Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #6,451 of 6,668

I'm not sure what you mean by successors then, IMO it's clear that the 300 series DAP's are AK's next step in advancing the product line, and I don't see any reason they would go back to the older formfactor of the AK100ii and AK120ii.  The AK70 has the same DAC chip as the AK100ii so it's essentially the "budget" version with a smaller feature set.

I should also mention that I have a 120ii which I am extremely happy with, and IMO the newer models don't give me any reason to upgrade.

Based on what little I know about USB-C, I don't see any advantage whatsoever for dedicated audio gear.  It's designed for smartphones and computers, to allow pushing the DAC off the device and into the earphones, which makes some sense for a smartphone since that would free up considerable internal space and reduce some signal interference between all the various functions of the device.  DAP's are of course all about the audio already and don't have the problems USB-C "solves".  I don't see DAC's being integrated into high-end phones or buds either so there's really no reason for it with high-end audio gear, all it will do is force you to use an adapter.

i thought faster data transfer and charging speeds were huge advantages. so imho there's no reason to *not* include usb-c. but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Yeah that would make it an improvement over the existing micro USB connector for charging and data transfer, but the way it's being touted is mostly as a way to remove the 3.5mm audio jack on phones, and that's what I was thinking of.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #6,452 of 6,668
  Yeah that would make it an improvement over the existing micro USB connector for charging and data transfer, but the way it's being touted is mostly as a way to remove the 3.5mm audio jack on phones, and that's what I was thinking of.

oh, no, that's not what i meant. removing the audio jack is just stupid. that's why i'll keep my old iphone 5 and buy a dap.

so back to topic: since the ak100ii (549 euros) is cheaper than the newer ak70 (649 euros), i can go for the older ak100ii without hesitation, right? unfortunately the cayin i5 seems to be the only dap on the market which has usb-c but this one seems to be far less mature than the ak100ii... decisions, decisions...

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #6,453 of 6,668

oh, no, that's not what i meant. removing the audio jack is just stupid. that's why i'll keep my old iphone 5 and buy a dap.

so back to topic: since the ak100ii (549 euros) is cheaper than the newer ak70 (649 euros), i can go for the older ak100ii without hesitation, right? unfortunately the cayin i5 seems to be the only dap on the market which has usb-c but this one seems to be far less mature than the ak100ii... decisions, decisions...

That sounds like a great price on the ak100ii, but very high for the ak70, compared with US prices.  I've never used the AK70 so I can't really say what the differences are.  The specs seem quite similar for those two models though.  AK70 does not include a case unless I'm mistaken, but it's a little smaller and lighter.  

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #6,454 of 6,668

I had the oportunity of auditioning both AK70, I5 and previous owner of an AK100ii. IMO, forget about USB-C for now, if that's a determining factor for you, then no need for the AKs.

In terms or physical aspects, the 70 is the clear winner - smaller and far lighter that the 2.

Are you getting a dap just for transport? Will you be using USB out? If you want it now, then the 70 has the edge. Future updates will enable the 100ii to have this feature too. Not sure on the I5 though

UI, hands down AK players. The I5 has a lot of catching up to do. But I5 has full blown android - will you use it for spotify? If it's a must - then hands down I5

SQ, i'll give thep I5 the edge, folllowed by the 70 and 100ii. The I5 has better imaging, much fuller sound than the AKs. At this time, the 100ii is far too overpriced and was already surpassed by other cheaper daps.

If i where you, i'd spend the extra to get the better options - 70 and I5

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #6,456 of 6,668
I had the oportunity of auditioning both AK70, I5 and previous owner of an AK100ii. IMO, forget about USB-C for now, if that's a determining factor for you, then no need for the AKs.

In terms or physical aspects, the 70 is the clear winner - smaller and far lighter that the 2.

Are you getting a dap just for transport? Will you be using USB out? If you want it now, then the 70 has the edge. Future updates will enable the 100ii to have this feature too. Not sure on the I5 though

UI, hands down AK players. The I5 has a lot of catching up to do. But I5 has full blown android - will you use it for spotify? If it's a must - then hands down I5

SQ, i'll give thep I5 the edge, folllowed by the 70 and 100ii. The I5 has better imaging, much fuller sound than the AKs. At this time, the 100ii is far too overpriced and was already surpassed by other cheaper daps.

If the ak70 is really better than the ak100ii, then that really bums me out because I just picked my ak100ii up a few months ago.

As an aside, if anyone is interested, B&H has the AK Jr on sale for $299.  IMO its a steal at that price.  

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #6,457 of 6,668
thank you all for your answers.

That sounds like a great price on the ak100ii, but very high for the ak70, compared with US prices.

ak100ii for 549€: http://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/2281/astell&kern_ak100ii_portable_digital_audio_player
ak70 of the same seller for 599€: http://www.ebay.de/itm/BRANDNEU-Astell-Kern-AK70-64GB-Digital-Music-Portable-Digital-Audio-Player-/302046107735
at other places the ak100ii is a lot more expensive (like more than twice).

oh, and i thought the ak100ii would have a better sq than the i5.

spend extra? so you mean both, ak70 and i5? i can afford only one dap :D ... and the i5 is cheaper than the ak70.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #6,458 of 6,668
  If the ak70 is really better than the ak100ii, then that really bums me out because I just picked my ak100ii up a few months ago.

This is of course in my perspective...yours may differ - so not to worry, if you think that the 100ii is still the best for you, then that should make you happy for a while :)

thank you all for your answers.

oh, and i thought the ak100ii would have a better sq than the i5.  
spend extra? so you mean both, ak70 and i5? i can afford only one dap :D ... and the i5 is cheaper than the ak70.

i mean in my opinion, either the 70 OR I5 are better choices than the 100ii...the 100ii has come and gone and enjoyed its moment. at this point, i believe the 70 and I5 are both improvements to the 100ii in terms of SQ. So i hope i was able to help you narrow down your options...

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #6,461 of 6,668
The Jr maybe a steal at that price but that gui, I would much rather spend the extra.
then deal with how painfully slow, the user experience would be using that gui, imho.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #6,463 of 6,668

If i may ask, what are these "cheaper daps" that have surpassed the ak100ii? also curious to know if they allow queuing of songs and searching songs, albums by entering the first few letters? thanks

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #6,464 of 6,668
If i may ask, what are these "cheaper daps" that have surpassed the ak100ii? also curious to know if they allow queuing of songs and searching songs, albums by entering the first few letters? thanks

To my ears, the I5, AK70, Opus#1 has more resolving power than the 100ii - and are cheaper too. As for queueing songs, never had the chance to try it as i mostly just listen to them.

Edit: let me also add the DP-X1. It's also cheaper (but depending on where you are located) and is more clinical to listen to (if you prefer that SQ). L&P L3 also has an edge in SQ, cheaper also but the interface has a long way to go.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #6,465 of 6,668
In terms of resolution, ak100ii is better than i5/ak70 and on par with Opus. I5 and AK70 has a fuller sound but technically poorer than the ak100ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back