Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Oct 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,071 of 4,426
Jerk pork and Ref1

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #2,075 of 4,426
I first had a listen to them with the "stock" gold-silver cable and then switched them out with the Tralucent Version 1 gold-silver cable, then the Wagnus Luna cable, and lastly with the Wagnus Progress Bootsy1 cable. The sonic improvements kept coming, sounding cleaner/more detailed with each switch. 

Bootsy1....

Did you hear any sonic differences between the "stock" Tralucent silver/gold and the V1 that came with your 1+2's? Or were they fairly equal?

Cheers,

Iva

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,076 of 4,426
I met up with Anakchan this evening for some Jamaican food and some hi-fi. I finally had a chance to listen to the Ref1 and I can understand what the buzz was all about. I first had a listen to them with the "stock" gold-silver cable and then switched them out with the Tralucent Version 1 gold-silver cable, then the Wagnus Luna cable, and lastly with the Wagnus Progress Bootsy1 cable. The sonic improvements kept coming, sounding cleaner/more detailed with each switch. The bass was PHAT(solid and robust), just the way I like it.I thought the jazz vocals sounded sweet, Anakchan said the vocals have more meat than the 1+2s and I agree. I'm not quite ready throw my 1+2s out with the bath water just yet, but I did enjoy what I heard from the Ref1, especially after switching out the "stock" gold-silver cable.

Which is the best cable among all?

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #2,077 of 4,426
@AnakChan do you agree on the improvements brought by the Wagnus cable sonic wise. I am always doubtful on improvements over the Tralucent cables as they are top quality (not very ergonomic though).

Sonically, here's what I personally felt in order of preference:

- Wagnus Bootsy1: crisp & clean. Good instrument/vocal separation/distinction.
- Wagnus Luna:  crisp & clean but less separation in instruments/vocals. Still very good but relative to Wagnus Bootsy1, it sounded a little more congested. Bass felt to have a little more impact on this than the Bootsy1.
- Tralucent silver/gold V1: Clean overall signature however notes don't seem to "close" cleanly. i.e. from note to note, keystroke to keystroke, drum hit to drum hit, kind of a slight fuzzy decay before the next instrument hits.
- Tralucent silver/gold V2: Feels least clean compared to any of the cables above. Don't get me wrong, this cable is no slouch but if you're able to compare & contrast to the other cables above, the differences become apparent.

Some other "scary" thoughts: Wagnus Bootsy1 + 1Plus2 sounded just more vibrant & rich audibly compared to the Silver/Gold V2 + Ref1. When we removed the Silver/Gold V2 from the Ref1 and compare the IEMs more equally with the Wagnus Bootsy1, then the two IEMs were more comparable. It became a matter of taste preferences.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #2,078 of 4,426
Uber wasn't there?

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,079 of 4,426
^Is the Wagnus Progress Bootsy1 cable better than the rest of the cables you've tried?

Bootsy1....

Did you hear any sonic differences between the "stock" Tralucent silver/gold and the V1 that came with your 1+2's? Or were they fairly equal?

Cheers,

Iva
^Is the Wagnus Progress Bootsy1 cable better than the rest of the cables you've tried?

Bootsy1....

Cheers,

Iva

Which is the best cable among all?

The Wagnus Progress Bootsy1 cable is the fairest of them all, I gotta call like I hear it. Comparing all 4 cables, it clearly sounded the best to me followed by the Wagnus Luna, V1, V2. I prefer the V1 signature over the V2. The V2 sounds too glossy, smoothing over the notes and resulting in a disconnect from my music. When I switched to the V1, I felt like I was listening to jazz in some backwater juke joint rather than some stuffy jazz conservatory. The V1 grooves harder, the energy and swag returned, the Tralucent sound was back. Switching to the Wagnus cables, the "groove" is still intact, but you're getting more detailing, separation, and soundstage. The V2 in my opinion, does not retrieve sound that Ref1&1+2 are capable of delivering.The Wagnus cables made the V2 sound like a "stock cable".

The whole time I was listening to the Ref1, I kept saying to myself, "man that bass...THAT BASS"!! , it was that good. The Ref1 reminded me of an old bodybuilder from the 70s-80s, Tom Platz. He had these legs that looked like they came straight out of a comic book. He had a good upper body as well, but his leg development overshadowed every other body part. Everyone was fixated on his legs, they were mesmerizing. Well, the Ref1 bass is mesmerizing, but it outshines the mids and highs. The Ref1 mids and highs aren't bad, but they are not on the same level as the bass. When I listen to the 1+2, everything stands out from top to bottom, there is parity in each region and harmony to the overall sound. I'm a fan Tralucent and of both iems. I don't consider the Ref1 to be an upgrade over the 1+2 because they have a totally different sound signature.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #2,080 of 4,426
The Wagnus Progress Bootsy1 cable is the fairest of them all, I gotta call like I hear it. Comparing all 4 cables, it clearly sounded the best to me followed by the Wagnus Luna, V1, V2. I prefer the V1 signature over the V2. The V2 sounds too glossy, smoothing over the notes and resulting in a disconnect from my music. When I switched to the V1, I felt like I was listening to jazz in some backwater juke joint rather than some stuffy jazz conservatory. The V1 grooves harder, the energy and swag returned, the Tralucent sound was back. Switching to the Wagnus cables, the "groove" is still intact, but you're getting more detailing, separation, and soundstage. The V2 in my opinion, does not retrieve sound that Ref1&1+2 are capable of delivering.The Wagnus cables made the V2 sound like a "stock cable".

The whole time I was listening to the Ref1, I kept saying to myself, "man that bass...THAT BASS"!! , it was that good. The Ref1 reminded me of an old bodybuilder from the 70s-80s, Tom Platz. He had these legs that looked like they came straight out of a comic book. He had a good upper body as well, but his leg development overshadowed every other body part. Everyone was fixated on his legs, they were mesmerizing. Well, the Ref1 bass is mesmerizing, but it outshines the mids and highs. The Ref1 mids and highs aren't bad, but they are not on the same level as the bass. When I listen to the 1+2, everything stands out from top to bottom, there is parity in each region and harmony to the overall sound. I'm a fan Tralucent and of both iems. I don't consider the Ref1 to be an upgrade over the 1+2 because they have a totally different sound signature.

Hey Bootsy1, do you know if the Progress is Haru's totl cable? How much does it cost?
What's the cable's construction / structure?
Pure Silver? Litz? Solid Core?

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,081 of 4,426
Hey Bootsy1, do you know if the Progress is Haru's totl cable? How much does it cost?
What's the cable's construction / structure?
Pure Silver? Litz? Solid Core?
Wagnus has its roots deep within copper & SPC at most, AFAIK. So unless Haru-san changes his philosophy dramatically I don't think you're gonna find any silver gold type cables from him.

But one thing is he's able to do magic with copper based cables that rivals silver & silver/gold based competitors.

@FMTTM, my Uber had been Fitear terminated as such couldn't participate in the tests.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,082 of 4,426
Wagnus has its roots deep within copper & SPC at most, AFAIK. So unless Haru-san changes his philosophy dramatically I don't think you're gonna find any silver gold type cables from him.

But one thing is he's able to do magic with copper based cables that rivals silver & silver/gold based competitors.

@FMTTM, my Uber had been Fitear terminated as such couldn't participate in the tests.

Too bad that both can't do a see off head to head. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #2,083 of 4,426

Thanks for the detailed impressions, Bootsy.

Let's say I want to make a personal request to Haru, to construct a cable that surpasses yours in every possible way imaginable, with no budget limit.

Will he entertain such request(s)?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back