Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Nov 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #6,496 of 6,668
  Hi All

I've been reading this thread over the last few days (took a while even though i started around page 200....) and have also looked in the portable headphones thread - i was wondering if you could provide me with some guidance. i hope this thread is still active....

i have an Ak100MkII that i use with sennheiser momentum 2.0. i want to use the balanced output on my AK to drive the M2s or something similar (closed), without requiring an additional amp.

i am thinking of the following options and would really appreciate any comments/observations/corrections (please forgive my technical ignorance):

1. silver dragon cable replacement for the M2s. Would this be a truly balanced sound, as the cable only attaches to one ear? To be honest i may do this anyway as i find the cable on the M2 really annoying.
2. getting the AKT5Ps. i understand these used to be £1k+, and are now available on amazon for £600. i know some people use these and seem pleased with them.
3. possibly getting the T5P Second Gen - i've not seen reviews of these on here, they are ~£150 more than the AKT5Ps and obviously aren't tuned specifically for AK DAPs, whatever benefit this actually brings. does anyone have any experience of them, specifically in comparison with the AK5TPs?

Guidance/thoughts much appreciated - thanks!

If you have a chance to try the Meze 99 Classics at 309 USD they are fantastic and don't need an amp.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #6,497 of 6,668
The Momentum 2.0 cannot use the balanced output of the AK. Not without taking them apart and rewiring the jack.

I looked into this myself when I first got the M2. It uses a 2.5mm TRS connection. That's singled-ended. You would need to remove the connection and wire straight into the drivers to get Balanced.

In the end it felt like too much work and I didn't bother.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #6,498 of 6,668
thanks pinky that's really helpful.

the silver dragon appears to come with some kind of special connection - would that overcome this problem? if not as i said i may still swap the cable anyway....

doraymon - the meze do look good, thanks.

i might plump for the AK5TP.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #6,499 of 6,668
thanks pinky that's really helpful.

the silver dragon appears to come with some kind of special connection - would that overcome this problem? if not as i said i may still swap the cable anyway....

doraymon - the meze do look good, thanks.

i might plump for the AK5TP.

No, the issue lies with the connector built into the headphone.

You may wish to look into the Meze 99 Classic, or the Oppo PM-3. These can take a balanced cable.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #6,500 of 6,668
thanks pinky - do you happen to know whether the meze come with a balanced cable, or would it have to be upgraded? i've had a look on their website and others, and it isn't clear to me. thanks. they do look good though.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #6,501 of 6,668
Neither the Oppo nor the Meze come with balanced cables.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #6,502 of 6,668
Neither the Oppo nor the Meze come with balanced cables.

True.
I dropped an email to Meze some time ago on this, it seems they have no intention to offer one in the near future.
But they did offer to sell the 3.5mm connectors in case I wanted to have a balanced cable made.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #6,503 of 6,668
Hey, I'm having a little problem, thought if anyone's had the same. I have to manually switch on line out from the ak 100ii-s volume control screen every time the unit reboots. I'm feeding a cayin c5 through it's line out and this is becoming very annoying indeed. The unit doesn't seem to remember to stay in line out (max) volume.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #6,504 of 6,668
Hey, I'm having a little problem, thought if anyone's had the same. I have to manually switch on line out from the ak 100ii-s volume control screen every time the unit reboots. I'm feeding a cayin c5 through it's line out and this is becoming very annoying indeed. The unit doesn't seem to remember to stay in line out (max) volume.

I have the same with my 120II
It's designed to be like that, to prevent blowing your ears and/or your Iems in case you decide to connect them straight to the Mojo
That's why when you select line out mode there is a pop up menu asking confirmation

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #6,505 of 6,668
I entered the head-fi world about 2 years ago, when I purchased the AK100 II and HD 650. I've been enjoying the pair very much (mostly solo piano classical, but some other classical, jazz, and other forms of popular music).

The simplicity and portability of this setup has been nice, but I'm considering whether to branch out, in order to enjoy new listening experiences. More specifically, I'm looking into a desktop amp and dac. I assume there's some AK owners who dabble in such things? I'd love to get input from those with direct experience of what I'm talking about. I hope it's ok that I'm therefore asking this in this thread.

Most of my initial uncertainty is around how far up the cost ladder I need to climb to notice a significant improvement over my current setup. My understanding is the HD 650s scale well.

For sake of simplicity, supposing I'm focused on the Schiit options, how far up the scale do you guys think I need to go? Am I going to notice a difference at, say, the Valhalla 2 / Bifrost level? Do I need to go all the way up to Mjolnir 2 / Gungnir level? Or maybe even the "lowly" Magni 2 / Modi 2 is a big upgrade?

I'm using Schiit for example purposes, because I've read lots of good reviews and get the sense that they are good value for price, but I'm open to most anything you have to say to someone in my position.

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #6,506 of 6,668
You will notice the difference even on the the Magni/Modi. But if you want a good, solid place to settle for a while, the Bifrost / JOTUNHEIM is where I'd recommend.

Actually, I would suggest going Tube Amp for a truly new and different experience you never got on the AK. Maybe the Lyr 2, or the Bottlehead Crack.

If you really don't mind spending a small fortune, then go all the way up. But you don't "need" to. :wink:

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #6,507 of 6,668
the Bifrost / JOTUNHEIM is where I'd recommend.

Thanks for jumping in ... any particular easy to explain reason you'd go for this pair? I haven't read as much about the JOTUNHEIM, beyond the FAQ on the Schiit site.

Quote:
I would suggest going Tube Amp for a truly new and different experience you never got on the AK. Maybe the Lyr 2, or the Bottlehead Crack.

I'm definitely intrigued by the tube route. A lot of folks seem to like the Valhalla 2 with the HD 650s. Do you have a reason to prefer the Lyr 2? Regarding the Bottlehead, without knowing a ton about it, I have a casual fear of kits. I'm not much of a builder.

Quote:
If you really don't mind spending a small fortune, then go all the way up. But you don't "need" to. 
wink.gif

I'm certainly not looking for reasons to spend an excessive amount ... I just don't want to bother with a "minor" upgrade. I want to feel like the purchase has a point. Thanks for your thoughts!

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #6,508 of 6,668
The Jotunheim is Schiit's newest product, and it's their most affordable BALANCED Amp. This is why I'd recommend it over the Valh2. It gives you a chance to buy some balanced cables and experience the HD650 like never before.

I only suggested the Lyr2 because it is a tube amp. But honestly, the Jotun is quite likely the better choice at this stage.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #6,509 of 6,668
  Same here. I just bought an used one and have been astounded at the amount of detail this thing output. Depending on the pairing, it can get a bit dry and clinical or just pure magic. I've never heard my JH13 sound this good.

UI is an absolute step up from the original AK100. Faster, more fluid with bigger screen and everything looks a lot more neat.

I know that this might have been raved about many times before, but is there much of a difference between the SE and balanced outs? Honestly the reason why I went with the 120ii instead of the 100ii is because of the balanced out, and if there is and audible and appreciable improvement, then that makes it all the more worth it.

100ii has a balanced output and I'm using it a lot. :)

Is the 120ii still worth it?  I am looking for a dap to use with my iem's, that has great SQ and can do Tidal (I know the 120ii can't, but supposedly will be able to in the future).  I am looking at AR-M2, Onkyo DP-X1, iBasso DX200 (when it is released) and others.  I am rereading this thread to get an idea of this dap.  Any input, recommendations, impressions and thoughts greatly appreciated.

100ii got a firmware update a week or so ago. and it included tidal. but it doesn't have offline mode. the tidal response is that the offline mode works only on full tidal apps on plain android OS and not on customized Android like AK uses.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #6,510 of 6,668
  Hi guys, can someone please provide a brief run down on AK100II's overall voicing and tonality.

Does it lean on being a bright lean player or warmer and smooth?

There is one floating around I'm considering purchasing.

Warmer and smooth is what my ears tell me. It is definitely not bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back