Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #6,436 of 6,668
Read post #38 I think it is.

I will suggest you use a secondary Amp for the HD600. The AK120ii doesn't drive it as well as I'd like, and it has more power than the AK100ii.

I'm selling both : AK120 II and mini AMP/DAC Centrance HiFi-M8 LX XL4.
it drive fully my previous HD800.
just tell me if interested, will propose excited price :)
sam

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #6,437 of 6,668
Based on the official AK70 unboxing found in the link here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYT9YZPae5w

All AK series II and and above players look to have the USB Audio feature in a future updates. My AK300 and my Freinds AK380 cooper already received this Firmware update.

Noted in this video at around the 4:15 minute mark

I'm super excited about the USB audio digital out feature found in AK70 to make its way across other AK 2nd/3rd generation devices. That would be good news to connect my ak100ii to Chord Mojo via USB. Hopefully the firmware update is released soon :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #6,438 of 6,668
Based on the official AK70 unboxing found in the link here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYT9YZPae5w

All AK series II and and above players look to have the USB Audio feature in a future updates. My AK300 and my Freinds AK380 cooper already received this Firmware update.

Noted in this video at around the 4:15 minute mark

Does it just add another way of connecting or do we get DSD DOP as well?

I'm super excited about the USB audio digital out feature found in AK70 to make its way across other AK 2nd/3rd generation devices. That would be good news to connect my ak100ii to Chord Mojo via USB. Hopefully the firmware update is released soon :)

It is very likely that you will get the cleanest connection using optical.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #6,439 of 6,668
UPDATE: Item has sold.

FYI. I am selling my AK120 II with a 200GB MicroSD and 3 leather cases on ebay if anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/302038566326?

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #6,440 of 6,668
  I have finally found something my 120ii does not do well.  I have found its first shortcoming : latency when using it as a usb dac.  I decided to watch a movie (using VLC) and run the sound from my computer through the AK via USB.  There is an unacceptable delay in the sound track vs on-screen speech and action, and interestingly/frustratingly I couldn`t get rid of it with VLC`s audio-delay adjustment functions : I just couldn`t get it to align.  

Obviously no deal breaker and I don`t really care, just thought it was interesting.  

d

hi guys new user here pf the ak100ii, got a good deal second hand so decided to buy it. just wondering if there has been a workaround for this on a mac? thanks in advance :)

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #6,441 of 6,668
  hi guys new user here pf the ak100ii, got a good deal second hand so decided to buy it. just wondering if there has been a workaround for this on a mac? thanks in advance :)

Syncing to Itunes? I'm not an Itunes user but I saw this app - Dapper. Try it.

Congratulations on your purchase! I just sold my 100ii and saying goodbye to this thread
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #6,446 of 6,668
should one wait for a successor to the ak100ii? may there be an update imminent? i could get a new one for 549 euros. i'm tempted to buy becaus i think it's a good deal. but i'm wondering if i should wait since the ak100ii is two years old... opinions?

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #6,447 of 6,668
  should one wait for a successor to the ak100ii? may there be an update imminent? i could get a new one for 549 euros. i'm tempted to buy becaus i think it's a good deal. but i'm wondering if i should wait since the ak100ii is two years old... opinions?

You don't have to wait, there are already newer single-DAC models available, the AK70 and the AK300.  I'm sure there are threads here discussing them if you want to learn more.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #6,448 of 6,668
  You don't have to wait, there are already newer single-DAC models available, the AK70 and the AK300.  I'm sure there are threads here discussing them if you want to learn more.

thank you for your answer. i thought they weren't meant to be successors of the ak100ii. i also hoped that newer models would feature a usb type c connection.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #6,449 of 6,668

thank you for your answer. i thought they weren't meant to be successors of the ak100ii. i also hoped that newer models would feature a usb type c connection.

I'm not sure what you mean by successors then, IMO it's clear that the 300 series DAP's are AK's next step in advancing the product line, and I don't see any reason they would go back to the older formfactor of the AK100ii and AK120ii.  The AK70 has the same DAC chip as the AK100ii so it's essentially the "budget" version with a smaller feature set.

I should also mention that I have a 120ii which I am extremely happy with, and IMO the newer models don't give me any reason to upgrade.

Based on what little I know about USB-C, I don't see any advantage whatsoever for dedicated audio gear.  It's designed for smartphones and computers, to allow pushing the DAC off the device and into the earphones, which makes some sense for a smartphone since that would free up considerable internal space and reduce some signal interference between all the various functions of the device.  DAP's are of course all about the audio already and don't have the problems USB-C "solves".  I don't see DAC's being integrated into high-end phones or buds either so there's really no reason for it with high-end audio gear, all it will do is force you to use an adapter.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #6,450 of 6,668
  I'm not sure what you mean by successors then, IMO it's clear that the 300 series DAP's are AK's next step in advancing the product line, and I don't see any reason they would go back to the older formfactor of the AK100ii and AK120ii.  The AK70 has the same DAC chip as the AK100ii so it's essentially the "budget" version with a smaller feature set.

I should also mention that I have a 120ii which I am extremely happy with, and IMO the newer models don't give me any reason to upgrade.

Based on what little I know about USB-C, I don't see any advantage whatsoever for dedicated audio gear.  It's designed for smartphones and computers, to allow pushing the DAC off the device and into the earphones, which makes some sense for a smartphone since that would free up considerable internal space and reduce some signal interference between all the various functions of the device.  DAP's are of course all about the audio already and don't have the problems USB-C "solves".  I don't see DAC's being integrated into high-end phones or buds either so there's really no reason for it with high-end audio gear, all it will do is force you to use an adapter.

i thought faster data transfer and charging speeds were huge advantages. so imho there's no reason to *not* include usb-c. but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back