Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 2, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #5,986 of 6,668
hehehe... I had a good laugh.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #5,987 of 6,668
I've got the eq way up on my 120ll with my Angie and I still don't find it fatiguing.  I want to hear all the details (which is I think where the concept of fatiguing comes from).  Then again, I don't listen for six hours straight, which I would find fatiguing with anything stuck in my ears.  

As to the girl next door or her sister- let them buy their own audio equipment.  

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #5,991 of 6,668
My only trepidation with going up the Astell ladder is I don't think it will ever sound as good as the Chord Mojo and of course the price. But the idea of not stacking is my only compelling reason to move up.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #5,992 of 6,668
My only trepidation with going up the Astell ladder is I don't think it will ever sound as good as the Chord Mojo and of course the price. But the idea of not stacking is my only compelling reason to move up.

Yeah I agree with the not stacking part. I used to stack when it was fashionable to do so on Head-Fi. The situation is so different now that we have high quality DAPs we could never have dreamed of in the past. I remember when iMod and Sony Walkman (Hello Cowon Daps of the past!) were the best we could get and then we had to pair that up with an RSA Amp and call it the best portable system out there. What we have now is sooooo much better, even the Apple certified CLAS and Fostex HP1 don't compare. I still remember when Fiio launched their very first E7... and that was like super bang for the buck. I had one and I liked it... haha. That was when I was a "skeptic" and thought all properly implemented modern DACs would sound the same. What and idiot I was
very_evil_smiley.gif

With the X7... not to mention the many DAPs out there... we've truly hit a golden age in portable audio. If you went back in time with the X7 to about five years ago you probably sell the damn thing for $3500 and nobody would say it wasn't worth the money.

My regular shops I visit here have everything. I mean everything under the sun in terms of DAP/IEMs/Headphones. Everything from Empire Audio Zeus to AK380Copper to exotic cables only found in Japan or Singapore and limited edition Japan only stuff as well, along with exoteric Chinese DAPs that nobody's heard of. Basically every product talked about on Head-Fi is there for me to listen to anytime I bother to walk ten minutes from my work... but I don't go very frequently.

Knowing how crazy I am I stay away from stuff I can't afford or should not buy. Honestly if I try the AK380Cu and hear stuff that brings me to tears I will take out my card and buy it on the spot... and then regret it... or not buy it and I'll keep going back for more listening and then obsess over it for months and I'll finally buy it anyway... haha. I allow myself to try stuff I know I can buy. I kind of don't want to hear the Mojo because I don't want to stack. If I hear it I'll probably start stacking again... ugh...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,993 of 6,668
I'm at work with my 120ii => Layla set up and pure awesomeness is exploding in my ears. I'm being gobsmacked by waves of heavenly angels singing my auditory senses into submission.

Like many have said on this thread... I think the AK120ii is a great place to stop for a while. Rest a year or two from upgrading and just enjoy my music without worry. It's a threshold where it's good enough for the rest of my life.. sure I'll try better stuff when the time is right in the future... but even if no advancements were made from here in terms of DAPs and IEM technology I'll still be set for life.

I may put the girl-next door up for sale. She's great but redundant... probably won't be getting much air time now that her much hotter bigger sister is in town
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #5,994 of 6,668
I'm happy with my 120ll and Angie/UERM.  I walk with mine, so stacking would be...unpleasant.  And the volume control of the Mojo looks very hinky compared to the perfect (to me) AK volume control knob.  I also really like the sound sig I'm getting now, so spending more bucks just to hear the Mojo sounds.. unwise.  

I'm not even going to CanJam SoCal, though my wife said to go and buy whatever I want (good wifey) as I really don't want anything right now. How very un-Head-Fi

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #5,995 of 6,668
I'm at work with my 120ii => Layla set up and pure awesomeness is exploding in my ears. I'm being gobsmacked by waves of heavenly angels singing my auditory senses into submission.

Like many have said on this thread... I think the AK120ii is a great place to stop for a while. Rest a year or two from upgrading and just enjoy my music without worry. It's a threshold where it's good enough for the rest of my life.. sure I'll try better stuff when the time is right in the future... but even if no advancements were made from here in terms of DAPs and IEM technology I'll still be set for life.

I may put the girl-next door up for sale. She's great but redundant... probably won't be getting much air time now that her much hotter bigger sister is in town:D  

Me too. I've had the AK120ii for five or six months now. Have no desire to upgrade, if indeed there is such a thing as an upgrade. It's just soooo good.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #5,996 of 6,668
If you haven't had the chance to audition the Mojo and I understand how you all feel. But honestly it's really a technological marvel. I can't listen to my AK100II without it because it's no match sonically. I frequently travel on business and I never take my Mojo, usually travel with my AK100 no stack and I truely do miss the quality I get from the stack.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #5,997 of 6,668
If you haven't had the chance to audition the Mojo and I understand how you all feel. But honestly it's really a technological marvel. I can't listen to my AK100II without it because it's no match sonically. I frequently travel on business and I never take my Mojo, usually travel with my AK100 no stack and I truely do miss the quality I get from the stack.

I can see myself talking myself into getting the Mojo. It can sort of be for at home only, while the AK120ii alone can be my on-the-go portable. I was offered one for a nice price at the shop... next time I'll listen to it maybe?

Haha and then of course I'll tell you the optical out of the AK120ii is FAR SUPERIOR to the optical out of the AK100ii and drive you nuts
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #5,998 of 6,668
Hahahah no sir. I've learned to listen to what my ears tell in this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back