and soundstage, which is great since i'm always trying to keep the volume as low as possible for the safety of my ears.

The "compressed frequency" still seems to be present though. Its kind of like the ends of the frequencies are gradually rounded off, and strangely, more so in the low end. Some stuff sound brighter than they should be (which is weird since i thought tubes usually add warmth), but theres not exactly a lot of sparkle either. Somehow i have a feeling its better than yesterday though. Maybe burn in happened (to the unit or my brain).
I have a this will probably change for the better when i stick a better tube in though.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,167 of 2,720

Quote:
After another day of listening through the bravo v2, I seem to be gradually enjoying it more.
Its merits are most obvious when listening at low volumes. I no longer need to turn up to the volume higher to hear the details and open up the dynamic range and soundstage, which is great since i'm always trying to keep the volume as low as possible for the safety of my ears.

The "compressed frequency" still seems to be present though. Its kind of like the ends of the frequencies are gradually rounded off, and strangely, more so in the low end. Some stuff sound brighter than they should be (which is weird since i thought tubes usually add warmth), but theres not exactly a lot of sparkle either. Somehow i have a feeling its better than yesterday though. Maybe burn in happened (to the unit or my brain).
I have a this will probably change for the better when i stick a better tube in though.

Get an RCA cleartop pulled from a conn and I'm sure you'll find the warmth :)
Like this one: http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/1-Tube-12AU7A-ECC82-CONN-RCA-Clear-Top-Tested-/160485871660?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item255db4102c

But for that one emissions are a bit off. Good ebay seller though

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #1,168 of 2,720
Hmm i thought cleartops are supposed to be bright? Their name seems to suggest so
beyersmile.png
(edit: ok i realized how stupid that was)
I did some reading at audiotubes.com and figured the mullards are supposed to be the warm ones.
I won some RCA long grey plates on ebay for a couple of bucks a couple of days ago. But since they're shipped internationally I won't be expecting them too soon.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #1,169 of 2,720
hey bravo owners,

im thinking of replacing the power switch on the bravo V2. what should i be looking at for a toggle switch? any miniature pcb toggle switch would do just fine?

any suggestions?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back