Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Sep 4, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #6,468 of 6,668
I'm thinking of picking up a used one but I have one question. The current AK website says this has MQS streaming but it did not mention AK Connect. Does any owner know if this has AKC? Thanks in advance.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #6,469 of 6,668
I'm thinking of picking up a used one but I have one question. The current AK website says this has MQS streaming but it did not mention AK Connect. Does any owner know if this has AKC? Thanks in advance.

AK Connect works very well with these models.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #6,471 of 6,668
  I think I've spent extra on a Moon Audio toslink cable for the AK100ii to the Mojo for no good reason then; seeing as the Micro USB to Micro USB OTG cable will work with the new firmware :|

I read that Chord considers the optical out to be the better digital out of the MoJo.  Don't think you wasted your money on the Moon-Audio optical cord - I have one too!

CJ

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #6,473 of 6,668
Bought my AK120ii used and the battery needs to be charged a lot. It's liveable but I'm worried it might get terrible in a year or so. I love this device and I don't think I will upgrade it at any point, I've spent too much money on this hobby for a few years. Astell & Kern customer service especially in the UK has been difficult to communicate with.

I know the battery isn't user replicable but would you trust a local electronics shop to replace it if I could buy a battery?

I don't think sound quality will be improved much in the years to come and the U.I & build quality is hard to beat. In a idle world I want to keep my current set up for many years lol.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #6,474 of 6,668
Bought my AK120ii used and the battery needs to be charged a lot. It's liveable but I'm worried it might get terrible in a year or so. I love this device and I don't think I will upgrade it at any point, I've spent too much money on this hobby for a few years. Astell & Kern customer service especially in the UK has been difficult to communicate with.

I know the battery isn't user replicable but would you trust a local electronics shop to replace it if I could buy a battery?

I don't think sound quality will be improved much in the years to come and the U.I & build quality is hard to beat. In a idle world I want to keep my current set up for many years lol.

Same here. I just bought an used one and have been astounded at the amount of detail this thing output. Depending on the pairing, it can get a bit dry and clinical or just pure magic. I've never heard my JH13 sound this good.

UI is an absolute step up from the original AK100. Faster, more fluid with bigger screen and everything looks a lot more neat.

I know that this might have been raved about many times before, but is there much of a difference between the SE and balanced outs? Honestly the reason why I went with the 120ii instead of the 100ii is because of the balanced out, and if there is and audible and appreciable improvement, then that makes it all the more worth it.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #6,475 of 6,668
Only one way to know for sure. :wink:

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #6,476 of 6,668
Only one way to know for sure.
wink.gif

Dang, so there's no avoiding that route huh? I can hear my wallet writhing in pain you know :wink:

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #6,477 of 6,668

AK replaced my 120ii`s battery under warranty so it is technically possible.  The back panel pops off easily too - I have seen a few torn down.  I`m planning to keep my 120ii going as long as possible, and if/when the battery dies I plan to take it to a smart phone repair shop and have the battery replaced.  I had my iphone rebuilt  a few years ago and the guy tore it apart in front of me and then reassembled it; I think the 120ii would be less complex for someone who knows what their doing and has the tools.  

Same here. I just bought an used one and have been astounded at the amount of detail this thing output. Depending on the pairing, it can get a bit dry and clinical or just pure magic. I've never heard my JH13 sound this good.

UI is an absolute step up from the original AK100. Faster, more fluid with bigger screen and everything looks a lot more neat.

I know that this might have been raved about many times before, but is there much of a difference between the SE and balanced outs? Honestly the reason why I went with the 120ii instead of the 100ii is because of the balanced out, and if there is and audible and appreciable improvement, then that makes it all the more worth it.

The increased power out of the 2.5mm socket of the 120ii will definitely impact the sound.  Also, never discount the power of placebo !  

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #6,479 of 6,668
Is the 120ii still worth it?  I am looking for a dap to use with my iem's, that has great SQ and can do Tidal (I know the 120ii can't, but supposedly will be able to in the future).  I am looking at AR-M2, Onkyo DP-X1, iBasso DX200 (when it is released) and others.  I am rereading this thread to get an idea of this dap.  Any input, recommendations, impressions and thoughts greatly appreciated.

Oct 15, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #6,480 of 6,668
Is the 120ii still worth it?  I am looking for a dap to use with my iem's, that has great SQ and can do Tidal (I know the 120ii can't, but supposedly will be able to in the future).  I am looking at AR-M2, Onkyo DP-X1, iBasso DX200 (when it is released) and others.  I am rereading this thread to get an idea of this dap.  Any input, recommendations, impressions and thoughts greatly appreciated.

My recommendation is to hear by yourself if you have the chance to.
The AK120II is stellar to my ears, almost as refined and transparent as the Hugo. Almost.
We're talking very high level, at list in my experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back