Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 7, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #4,771 of 6,668
  can anyone recommend me a neutral sounding, closed back over ear with replaceable cables? price up to 850€
source will be 120ii

Ultrasone Signature Pros are worth a thought (i have them and they are very good). I know a lot of people like the Mr Speakers headphones, ive only tried them at a meet so am not an expert.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #4,772 of 6,668
I'm listening to my Mr Speakers Alpha Primes right now. They're great, and they're on sale. If you can swing it, the Ether C should also be a truly great hp.

I've tried the Primes on my AK120II, and they sound good. They do benefit from more power, though. Then again, most cans will!

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #4,773 of 6,668
There are a few HiRe download like HiFi Track and HD Track using upsampling to CDA files and stating that SQ is improved. I did notice that high frequency has increased to the
extent of not harsh.

They can state what they want.  I wouldn't purchase something like that.  An upsample is just that.  My Oppo BDP-103 up samples DVDs, but if I take the same title on a BD and play it through the same machine it looks and sounds better.  

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #4,774 of 6,668
There are a few HiRe download like HiFi Track and HD Track using upsampling to CDA files and stating that SQ is improved. I did notice that high frequency has increased to the
extent of not harsh.

People who are trying to sell you something will of course say the product they are selling is worth the money.

Upsampling CANNOT make audio better.That's simple scientific fact. Based on the encoding software, it can change the audio, but it cannot bring a single bit of the original recording back to the music. Everything that was lost in the first compression is lost for good.

What's more, the differences you are hearing probably aren't even the software changing the file but rather your brain creating change to match expectations.

You have fallen victim to advertising and propaganda. It happens to the best of us. :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #4,775 of 6,668
Just wanted to pass on a good retailer- http://redfli.com, on the East Coast of the U.S.  I bought a case for my 120ll from them on eBay and they went out of their way to make sure I got what I wanted, at a reasonable price and with free shipping.  When they had a question about my order, they emailed me and double-checked to be sure they had it right.  I've looked at their website and they offer all kinds of interesting A/V stuff, including open box items and test drives on the AK Jr.  I'm not affiliated with them, not making any money for myself here, just wanted to say they treated me right and seem to be a good place to buy stuff.  Check it out as another place to buy if you are looking for stuff (they have all kinds of products, including Kef speakers, which I love).

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,776 of 6,668
Good to hear of good service - especially from an eBay company.
+1 on KEF - I have a room full of them for my surround system (Q series floor standing - none of the fancy (very expensive) ref stuff).
They are local to me and just up river from KEF you will find Chord - lots of great hi-fi nearby.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4,777 of 6,668
I've got two Kef floor speakers (304s) from somewhere around 1980 and a 7.1 3005 surround setup for my home theater.  The 7.1 can shake the house pretty good, and the 304s still deliver clean, crisp sound from CDs.  

When I bought the AK case there was confusion about the color I wanted- they emailed me to find out if what I thought I was getting was what they were sending (it was).  That kind of service is worth posting about.  That's why I keep buying from Oppo as well- superb customer service.   

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #4,781 of 6,668
something I'd like to see in the next firmware is to see what Album the song's on in database view.

let me explain:
when I browse through an artists songs (all) it shows the title and underneath you can see the artist's name, I'd love to see the album next to the artist here.
shouldn't be to hard to implement I guess.

does anyone know where I can file a request?

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #4,782 of 6,668
People who are trying to sell you something will of course say the product they are selling is worth the money.

Upsampling CANNOT make audio better.That's simple scientific fact. Based on the encoding software, it can change the audio, but it cannot bring a single bit of the original recording back to the music. Everything that was lost in the first compression is lost for good.

What's more, the differences you are hearing probably aren't even the software changing the file but rather your brain creating change to match expectations.

You have fallen victim to advertising and propaganda. It happens to the best of us. :)

When you convert to DSD files, music play back will be more smooth like analogue sound and not so digitally sound. I did noticed that it also helped those 320 mp3. As long as the sound quality of this converted DSD files not worse than the original Wave files or MP3,
I am willing to use this JRiver software to rip my favorite tracks to DSD for playing in AK120II. The only drawback is I need a 128GB SD Card and more drainage of battery on my AK120II.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #4,784 of 6,668
You are putting a tiny file in a bigger package.  The quality of the file is not changed.  All you gain is a bigger-size file.  

You are making real sense here.
The analogy here is the same as photography, u using a 35mm camera to blow up to A4 size, photo will be sharp. It can be blow up to bigger just that the quality isn't there.
First time, I heard people converting 320kbs mp3 to DSD, totally makes no logical sense at all. :innocent:

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,785 of 6,668
You are putting a tiny file in a bigger package.  The quality of the file is not changed.  All you gain is a bigger-size file.  

DSD format will make the music more smoothly even though the material will be the same. I just need someone who has used JRIVER to upsampled to DSD files to prove that I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back