Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Sep 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,936 of 4,426
Just wanted to let everyone know that Craig has contacted me and kindly provided answers to all of my questions.
I feel his answers are very transparent and honest (provided background around their production process and how/when it may introduce delays - I do not feel like he has been pushing me in any way to go ahead with my order).
After this experience I have no more reservations about ordering - just need to decide whether I want the 48" OM or longer cable in which case it can't be OM (ie i'm also considering custom 54" non OM (wire) version.
I would to for OM but I'm tall and that length is just barely long enough to comfortably reach the bottom of my pocket when I use right angle connector - my fear is if I ever need to re-terminate (ie take an inch away) it would be too short.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,938 of 4,426
Which cable are you getting? I just changed my order, I'm doing 8 strand Reference cable, 60".

Probably 4 strand 54" Reference (non OM). Craig told me that OM cables are only done in 48", while if you want non OM (wire) then he can make custom sizes (not restricted to 48" or 60"). If it was possible to order custom size OM I would go for that over the non OM (wire) version but I'm worried that 48" may end up being too short for me.

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,939 of 4,426
Which cable are you getting? I just changed my order, I'm doing 8 strand Reference cable, 60".

My order is in - can't wait to see how this will compare with stock cable. Ended up going with 48" OM + connector (so the whole length can go up to 54" if needed - this was Craig's suggestion and he could not have been nicer and more helpful guiding me through pros/cons of various options).

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,940 of 4,426
Nice bro. Let me know how you like it... I am dying for mine... But me being stupid had to change my order... Now more waiting. Craig is a very nice guy. He definitely took a lot of time with me for my first order, was very patient. That is one of the reasons I still deal with him. Plus, he has always delivered what he promised to me.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,941 of 4,426
  Hey Guys...

I rarely post in headfi and for this very reason. 

I cant believe that so many of you are saying that I don't answer emails when daily Im up to 4am 7 days a week answering emails. I have learned that lots of emails from outside US go into my SPAM folder or I just simply I don't receive them. Im sure this is not the case for every email.

Believe me, Im not perfect and this certainly is no excuse at all!!! I wish the thousands of customers that are blown away from their experiences would post comments. Instead the very few that something went wrong are the ones that post. If so many were unhappy, trust me, I wouldn't be coming out new products and hopefully change the audio community. All I want to do is make the best product that Im capable of. I will never cut corners or rush things in order to mass produce cables. That will never happen. 

For those of you that have a bad experience, Im very sorry for this. I try my very best to make everyone satisfied. I often fail, but succeed much more so for that reason I keep doing what I can.

My email address is csanborn@whiplashaudio.com

Thanks for listening to me.

Craig

Craig answered all my emails, and turn around time was very reasonable, less than 2 weeks, and this is for re terminate plug from 3.5mm to 2.5mm, a $40 transaction.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,942 of 4,426
Well got the replacement Ref 1s in and..... Much better. I at least know it's not my ears :wink:... Gonna have to run these in. They are bassy for sure. I think the bass will settle with usage though. I notice there is some serious slam on these.... Bass goes deeper than any other IEM I've heard so far.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #1,943 of 4,426
  Hey Guys...

I rarely post in headfi and for this very reason. 

I cant believe that so many of you are saying that I don't answer emails when daily Im up to 4am 7 days a week answering emails. I have learned that lots of emails from outside US go into my SPAM folder or I just simply I don't receive them. Im sure this is not the case for every email.

Believe me, Im not perfect and this certainly is no excuse at all!!! I wish the thousands of customers that are blown away from their experiences would post comments. Instead the very few that something went wrong are the ones that post. If so many were unhappy, trust me, I wouldn't be coming out new products and hopefully change the audio community. All I want to do is make the best product that Im capable of. I will never cut corners or rush things in order to mass produce cables. That will never happen. 

For those of you that have a bad experience, Im very sorry for this. I try my very best to make everyone satisfied. I often fail, but succeed much more so for that reason I keep doing what I can.

My email address is csanborn@whiplashaudio.com

Thanks for listening to me.

Craig

I have a whole email conversation saved to remind myself NOT to get anything from Whiplash anymore which I do not think would be nice to post here. Story cut short, It's for a replacement cable that hasn't been sent in more than a year and a half, probably more like two. Getting reassurances that it has been sent without any tracking number and responses like "oh? it's hasn't?" etc etc. And of course, no cable yet.  

I know Craig was in a car accident a couple years back and hence the disappearance for that period. But since then it's kind of a put off to see no replies or your issue getting fixed and YET seeing new cables like the TWau being marketed like crazy by the same person whom you were trying to contact regarding a purchased product.   

I have come to the conclusion that if you're a new customer or if you're purchasing something, service is excellent. After-sales service, you're on your own. Expensive lesson but well learnt. 

Sorry to side-track from the thread but seeing this post kinda set me off. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #1,944 of 4,426
  I have a whole email conversation saved to remind myself NOT to get anything from Whiplash anymore which I do not think would be nice to post here. Story cut short, It's for a replacement cable that hasn't been sent in more than a year and a half, probably more like two. Getting reassurances that it has been sent without any tracking number and responses like "oh? it's hasn't?" etc etc. And of course, no cable yet.  

I know Craig was in a car accident a couple years back and hence the disappearance for that period. But since then it's kind of a put off to see no replies or your issue getting fixed and YET seeing new cables like the TWau being marketed like crazy by the same person whom you were trying to contact regarding a purchased product.   

I have come to the conclusion that if you're a new customer or if you're purchasing something, service is excellent. After-sales service, you're on your own. Expensive lesson but well learnt. 

Sorry to side-track from the thread but seeing this post kinda set me off. 

That's too bad to hear....

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #1,945 of 4,426
Anyone here knows what
  Well got the replacement Ref 1s in and..... Much better. I at least know it's not my ears :wink:... Gonna have to run these in. They are bassy for sure. I think the bass will settle with usage though. I notice there is some serious slam on these.... Bass goes deeper than any other IEM I've heard so far.

Are the new replacements glued to the cable? Have to check with Gavin which glue he uses. Got a friend asking that has a loose connection with another IEM using Westone pins.

Agree with the bass of the Ref1s. Surprises me every time I try them on.   

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,946 of 4,426
Anyone here knows what
Are the new replacements glued to the cable? Have to check with Gavin which glue he uses. Got a friend asking that has a loose connection with another IEM using Westone pins.

Agree with the bass of the Ref1s. Surprises me every time I try them on.   

The white water based glue that's quite widely available and used for arts and craft. :)

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,947 of 4,426
The white water based glue that's quite widely available and used for arts and craft.
smily_headphones1.gif

Taking technology to the extreme.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,949 of 4,426
Oct 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,950 of 4,426
900x900px-LL-63e664c8_shopping.jpeg

This was posted earlier in this thread and I can confirm it solved the cables detachment issues for my Ref 1 and 1plus2.

Yup! That's the one. Interestingly, even Daiso (for those of you in Asia) has such a glue under their house brand. In Singapore, that would be S$2 a bottle. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back