Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Apr 12, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #3,001 of 4,426

Haha, don't forget the one about downloading a new album, then feeling uncomfortable until its transferred onto absolutely EVERY player. 
wink.gif

Why not get another AK240 then? Go with what's proven.

Wait a minute, there's no risk involved in that, nothing different. That's simply not Head-fi.

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #3,003 of 4,426
Haha, don't forget the one about downloading a new album, then feeling uncomfortable until its transferred onto absolutely EVERY player. :wink:

Wait a minute, there's no risk involved in that, nothing different. That's simply not Head-fi.

Lol. You answered your own question bro, and very well I might add. :wink:

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,004 of 4,426

Exactly! :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #3,005 of 4,426
Quite a strange observation the last 24 hours.

I changed tips on Ref.1 from red core tips I've been using for months now to Spiral Dots. Using the same DX50 as source I noticed a definite tightened bass response and a slightly warmer smoother mid-range, actually very nice . The strange part is its introduced some kind spike or peak in the treble with the DX50 unit, particularly at (slightly) higher volumes. Other sources don't seem to exhibit the same behaviour. Even stranger, if I make some insertion adjustments it comes and goes. I also lie down when listening a lot wondering if it tilts the seal allowing unwanted air around the canal with the Spiral Dot tips.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,006 of 4,426
Quite a strange observation the last 24 hours.

I changed tips on Ref.1 from red core tips I've been using for months now to Spiral Dots. Using the same DX50 as source I noticed a definite tightened bass response and a slightly warmer smoother mid-range, actually very nice . The strange part is its introduced some kind spike or peak in the treble with the DX50 unit, particularly at (slightly) higher volumes. Other sources don't seem to exhibit the same behaviour. Even stranger, if I make some insertion adjustments it comes and goes. I also lie down when listening a lot wondering if it tilts the seal allowing unwanted air around the canal with the Spiral Dot tips.

dat Sabre glare?

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #3,007 of 4,426
  dat Sabre glare?

DX50 uses a Wolfson WM8740 DAC, its the DX90 with dual Sabre.

I like almost everything about the Spiral Dot tips on Ref.1, the mid-range is thicker, bass faster, just the treble seems a slightly one noted and peaky with the DX50 unit, which despite popular belief of more expensive always being better I prefer using DX50 with Ref.1 80% of the time.

Could also be the Toxic Cable I'm using which isn't really the correct cable for Ref.1.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #3,009 of 4,426
Apr 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,010 of 4,426
One of my favourite artists I've posted about here before is Michel Jonasz, particularly the live concert version of "Guigui'. After searching for the studio version I ended up finding 'the best of Michel Jonasz' CD in Australia cheap. It arrived today, I finally got to hear the studio version of Guigui through Ref.1 (a long anticipated want)

The song is absolutely amazing, capable so much emotion, impact and dynamics... but the mastering and recording is quite subpar. Its moments like this I become slightly frustrated as Ref.1 can pull so much potential but the time and equipment used to record the song really lets down the final outcome.

Such a beautiful song none the less.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #3,011 of 4,426
One of my favourite artists I've posted about here before is Michel Jonasz, particularly the live concert version of "Guigui'. After searching for the studio version I ended up finding 'the best of Michel Jonasz' CD in Australia cheap. It arrived today, I finally got to hear the studio version of Guigui through Ref.1 (a long anticipated want)

The song is absolutely amazing, capable so much emotion, impact and dynamics... but the mastering and recording is quite subpar. Its moments like this I become slightly frustrated as Ref.1 can pull so much potential but the time and equipment used to record the song really lets down the final outcome.

Such a beautiful song none the less.
- . -

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #3,012 of 4,426
Spiral dots were still my go to on the Ref 1 although I thought it made them too bass heavy personally. On 1Plus2 the spirals are perfect.

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #3,013 of 4,426
Agree, @H20. I've been spending the past few days exploring my extensive music library using AK Connect to stream music to my AK240, and listen with my Tralucent IEMs. That's when I realised that a few songs that I am fond of are actually not well recorded or mastered. But it is what it is. I am just grateful for the ones that are. :)

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #3,014 of 4,426
  Spiral dots were still my go to on the Ref 1 although I thought it made them too bass heavy personally. On 1Plus2 the spirals are perfect.

I cannot disagree on the bass. Ref.1 may represent a shimmer of Gavin's teenage years, cruising his Nissan Skyline downtown.

The rumbling sub-bass echoing 4 blocks away.

But..I find the bass rather adjustable between sources and tips, why I'm always using the term 'setup correctly'. Its not just some gimmick I made up. :wink:

Agree, @H20. I've been spending the past few days exploring my extensive music library using AK Connect to stream music to my AK240, and listen with my Tralucent IEMs. That's when I realised that a few songs that I am fond of are actually not well recorded or mastered. But it is what it is. I am just grateful for the ones that are.
smily_headphones1.gif

Its a sad situation, so many older songs were written so well including the instruments accompanying them.

I might get you to do another recording of Guigui for me Kiats. we'll nail it. :wink:

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #3,015 of 4,426
ROTL! H20, even the most excellent recording and mastering is not going to revive Guigui after it has been butchered... :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back