Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 29, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #6,484 of 6,668
Hi guys, can someone please provide a brief run down on AK100II's overall voicing and tonality.

Does it lean on being a bright lean player or warmer and smooth?

There is one floating around I'm considering purchasing.

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #6,485 of 6,668
Hi guys, can someone please provide a brief run down on AK100II's overall voicing and tonality.

Does it lean on being a bright lean player or warmer and smooth?

There is one floating around I'm considering purchasing.

I know you're not asking about the AK120ii, but since that's the one I have, maybe it will help.

The sound is neutral-warm. Warmer than the FiiO X7, but more neutral than the X5 Classic. Truly great soundstage. Smooth, without a hint of harshness of digititis. Good details, but they aren't the showcase here. They're present, but in a non-forced way. It has a rich, full presentation, with depth and layering for days.

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #6,486 of 6,668
I know you're not asking about the AK120ii, but since that's the one I have, maybe it will help.

The sound is neutral-warm. Warmer than the FiiO X7, but more neutral than the X5 Classic. Truly great soundstage. Smooth, without a hint of harshness of digititis. Good details, but they aren't the showcase here. They're present, but in a non-forced way. It has a rich, full presentation, with depth and layering for days.

Thank you for your comment.

You nearly described my AK300 right there, many resemblances from my experience.  I really need a brighter source, something that glares a little vibrancy around the mid-range, Sabre DAC implementations seem to work well. The Ref.1 I will use can be a little deep or warm in the mids. I will go ahead and read up on AK100II reviews from here.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #6,487 of 6,668
The Queststyle QP1 and QP1R have been described as bright-sounding.

I found the X7 ALMOST bright. It's so neutral it borders on it.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #6,488 of 6,668
Cayin N6 is truly bright.  Check out my review of it- I found it crystalline and way too bright for my iems.  It would be nice to find a DAP with the warmth of the AK and the upper end of the Cayin.  

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #6,489 of 6,668
I opted out on the AK100II for the time being, not because I think its bad, I would have loved to try it. Just I found a DX90 basically 75% cheaper, saving money wins my mental stability over buy/try something upwards of $500 AUD without audition.  I won't deny I'm still curious and may return.... one day.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #6,490 of 6,668
there's new updates fw for AK240, 120ii, 100ii
TIDAL and new GUI.
finally! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #6,491 of 6,668
Hi all,

Since a few weeks I am the proud owner of a AK120ii. Great stuff.
I also have a Qobuz account and I can login and download my bought albums in HD which is great.

I do experience a biggish problem using Qobuz though.
I seem not to be able to open any suggested album to see or play its tracks.
Nor can I search Qobuz for any albums.
I cannot find any posts on this bug so I am really wondering.

Is this a "known feature" or is this something which I alone experience?

Thanks in advance, Jeroen

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #6,492 of 6,668
Hi all,

Since a few weeks I am the proud owner of a AK120ii. Great stuff.
I also have a Qobuz account and I can login and download my bought albums in HD which is great.

I do experience a biggish problem using Qobuz though.
I seem not to be able to open any suggested album to see or play its tracks.
Nor can I search Qobuz for any albums.
I cannot find any posts on this bug so I am really wondering.

Is this a "known feature" or is this something which I alone experience?

Thanks in advance, Jeroen

I have no experience with qobuz but I just downloaded tidal for AK120 II and it works perfectly !

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #6,494 of 6,668
Hi,

I have an issue with my ape-files

I've seen other people signalling a similar problem (not mentioning it has to deal with ape-files) as well, but with no solution yet.
On a few of my albums, part of a multi-CD set, the sorting order is wrong on my AK120ii.

Symptoms:
- sorting is done on track number only, ignoring the disk number (so D1-T1, D2-T1, D1-T2, D2-T2, ...)
- the album name is not showing as well, nor in the album list, nor when i press the I for information when playing a track. Instead it shows the album artist.
- it happens with ape-files, not on my other file types as far as I have noticed

I checked the following:
- disk number is filled with the correct disk number
- Album name is correct
- When I save in one ID-tag editor, in another ID-tag editor I can read both album names and disk numbers and all is correct.

It looks like the AK120ii does not read the ID-tag correctly.

Anyone recognizing this problem and how do you deal with it?

Tx, KR, Jeroen

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #6,495 of 6,668
Hi All

I've been reading this thread over the last few days (took a while even though i started around page 200....) and have also looked in the portable headphones thread - i was wondering if you could provide me with some guidance. i hope this thread is still active....

i have an Ak100MkII that i use with sennheiser momentum 2.0. i want to use the balanced output on my AK to drive the M2s or something similar (closed), without requiring an additional amp.

i am thinking of the following options and would really appreciate any comments/observations/corrections (please forgive my technical ignorance):

1. silver dragon cable replacement for the M2s. Would this be a truly balanced sound, as the cable only attaches to one ear? To be honest i may do this anyway as i find the cable on the M2 really annoying.
2. getting the AKT5Ps. i understand these used to be £1k+, and are now available on amazon for £600. i know some people use these and seem pleased with them.
3. possibly getting the T5P Second Gen - i've not seen reviews of these on here, they are ~£150 more than the AKT5Ps and obviously aren't tuned specifically for AK DAPs, whatever benefit this actually brings. does anyone have any experience of them, specifically in comparison with the AK5TPs?

Guidance/thoughts much appreciated - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back