Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #6,151 of 6,668
Nice.  While I do have a preference for sound files, it has gotten to the point here on Head-Fi that stating so can bring on the Hordes, so other than stating that I HAVE a preference, I'm not going down that road.

I do, however, feel that while anyone can appreciate Art (capital intended), it takes some training and/or some instruction to begin to pick apart what elevates some pieces of art to a "higher" level. Enjoying art can be emotional, but clearly understanding WHY the particular piece of art "works" takes some knowledge and training.  The direction of brush strokes, underpainting, layering, use of line, entering or exiting the frame, contrast, color application, etc., all are the parts that lead to the whole.  It's easy to enjoy and have a positive response to a Seurat painting, but having a knowledge of what pointillism actually is, seeing/understanding how the dots are applied, how the manner in which different colors are laid in side by side and in what numbers, brings a fuller understanding of what the artist did that made you have the emotional response you did.  

I believe this holds true for sound (music) as well.  Note that I am not, and have not been, referencing my comments about sound as an understanding of what is "good" music.  I'm speaking about hearing what makes up the sound, and understanding how your equipment is translating it to your senses.  Clarity, timbre, transparency, decay, vibrations, interactions all lead to a sound that affects the listener.  Just as the recording engineer must find a way to record and layer the sound while recording it, our equipment must reproduce that sound and deliver it to our ears and other senses.  

So if we have equipment that can reproduce with great fidelity that which the recording engineer did on his/her end, we can better hear and feel and sense what makes up the music that brings us pleasure.  If we train ourselves to really listen to and understand sound, or gain knowledge by reading about the parts that make up sound, it can give us a better understanding of what we are actually hearing.  

So if I like a high-end DAP and an expensive cable and TOTL iems, it just means that, if I train myself to hear what I am hearing, I can hear what makes up the music I listen to.  Or I can use a smartphone and Apple ear buds and rock out feeling total pleasure.  Either way works.  I've spent a number of years really paying attention to what makes up the sounds I listen to, and I've spent a bunch of money to get equipment that can translate those sounds to my ears in as near a "perfect" manner as is possible.  Just like nearly everyone else here at Head-Fi.  

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #6,153 of 6,668
Man, this thread is getting emotional.  We should all just have a drum circle in the forest or something.  

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #6,154 of 6,668
I can understand how he feels. God forbid something were to happen to my AK120ii, and if for some reason Astell&Kern could not be dealt with, I'd be furious.

I don't know the details of his case, but I'm guessing AK has not been very communicative.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #6,156 of 6,668
Hi folks

Is there a big sound difference between ak120 and ak120 II ?

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #6,158 of 6,668
Hi folks

Is there a big sound difference between ak120 and ak120 II ?
Yes, yes and yes again! Although the original 120 is great in its own right imo, you cannot compare the 2! They are as far apart in every way as it can get! Yea they both have grear sq, but the 120ii is on a whole nother playing field to the original!

How do i know this? I have both them sitting right here by me along with a rwak100, ak240ss, ak320 , paw5000 and my trusty ole zx2!

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6,159 of 6,668
Yes, yes and yes again! Although the original 120 is great in its own right imo, you cannot compare the 2! They are as far apart in every way as it can get! Yea they both have grear sq, but the 120ii is on a whole nother playing field to the original!

How do i know this? I have both them sitting right here by me along with a rwak100, ak240ss, ak320 , paw5000 and my trusty ole zx2!

Wfanning1- It's been said that the 120ll sounds like the 240.  Is that your impression?  One person here did a very detailed a/b and bought the 240 because it has, he felt, slightly more bass.  

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #6,160 of 6,668
Wfanning1- It's been said that the 120ll sounds like the 240.  Is that your impression?  One person here did a very detailed a/b and bought the 240 because it has, he felt, slightly more bass.  
Yes there are some similarities in sq but in comparisson i would take the 120ii over the standard 240 anyday of the week but when comparing the 240ss to the 120ii hands down the ss wins for me anytime! And imo, yes the ss IS that good!
To this point i have or had every single ak dap made except for the 380 and not for any orher reason then i just havent boughg one yet. In my book, the absolute best ak daps are the ak240ss and the 120ii with the 100ii as a distant runner up! If i was asked right now what to buy from ak and on a budget hands down 120ii everytime, that is just a great dap! I never had an issue with it at all hardware or software.
My apologies for the rant, i really am not a ak fanboy and have daps from everyone fiio, ibasso, sony, lotoo, to name a few but ak daps to me are some of the better ones out there!
Finally, to me and only in my opinion would say pound for pound, you'd be hard pressed to find a better dap out there than the ak120ii and yes i am aware of alk the variables and the there are hundred dollar daps that sound good and so on, this is just my opinion take it for what its worth but i know what dap i would get right now if i were in the market!

Ok thanks for allowing me time on the soapbox, gladly i will step down before tomatoes start flying!

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #6,161 of 6,668
I like my 120ll more than any other DAP I have had, but I've only had one AK.  And it's not a rant if it's informational and positive. 
smile.gif

Thanks for weighing in.  

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #6,163 of 6,668
Getting a QP1R soon, I'll be interested to compare it to by AK100ii. Assuming I like the QP1R, I probably should sell the AK... but I like it... but I should sell it... it's never ending haha. 

The QuestStyle is one dead sexy unit. Perhaps the only DAP that is more attractive than any Astell&Kern. And I hear it sounds phenomenal, especially if you like brighter tuning.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #6,164 of 6,668
  Getting a QP1R soon, I'll be interested to compare it to by AK100ii. Assuming I like the QP1R, I probably should sell the AK... but I like it... but I should sell it... it's never ending haha. 

qp1r is good, the sound and power are amazing, but I didn't like the scroll wheel and the ui, so I'm gonna take ak100ii home 
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #6,165 of 6,668
Hi Guys, Not sure if this is the correct thread for this Q? Have acquired AK100ii recently and just noticed that some songs apparently start skipping and quickly jumps to the next song.

Is this due to the song file format or something wrong with the device or firmware update can fix this?

Thanks
Alvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back