Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #5,956 of 6,668
  And... I'm Back!
biggrin.gif

Congratulation, very nice combo!!!

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #5,957 of 6,668
Congratulation, very nice combo!!!

Thanks! I feel very fortunate and also very excited to get to know the AK120ii better.

I started with the AK100ii and then sold it thinking I'll get the AK320 and then I got sidetracked by Cowon Plenue S and had a small fling with the AK Jr... back now with serious business.

This should be end-game for a while... hopefully until AK comes up with something noticeably better...

On a side note... I'm having a hard time stopping myself from doing a cable upgrade... Black Dragon is roaring my name spitting flames

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #5,958 of 6,668
So what caused you to move up? You had so many post on how fantastic the JR was.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #5,959 of 6,668
  So what caused you to move up? You had so many post on how fantastic the JR was.

Jr is Fantastic... I still have it (for now). I did miss the AK100ii way of presenting sound... it has its strengths too (and weakness). Jr. Has been wowing me since I got it.

I've always wanted to own the AK120ii... it just kept getting sidetracked.

If after a fair comparison I still think JR is better I won't be shy about say it. And probably get banned from this thread Haha... let's see how it goes. For now I'm VERY impressed by the AK120ii... I can give you my personal thought vs. the AK100ii and Jr soon...

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #5,960 of 6,668
That would be great thank you.
I have been eying either the AK120 II or the AK320, I have been using my Mojo with my AK100 II as a transport and love the stack and currently cant justify the upgrade.
How does the balanced output sound? do you own a Mojo?

I would love to hear your impressions.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #5,961 of 6,668
Jr is Fantastic... I still have it (for now). I did miss the AK100ii way of presenting sound... it has it's strengths too (and weakness). Jr. Has been wowing me since I got it.

I've always wanted to own the AK120ii... it just kept getting sidetracked.

If after a fair comparison I still think JR is better I won't be shy about say it. And probably get banned from this thread Haha... let's see how it goes. For now I'm VERY impressed by the AK120ii... I can give you my personal thought vs. the AK100ii and Jr soon...

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Can't wait.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,962 of 6,668
  That would be great thank you.
I have been eying either the AK120 II or the AK320, I have been using my Mojo with my AK100 II as a transport and love the stack and currently cant justify the upgrade.
How does the balanced output sound? do you own a Mojo?

I would love to hear your impressions.

I went to go buy the Mojo and picked up the AK120ii, this is very typical nonsense behavior from me... like instead of picking up the AK320 and picking up the Jr instead
rolleyes.gif

Initial thoughts on the AK120ii is that it's the AK100ii on steroids (in a good way). It's like Goku has gone Super-Saiyan... You get the exact same cake but someone put a cherry on top

AK120ii is noticeably heavier (in actual weight), has a more substantial feel to it. The volume wheel also feels more precise and tight. I also like the alligator pattern on the leather case better in person than in picture (people on this thread were right about that)

Jr. still easily has more tonal density/meatier sound (Hello Wolfson), but the AK120ii just oozes refinement/seperation/layering and the background is so black... like voices and instruments are coming out nowhere. The biggest weakness of the Jr is that the background is kind of grainy and not much layering/seperation going on... sometimes it kind of sounds mashed up... the background is not very silent/black like the AK100ii.

The AK120ii is more explosive than the AK100ii with a more even/extended upper-mids/treble... giving a more lively tilt. This is probably why the AK100ii sounds less fatiguing... it's less explosive (less dyanmic range?) and the upper-mids/treble sounds gently shelved compared to the AK120ii which gives it a more calm presentation but sounds less lively compared to the AK120ii... but at the same time the combination of these two "weakness" traits of the AK100ii emphasizes its black background... but the AK120ii sounds more tonally neutral/correct for mastering

These are just initial thoughts. Oh btw.. the AK120ii also has a more speedy/responsive UI... it's either the firmware upgrade since I last owned the AK100ii or there is more CPU/RAM inside this thing. The responsive more advanced UI alone is worth $300~ premium over the JR... (obviously just a personal monetary estimation
evil_smiley.gif
)

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #5,963 of 6,668

Jr. still easily has more tonal density/meatier sound (Hello Wolfson), but the AK120ii just oozes refinement/seperation/layering and the background is so black... like voices and instruments are coming out nowhere. The biggest weakness of the Jr is that the background is kind of grainy and not much layering/seperation going on... sometimes it kind of sounds mashed up... the background is not very silent/black like the AK100ii

I didn't notice that issue with my Earsonics SM64 but as soon as I got Custom Art Ei.XX I got a little bothered by this backgroung noise. I upgraded to AK100II and background is now totally black. In fact, Ei.XX being warm CIEM, they benefit greatly from neutrality of AK100II rather than warmth of AL Jr. Warm on warm is not always a win, at least for me.

Initial thoughts on the AK120ii is that it's the AK100ii on steroids (in a good way). It's like Goku has gone Super-Saiyan... You get the exact same cake but someone put a cherry on top

The AK120ii is more explosive than the AK100ii with a more even/extended upper-mids/treble... giving a more lively tilt. This is probably why the AK100ii sounds less fatiguing... it's less explosive (less dyanmic range?) and the upper-mids/treble sounds gently shelved compared to the AK120ii which gives it a more calm presentation but sounds less lively compared to the AK120ii... but at the same time the combination of these two "weakness" traits of the AK100ii emphasizes its black background... but the AK120ii sounds more tonally neutral/correct for mastering

No comment else I'd like to compare AK100II against AK120II or 320.
ARGGGG . You are devil @M-13 . I just got AK100II a month ago.
Originally Posted by M-13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These are just initial thoughts. Oh btw.. the AK120ii also has a more speedy/responsive UI... it's either the firmware upgrade since I last owned the AK100ii or there is more CPU/RAM inside this thing. The responsive more advanced UI alone is worth $300~ premium over the JR... (obviously just a personal monetary estimation 
evil_smiley.gif
)

You are right though I am not really bothered by Jr's UI as I mostly listen though folders.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #5,965 of 6,668
So do you feel that an upgrade to the AK120ii from the Ak100 II worth the price?

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #5,967 of 6,668
I'm fine with Ak100 II UI speed vs the JR UI which is really it's short coming. But at 500 it's a nice sounding player.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #5,968 of 6,668
Where can I find an AK120II at 800?

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #5,970 of 6,668
What's the best haggled price new an AK240 can be had for you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back