Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #3,572 of 6,668
  I own the AK100 II and it certainly has problems driving my Beyerdynamics T90's (250 Ohms). And thats a shame. I also use some IE80's and they sound great on the Ak100 II, but then at the same time i also want to enjoy my T90's without using an extra Headphone Amp (which i have, an Cayin C5). So basically the AK10o II is just lacking one thing for me. A "Gain-Switch" so i can drive my T90's at the volume-level that i desire. Not sure if i keep it.

You should hear the AK100II with the AKT5p's...outstanding! 

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #3,573 of 6,668

You should hear the AK100II with the AKT5p's...outstanding! 

I didn`t hear the AKT5P with the 100ii, but with my 120ii.  That headphone is truly mind-blowing, and I owned (until last week) a regular T5P recabled for 2.5 TRRS, so I was well familiar with the sound.  The AKT5P is another world, it is not just a rebranding with price hike . . .  

I have a chance to buy one here in Tokyo for a fantastic price, so I`m trying to finance that now.  

Here is my demo situation a couple of weeks ago.  My 120ii with the store`s demo AKT5P and regular T5P.  The AKT5P is plugged into the balanced out; the T5P is from single ended.  I could A-B them just by toggling the `Balanced` button on the AK. . . . 

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #3,574 of 6,668

I didn`t hear the AKT5P with the 100ii, but with my 120ii.  That headphone is truly mind-blowing, and I owned (until last week) a regular T5P recabled for 2.5 TRRS, so I was well familiar with the sound.  The AKT5P is another world, it is not just a rebranding with price hike . . .  

I have a chance to buy one here in Tokyo for a fantastic price, so I`m trying to finance that now.  

Here is my demo situation a couple of weeks ago.  My 120ii with the store`s demo AKT5P and regular T5P.  The AKT5P is plugged into the balanced out; the T5P is from single ended.  I could A-B them just by toggling the `Balanced` button on the AK. . . . 

Kudo's to Astell&Kern for perfecting the T5p's...these are the most open sounding closed headphones I've heard. The air and space is outstanding and not at the expense of the dynamics or bass.

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #3,575 of 6,668
I just bought back a slightly humbler closed headphone...

I sold them to a friend 4 years ago and had regretted it ever since. He finally let me buy them back and they are still immensely enjoyable cans. Comfort could be better (especially with glasses), but they're a lot of fun, pretty capable all-rounders and nearly indestructible.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #3,576 of 6,668
An easy way to explain the difference between the 100ii and the 120ii is that the 120ii has everything the 100ii has, but in a larger amount. The gain and balanced out on the 120ii are quite a bit more impressive than the 100ii, so if you're planning for balanced use, opt for the 120ii. The 100ii (I use this) leaves a lot to be desired in the balanced department.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,577 of 6,668
An easy way to explain the difference between the 100ii and the 120ii is that the 120ii has everything the 100ii has, but in a larger amount. The gain and balanced out on the 120ii are quite a bit more impressive than the 100ii, so if you're planning for balanced use, opt for the 120ii. The 100ii (I use this) leaves a lot to be desired in the balanced department.

I´ve read and heard about that balanced out, but haven´t really understood what it is, compared to a normal headphone out. It´s smaller for some reason. But what does it do?

(Yes, this is where I confirm that I am indeed what is called a "n00b")

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,578 of 6,668

I´ve read and heard about that balanced out, but haven´t really understood what it is, compared to a normal headphone out. It´s smaller for some reason. But what does it do?

(Yes, this is where I confirm that I am indeed what is called a "n00b")

Here's a primer.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3,579 of 6,668
Agreed. Even more from 120-240...Probably 100%.

Yup. And unless you're playing DSD files, I doubt there's actually a real difference between the AK120 II and AK240 when playing FLAC, WAV and MP3 files.

I just bought back a slightly humbler closed headphone...

I sold them to a friend 4 years ago and had regretted it ever since. He finally let me buy them back and they are still immensely enjoyable cans. Comfort could be better (especially with glasses), but they're a lot of fun, pretty capable all-rounders and nearly indestructible.

Great headphones, my friend! 
smile.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,580 of 6,668

To add to this, the balanced out makes a significant difference with my easy to drive CIEMs (NT6pro) that have the performance level to hear the difference amounting to better separation in soundstage which enhances detail and 3D effect. So don't count out the AK100 II balanced connection for CIEM use. However, my full size headphones like the more power in the AK100 II SO connection better and sound better still when amped. On the flip side, auditioning the AK120 II balanced out paired with the LCD-XC had end game SQ, no amp needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back