Brand New LD MKIII - Very Low Volume (plus some other ?s)
Nov 27, 2008 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chingyul

Head-Fier
Hey,

I got brand new Little Dot MKIII in the mail today.
Set everything up:
Laptop --> SuperPro 707 USB DAC --> LD MKIII --> Senn HK580

Anyways, I moved all 4 gain switches to off (against the side with numbers).
Anyways, I have the volume on the LD at 10%, and that's at slightly higher than my usual listening volume.

My take is that I have it set on the high impedence setting which should be good for the 300 Ohm 580s. Right?

I have the ground loop issue too. Thought that hooking up all my components through a common ground (using a power bar) would solve that problem...but it doesn't. Anyways, using a "cheater" plug (a travel adapter I have), which works. Plan to get the ground loop isolater later.

Question on that though. Would using a Radio Shack quality isolator negatively affect sound quality if you've invested in good quality cables?

Last part.
How long should you let the tubes warm up before using them?
It's sounding a bit muffled right now. What changes occur with burn in?

Thanks for the help! Set up is done......at least for the next while.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 5
If I am just listening for pleasure I start listening right after the amp is turned on. If I am going to do critical listening I wait about 30-45 minutes after I turn the amp on, same w/ SS amps BTW.

Burn in, as a norm will tighten the bass and rounds off the rough edges of the top end. Many times the soundstage opens up and the mids get airier and more detailed.

But then again way too many variables, only you will be able to tell. Good luck and enjoy your new toy. Congratulations!

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingyul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I got brand new Little Dot MKIII in the mail today.
Set everything up:
Laptop --> SuperPro 707 USB DAC --> LD MKIII --> Senn HK580

Anyways, I moved all 4 gain switches to off (against the side with numbers).
Anyways, I have the volume on the LD at 10%, and that's at slightly higher than my usual listening volume.

My take is that I have it set on the high impedence setting which should be good for the 300 Ohm 580s. Right?

I have the ground loop issue too. Thought that hooking up all my components through a common ground (using a power bar) would solve that problem...but it doesn't. Anyways, using a "cheater" plug (a travel adapter I have), which works. Plan to get the ground loop isolater later.

Question on that though. Would using a Radio Shack quality isolator negatively affect sound quality if you've invested in good quality cables?

Last part.
How long should you let the tubes warm up before using them?
It's sounding a bit muffled right now. What changes occur with burn in?

Thanks for the help! Set up is done......at least for the next while.

Give the unit a least 40hrs burn and from there its just keep getting better!!!!! Sound is far more dynamic, clarity and depth to another level. great amp.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Just ordered my LD MK III - really lookin' forward to my early Xmas gift...

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 5
to answer your first question, absolutely not. the interconnects transfer audio, the ground loop isolator is attached outside of the power supply portion of the circuits!

unless, of course, you believe that expensive POWER cables somehow make a difference, in which case you might believe that different isolators impart different sounds on the audio signal. of course, in my humblest of opinions, this is complete BS and shouldnt make a lick of difference
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back