Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
May 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #151 of 6,668
Only thing connected with MS and SDcards are the exfat format standard.  I believe all companies have to pay a royalty for using it.

I think you are correct. As of now the M doesn't support exFat and I cannot use the same uSD card I use in my ak240 and dx90 with the M.

May 18, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #153 of 6,668
Are these going to me more expensive than what they are already selling the original for?

I have to say the new look looks pretty nice!

At the moment it's supposed to be $999 for the 100 and $1799 for 120

May 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #154 of 6,668
That impression also mentioned that AK is planning to slow down/stop producing the original AK100/120. Dont sell yours yet, it may become collector's item LoL

May 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #157 of 6,668
  how can the reviewer of ak120ii say it is better than ak240 if they both use the same DAC chips?

is ak120 titan worth keeping as a collector item?

It's his preference and the difference in sound signature between the two.

May 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #158 of 6,668
Frankly, I can't understand why any of you are interested in the new models - we can all see 'the writing on the wall'...

People were tripping over themselves, in a virtual stampede, to pre-order the AK480 April Fools DAP.    Read the thread and see for yourself.

Do you really think iRiver, who have repeatedly demonstrated their eagerness to relieve people of thousands of dollars, will miss the opportunity to gain more publicity and income by producing something like the AK480? They saw the stampede. They know people will run to buy such an expensive DAP.

It's hilarious. iRiver (and their dealers) charge by far the biggest margins, and, to compound this, evidently have no qualms whatsoever about depreciating the value of these expensive DAPs, by updating their models more frequently than their competitors.

But the party won't last forever.

More and more serious high-end fullsize hi-fi firms are turning their eyes to this market.

Meridian, Chord Electronics, Digital&Analog, Ayre Acoustics, Light Harmonic...   they haven't dealt a killer blow, in terms of direct-value/performance competition for a fully-portable DAP, to the AK DAPs just yet, but it's coming.

May 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #160 of 6,668
Mython always has good points, before I do something on head fi, I first discuss with him in advance
happy_face1.gif
I wish I had control over the language as he has, we would unite and talk louder, more people could see some things.

Better go watch Monty Python series again
tongue_smile.gif

May 19, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #161 of 6,668
  how can the reviewer of ak120ii say it is better than ak240 if they both use the same DAC chips?

I would go as far as to say that from the DAC on to the output jack they are exactly the same board.  On the AK100II also identical but the input modded for one balanced dac instead of two.

May 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #162 of 6,668
Well said bro. I'm guilty... But you make some good points.

Hey, if you have sufficient disposable income to afford AK DAPs, then good luck to you (honestly - I wish you happiness with it).

I didn't say what I said above to p1$$ anyone off (it probably will but that's not the reason I said it).

I just said it because I feel it is true.

I do not feel that iRiver care about their customers as much as they care about their bottom line. I'm not stating that as a fact; I'm merely stating it as a feeling. Innovation is a good thing, but if you're going to charge a fat pricetag for your DAPs, then at least don't undermine their value so quickly, with newer models.

Honestly, good things are coming to the DAP marketplace. Everyone can see things are rapidly improving, with so much interest evident, in the headphone-related electronics market, from serious high-end firms, who were previously only interested in fullsize electronics and loudspeakers.   And, although it is not perfect, I am amazed at how much bang-for-the-buck is currently being offered by the DX90. I'm so grateful I am into DAPs now, instead of 5 yrs ago.

May 19, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #163 of 6,668
I certainly don't want to waste any of my money. I'm fairly new to this hobby, and if I were to buy another DAP, especially in this price range, it damn near better be perfect. I'm happy with my zx1, very happy, but I would still want something that would be better. To my untrained ears, I don't even know of I'd hear much of a difference. I'd also wait a bit more to read some solid reviews. I don't want to have UI issues with one of these units... Which seems like it could a problem.

I for one, am grateful when people offer their POV, especially when it could same be some unhappiness. So, thank you!!

May 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #164 of 6,668
I still do not understand why these new units have only 1 slot for sd cards?I dont see how releasing new units in a world of higher Rez music with less capacity makes any sense at all?What am i missing?

May 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #165 of 6,668
  I still do not understand why these new units have only 1 slot for sd cards?I dont see how releasing new units in a world of higher Rez music with less capacity makes any sense at all?What am i missing?

Cuz they are iRiver. They are not trying to help their customers, they are trying to build a brand name. The first rule of course, remove useful features and make your customers suffer while they are thinking the products they bought make them cool and give them a higher status in public.

What was the date that Apple introduced expandable storage on iDevices?

I wouldn't be surprised if their next gen. daps have their expandable storage options completely removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back